Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:03:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Check your tethers  (Read 3283 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I had a fit of insanity yesterday and decided I should practice self-rescue in cooler weather than mid-July, so I went to the lake...

I had my folding boat knife in the Revo's side pocket, tethered to a float with Mason's twine.  During the third roll, I saw it fly out of the pocket and figured "No big deal" until I was back on and searched for it.  The float was laying on it's side and a ridiculously expensive knife was on the bottom of the lake.

The Mason's twine had deteriorated from getting wet too often, and I had never checked it since I'd tethered it to the knife.

Check the little things, too.  NYNW.

And I find myself in the market for a good but reasonably-priced folding knife that won't rust when carried out in saltwater.  Any suggestions?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I have my radio and little stuff I don't want to lose tied off with 220# tuna cord. I don't know what mason twine is rated at, but the blue cord is pretty tough.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

skidlybo

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
This knife isn't folding but I'm happy with its size, versatility and it clips right on to my pfd (still needs some sort of tether though):

http://www.nrs.com/product/47303.02/nrs-co-pilot-knife

I've also had success making custom length tethers/leashes for everything from a crab gauge to a fish calming device with this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/T-W-Evans-Cordage-SC-108-100-100-Feet/dp/B00DKA4TOK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1426365729&sr=8-4&keywords=1%2F8%27+bungee+cord

https://www.amazon.com/LEM-Products-8-Inch-Hog-Rings/dp/B002PNJTZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426365999&sr=8-1&keywords=stainless+steel+hog+rings

All you need is a set of hog ring pliers.  They probably make stainless hog rings but these galvanized ones have held up pretty well for me.

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I had a fit of insanity yesterday and decided I should practice self-rescue in cooler weather than mid-July, so I went to the lake...

I had my folding boat knife in the Revo's side pocket, tethered to a float with Mason's twine.  During the third roll, I saw it fly out of the pocket and figured "No big deal" until I was back on and searched for it.  The float was laying on it's side and a ridiculously expensive knife was on the bottom of the lake.

The Mason's twine had deteriorated from getting wet too often, and I had never checked it since I'd tethered it to the knife.

Check the little things, too.  NYNW.

And I find myself in the market for a good but reasonably-priced folding knife that won't rust when carried out in saltwater.  Any suggestions?

I have this one. Have not had to use it in anger though but it has been in the water a number of times for self rescue practice. No rust in freshwater.
https://www.amazon.com/Stohlquist-5475-Squeeze-Lock-Knife/dp/B004ZR9DHA
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
All my tethers are 550 paracord, bright yella with reflective threads in 'em. Don't forget to seal the ends with a lighter after you make cuts.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
All my tethers are 550 paracord, bright yella with reflective threads in 'em. Don't forget to seal the ends with a lighter after you make cuts.

Now you offer-up the paracord tip?  The barn door's already open.    ;D

I used an oversized bobber and thought myself quite clever for threading mason's twine thru the bobber since parachute cord didn't fit.  I'm thinking that next time I'll use tuna cord like Ling Banger suggests, or one of Ling Ling Herro's home-made coiled tethers.  And look at it once in a while.  And keep it in the boat.

I like the tip about using paracord with reflective threads where I use paracord.  Duh!  That should have been a no-brainer - if I only had a brain.   

Guys, I have a safety knife on the PFD and that's where it will stay until I need it.  I lost the EDC knife I use for everything else.  But thank you for your suggestions and...

Merry Christmas to all!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 01:23:25 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

anything