Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:15:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:40:17 PM]

[Today at 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: My new ride  (Read 2735 times)

Honu

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016

Honu

• Herring
Sooooo, I was wondering and searching for the best topic to post this in but I can't seem to figure it out.  I have been paddling this kayak and others but I feel I'm in need of some pointers on paddling technique.
I can do fine most of the time and getting used to this kayak but..... every once in a while I seem to do this crazy Ivan maneuver to the left that has me scratching my head.  I know that this topic does not belong here so to the admins, please feel free to move it where it would be better. 
I was wondering if there is any experienced paddlers in the Spokane/ Coeur d'Alene area that would be willing to meet for some pointers and instruction so I can get my technique down?
I would be happy to spring for lunch of a couple beers for your time.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Sometimes the way you balance your body can have an effect on turning the kayak just due to the shape of your hull.  Do you lean into your paddle strokes? I've been told that is poor technique - but that's why I have a pedal kayak.

Honu

• Herring
I try and get a good long reach and pull straight but it would really help to have someone watch from one side then the other. To see if im doing something wrong.  Also i was going down wind at the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
There is a better site out there that I found and posted here years ago, but in the mean time take a look at this site for ideas to improve your paddle stroke efficiency.

http://www.kayakpaddling.net

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Tridents are very susceptible to what's known as Weather Cocking, as are most longer kayaks. A rudder will help that.  Over the years I've learned that they are also sensitive to balance issues when loaded so pay attention to where you put things.

Being a larger guy, and having a permanent twist to my body posture due to massive lower back repairs, I also found out that how you sit also affects your tracking, so look at that as a possible problem.

I see you have foot pegs on your yak. Try this: as you pull your stroke push with the opposite leg and keep that pattern as you go forward. not only will it give you more speed and power, Tridents respond and track best at higher hull speeds.

besides the links to the other sites posted, look at www.topkayaker.net for more tips and tricks. 
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Honu

• Herring
Thanks for the replies, good stuff on the web links.  Appreciate all your help.
Mahalo,
Scott

anything