Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:14:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 22, 2024, 10:14:53 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 08:59:01 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Kayak Selection???  (Read 3968 times)

joecool911

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
I've been trying to select a kayak for fishing. My uneducated and inexperienced selection is the Hobie Pro Angler 14. I've received quite a few comments about how I should get the Outback instead. I'm sure it's use specific, so here are my intended needs...

Fishing...estuaries like Newport, going out from beaches like pacific city, Willamette river trolling and anchoring, same on Columbia. I might do a few lakes, but mostly fishing for bottom fish and salmon.

I've got some arthritis in my knees, hips. I am a big guy...6' 300#. I am 59 years old. Have never been in a kayak.  I feel like the mirage drive is necessary to allow for varied propulsion and use of different muscles. I also intend to have a paddle and sail. I've been a sailor for decades.

The biggest comments I get revolve around mobility of the kayak. But with a good loading system, I see no problems here. I feel like the added stability of the PA 14 and payload potential is worth it.

I guess I'm looking for some experiences with the PA14 and possibly comments from those who have been on both. I will go down and get a test drive. But that won't be a test in all conditions. When the water gets rough and choppy for instance, you may not know the capabilities until you get caught in it.

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
The Outback will do far better in the salt and I believe will be more stable going through the surf. I believe the PAs have some issues getting through the surf and will take far more effort to push around in the ocean. Heavier and more surface area to get blown around. Try both but for all the water you describe I'd suggest outback.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I weigh 175 pounds.  I don’t think I’m qualified to provide an opinion on what pedal kayak, Hobie or other, would be best for a guy who weighs 300 pounds.  If you don’t get any suggestions from other plus-sized kayak fishermen on this forum, I suggest that you also ask your questions on the Hobie Cat Forum, https://www.hobiecat.com/forums/ , particularly the kayaking topic, https://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=11&sid=c4be92e5cf5627cd8f475b661c983373 , and the Hobie Kayak Fishing Facebook group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/HobieKayakFishing/ .  Hopefully some generously proportioned kayak anglers on those forums will provide you with expert advice.  I hope you can find a kayak which works well for you.

If you have a lot of sailing experience, have you checked out the Hobie Adventure Island?

It seems to me that one issue is whether and how you can climb back into different models of kayak if you flip the kayak or fall out.  It may never happen to you, but you definitely need to figure out how to get back into your kayak if you fall out.  Perhaps an advantage of the Pro Angler kayaks is that you could attach a rope ladder to the stern of a Pro Angler, and use the ladder to climb in over the stern.  I suspect that a Pro Angler would stay relatively level when you climb in over the stern, and if you climb with your heel on one side of the ladder and your toe on the other, and hold the ladder and the stern against your chest with your arms as you climb with your legs, that may prevent your legs from swinging under the kayak as you climb.  It might be even easier for you to climb back into an Adventure Island than a Pro Angler.

Another issue is how much your weight will push the kayak down into the water.  If your weight submerges the holes for the rudder cables, you may get water inside your kayak.  And you may get water from the scupper holes pooling in the seat area and rear cargo area.  A bigger kayak like the Pro Angler should have less trouble with these problems.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 01:48:39 PM by pmmpete »

Pounder

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
I have 2 outbacks and 2 Pro Anglers.  In all honesty I bought the Outbacks thinking I would use them when I went offshore. (and for friends that wanted to come with me.)  90% of the time the Outbacks stay in the garage because I have learned how better to navigate this heavy pig.  They are so heavy they just plow through surf launches with absolutely zero problems.  I just do surf landings backwards if the surf looks rough.  Or if the surf has turned to horrible I will just bail off of the side in my drysuit and hang onto the back handle and ride the waves in.   It shines on flatwater and I stand in mine often to stretch my legs.   I also use them on lower sections of my local rivers for salmon/steelhead.   I would put my PA up against any other model in capability as long as it isn't a race LOL.  I can pedal it all day and my wife pedals hers right along with me.  Best purchase in my health I could ever make.  Hope this helps.
My body thinks my brain's gone crazy.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I wouldn't suggest the Adventure Island to anyone over 250#.  Even with the ama's and aka's deployed, my 220#'s is more than enough weight to make it sit low enough in the water that the tank well has 1-2" of water in it all times.  I believe the rated load capacity is only 350# and I'm no where near that.

The Outback would be doable with a 400# capacity, and I agree that the PA 14 might be a better fit with 600# capacity.  With a trailer or bed extender, it shouldn't be to much of a hassle to load and unload to go fishing. 

I would have reservations about fishing Pacific City or any other beach launch if you are not at least in some sort of shape regardless of Outback or PA14, as both will be  A LOT harder to get back into if you fall out in the surf zone.

Rivers, lakes, ponds, bays and areas like Depoe Bay and Sunset bay will have much easier launch options for those bigger kayaks being a plus plus sized dude.  Just say'n.  :-\

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

• Date Registered: Oct 2009
IMHO, the PA-14 will be the safest choice  :banjo:

joecool911

• Krill
How bout if I get a PA14 and my wife an Outback that I can borrow?

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Now you are getting into the spirit.  I like the way you think.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

If you have the greens to do it, I'd say go for it. 
Just don't run out of money before getting a dry suit or proper immersion gear.

:headbang:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
No one talked about trying to paddle the PA for any distance if your knees begin to act up on you.

I've never been in one, but can anyone comment about that part?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
And here is a killer deal from our own Jammer's fleet on a PA14.

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=18230.0;topicseen

joecool911

• Krill
I've been in contact and hope to get a chance to work with him!

coastrider

• Perch
  • PNW Flyfishing Forum
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I would love a pedal drive but my knees are the reason I gave up float tubes and got a kayak. Best of luck in your search

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Pounder

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
No one talked about trying to paddle the PA for any distance if your knees begin to act up on you.

I've never been in one, but can anyone comment about that part?

It was technically classified as a Personal Fishing Boat on the website, not a kayak.  And it paddles like a boat!  I am 6'4" and I can paddle it in emergency situations with no problems, but my wife who is a foot shorter at 5'4" cannot get a clean stroke over the gunnel rails.  So she has to sit way forward, and up to get any traction.  If you are taller in stature, it shouldn't be a problem if you needed to paddle in emergencies.  The Pro Angler also has a much higher profile on the water, making it much more susceptible to wind.  Wouldn't want to paddle one from the halibut grounds, but I suppose it could be done if there was no alternative.
My body thinks my brain's gone crazy.

• Date Registered: Mar 2016
Here is my 2 cents from a big guy,

I'm currently 6'3" 270 and my first kayak purchase was a Pa 14. At first I loved it, but soon got tired of the large, heavy, and bulky miniboat. A couple months later I purchased my 2nd kayak, a revo 13. The first time out it felt a bit unstable, but that feeling soon went away, and now i'm so glad I went with this purchase! The revo 13 is much faster, and so lightweight so I can bring it just about anywhere. I have been in seas as much as 8ft at 8 seconds and still feel safe (as safe as someone can feel in those conditions lol). This kayak still has plenty of room for all the gadgets you will ever need! (I'm rigged up with a downrigger for salmon, hobie rod holders, fish finder, and more! This past year was my first full season of kayak fishing, and I brought up 3 halibut in the 20-35 pound range, and at least 20 kings this month.

My recommendation is to get to a shop and test out some before you buy. For your size I would lean towards a outback, but if you plan on dropping even a little weight don't shy away from the revo.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 07:08:39 PM by jakeandrae »

anything