Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:40:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Would appreciate advice...  (Read 2807 times)

wetwhopper

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Hi guys. So I'm currently rocking an 8 year old Malibu Mini X that I'm getting ready to repair. I sold my boat and am seriously considering adding another yak to the fleet.

90% of my fishing is done in a shallow bay, bottom fishing with very light tackle and where maneuverability is key. My easy paddle is about a mile to fishing grounds.

I'm very interested in also fishing Seiku, Neah Bay, Cannon Beach and am very interested in La Push. Way deeper water more of a vertical jig and a longer paddle.

Although I would love to own a Hobbie, it's out of my price range and I worry about the mirage drive getting hung up on rocks where I do most of my fishing.

I'm thinking along the lines of 11'-13' max in length and like Ocean Kayak, Malibu and Wilderness Systems offerings.

Is an 11' Trident too short to do someplace like Neah Bay or La Push? Am I crazy to think Imcan fish Neah Bay with my Malibu Mini X?

The last thing is I appreciate performance and would be willing to give up a little stability... I don't want a barge.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Don't overlook storage and mounting points.  I am a huge fan of Wilderness Systems Tarpons but once each trip, I find myself wishing for a rod pod like those on the Ocean Kayak Tridents.

Sorry, can't guess about using the Mini X without knowing how tall you are, and how much you weigh.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Hi guys. So I'm currently rocking an 8 year old Malibu Mini X that I'm getting ready to repair. I sold my boat and am seriously considering adding another yak to the fleet.

90% of my fishing is done in a shallow bay, bottom fishing with very light tackle and where maneuverability is key. My easy paddle is about a mile to fishing grounds.

I'm very interested in also fishing Seiku, Neah Bay, Cannon Beach and am very interested in La Push. Way deeper water more of a vertical jig and a longer paddle.

Although I would love to own a Hobbie, it's out of my price range and I worry about the mirage drive getting hung up on rocks where I do most of my fishing.

I'm thinking along the lines of 11'-13' max in length and like Ocean Kayak, Malibu and Wilderness Systems offerings.

Is an 11' Trident too short to do someplace like Neah Bay or La Push? Am I crazy to think Imcan fish Neah Bay with my Malibu Mini X?

The last thing is I appreciate performance and would be willing to give up a little stability... I don't want a barge.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I caught tons of fish off the Mini-x in waters that I think most would deem unfit for a kayak that is so small and slow.  And looking back, I think most people were correct.  The main issue is not the small size of the mini-x, it was the slow speed.  It just meant that if some weather conditions did kick up, it took twice as long as to get back in to launch.  90% of the days it wasn't an issue.  But I did get caught once with a buddy and not only did I put myself in danger, but put the other kayaker who was in a more "ocean worthy" kayak (Prowler 13 I think) in danger as well.

With the mini-x, you will likely be fishing alone unless you have some super tolerant friends because the speed will be so much slower.    But for the reasons stated above, you don't want to fish alone in a mini-x on the water. 

I LOVE my Hobie Outback, but they are upper end for price.  You can hit rocks with the pedal drives, but you can also pin them up against the hull so they are out of the way. 

Though I got my start in kayak fishing in Grey's Harbor by Westport,I don't know enough about La Push or Neah Bay from a kayak angling perspective.  I have a feeling people are going to sway you away from the mini-x.  More experienced anglers will chime in I am sure. 

I think you are on the right track though asking these questions. 
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015

I think you're on the right track here.  I don't have any first-hand experience with the boats you're asking about, but before I got into my Hobie I was using a 13' Perception Triumph (13' long, 30" beam), so performance-wise it's in the ballpark.  What kardinal_84 said about speed is spot on.  When you're out on the salt speed is your friend.  If you're leaning toward a 13' sort of boat, leave room in your budget for a rudder kit if the boat you buy doesn't come with one.  A 13' boat is easy enough to handle on a calm day, but they don't turn nearly as fast as your Mini-X, and more importantly when the weather kicks up and you are running for shore, you don't want to be wasting paddling energy fighting weather cocking.  I used my Perception for a long time without a rudder, and when I got one it was a complete game changer. 
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011

I think you're on the right track here.  I don't have any first-hand experience with the boats you're asking about, but before I got into my Hobie I was using a 13' Perception Triumph (13' long, 30" beam), so performance-wise it's in the ballpark.  What kardinal_84 said about speed is spot on.  When you're out on the salt speed is your friend.  If you're leaning toward a 13' sort of boat, leave room in your budget for a rudder kit if the boat you buy doesn't come with one.  A 13' boat is easy enough to handle on a calm day, but they don't turn nearly as fast as your Mini-X, and more importantly when the weather kicks up and you are running for shore, you don't want to be wasting paddling energy fighting weather cocking.  I used my Perception for a long time without a rudder, and when I got one it was a complete game changer. 

95% of the time I don't regret the lack of a rudder on my Prowler 13.  The few times I would have found it useful it would have still been dubious to try as it was at night in a river with stiff winds.

Personally, especially in salt water, I view a rudder as more of a tracking aid than a turning aid.  But for the conditions that make that especially necessary I usually avoid going out anyway.

For a paddle kayak you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with a Trident 13.  Nearly if not the same hull as my Prowler, but with a mod-pod.  Price on them is reasonable too.
2012 ORC 5th Place

yakbass

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
The trident 13 is a great boat. More agressive chines for stability vs the prowler hull and a bit dryer. I may have mentioned this in other similar posts but I am getting ready to sell my trident 15 if you are interested in a bigger boat that I have never regretted taking the rudder off of.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
95% of the time I don't regret the lack of a rudder on my Prowler 13.  The few times I would have found it useful it would have still been dubious to try as it was at night in a river with stiff winds.

Personally, especially in salt water, I view a rudder as more of a tracking aid than a turning aid.  But for the conditions that make that especially necessary I usually avoid going out anyway.

Maybe my Perception just weathercocks worse than other boats.  I don't have any seat time in an OK, so I can't compare.  Turning is just a side effect, rudders on a paddle kayak are for tracking. 
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
Is an 11' Trident too short to do someplace like Neah Bay or La Push? Am I crazy to think I can fish Neah Bay with my Malibu Mini X?

Another vote for the Trident 13. Ocean Kayak did so many things right with this boat that they haven't had to make major changes to it every year. I have an 11 for my local river, but for what you're doing the 13 tracks better and they cost about the same. Another, and often under-rated reason to consider OK, is that their hulls have the best plastic (IMO); they are strong and much lighter weight than most of the other companies (for plastic). You'll thank yourself after you're tired from fishing. It's very frustrating trying to handle a heavy, off-balance kayak after a long day on the water. (I love the Outback, until I have to lift its heavy butt off the ground... Ha ha)
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

wetwhopper

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Wow. Tons of good informative info. Sounds like a 13' Trident is the way to go. My friend bought a "blem" direct from the factory. I'll have to start saving up. I guess I'll hold off doing the bigger trips until I have a bigger kayak.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 12:56:21 AM by wetwhopper »

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Yes, Trident 13 is the way to go.  But, I'm a bit biased.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh