Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:15:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Kayak Steely Doggin  (Read 4851 times)

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
No love from the springer God’s the day before so we battled ice, snow, sleet & rain to launch on an unnamed dropping coastal river. Bobber doggin from the kayak allowed access to drifts otherwise out of reach from the bank. A great camaraderie of experienced fishermen; I had the pleasure of witnessing a skilled veteran navigate & fish most corners of this river with the grace of a drift boat. The stars aligned for me this day & a personal record from the kayak emerged.

If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
Hen

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
The Predator.

Unable to download more than 1 photo at a time...

-The Old Man and the Sea

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Very impressive!!

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
No love from the springer God’s the day before so we battled ice, snow, sleet & rain to launch on an unnamed dropping coastal river. Bobber doggin from the kayak allowed access to drifts otherwise out of reach from the bank. A great camaraderie of experienced fishermen; I had the pleasure of witnessing a skilled veteran navigate & fish most corners of this river with the grace of a drift boat. The stars aligned for me this day & a personal record from the kayak emerged.

excellent, beautiful fish.   I'm still looking for the right stretch of steelhead river here on the central coast to bobber dog from a kayak...
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Fantastic!  Way to score on such clean fish, and hatchery clipped at that!  I used to kayak fish for steel in NorCal, and man it's a kick hooking one of those beasts from the 'yak.

I'm still looking for the right stretch of steelhead river here on the central coast to bobber dog from a kayak...
Same here.  I'm alright with bank fishing, but I really want to get my boat on one of the larger systems for some good ole side-drifting and boondogging.  Or bobber-dogging, since that seems like a popular method on the snaggier rivers.
aMayesing Bros.

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
Fantastic!  Way to score on such clean fish, and hatchery clipped at that!  I used to kayak fish for steel in NorCal, and man it's a kick hooking one of those beasts from the 'yak.

I'm still looking for the right stretch of steelhead river here on the central coast to bobber dog from a kayak...
Same here.  I'm alright with bank fishing, but I really want to get my boat on one of the larger systems for some good ole side-drifting and boondogging.  Or bobber-dogging, since that seems like a popular method on the snaggier rivers.

Roger the Siletz, Alsea, & Siuslaw are good rivers for this method as well.

Right on Clayman, looking forward to your report! I don't make it to float down south as much as I should anymore.

Side drifting/boondogging is one of my favorite ways to fish but from the kayak, especially paddle, bobber doggin is really so much more effective for me for many reasons including less snags. I prefer long stretches of water, dragging my business through the zone at a speed that matches the current for as long as possible without effecting its natural drift by poor mending or not mending at all. The bobber acts as an indicator for my drift lanes & with my gear dragging behind it I know exactly where I'm fishing. Reading the behavior of the bobber when your effectively doggin, it will tell you exactly what water column it’s fishing & the depth of the section it’s in. In a yak there’s boat control & multitasking while trying to mend your line & that bobber acts as a buffer for error between you & your terminal while you paddle & fish. This method is effective with almost any type of terminal & this winter it even worked on the Deschutes using fly gear, stoneflies & nymphs.

-The Old Man and the Sea

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
That's so excellent!!

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Beautiful fish MS!! You've been on fire man!!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

Jammer

• KayakFishingOregon.com
  • Sturgeon
  • Kayak Fishing Oregon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Incredible! Great job guys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
• Stohlquist • Team Daiwa • Yakima Bait Company

2015 Hobie Fishing Team "Top Gun"
2012 Hobie Worlds Team USA - 19th place
2012 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2010 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place
2010 Cape Dis. Dungie Tourney - 1st place

KAYAK FISHING OREGON
www.youtube.com/jmrischer

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017

Roger the Siletz, Alsea, & Siuslaw are good rivers for this method as well.

Right on Clayman, looking forward to your report! I don't make it to float down south as much as I should anymore.

Side drifting/boondogging is one of my favorite ways to fish but from the kayak, especially paddle, bobber doggin is really so much more effective for me for many reasons including less snags. I prefer long stretches of water, dragging my business through the zone at a speed that matches the current for as long as possible without effecting its natural drift by poor mending or not mending at all. The bobber acts as an indicator for my drift lanes & with my gear dragging behind it I know exactly where I'm fishing. Reading the behavior of the bobber when your effectively doggin, it will tell you exactly what water column it’s fishing & the depth of the section it’s in. In a yak there’s boat control & multitasking while trying to mend your line & that bobber acts as a buffer for error between you & your terminal while you paddle & fish. This method is effective with almost any type of terminal & this winter it even worked on the Deschutes using fly gear, stoneflies & nymphs.
Some really good points on the bobber-dogging technique.  The only bobber fishing I've done is drifting eggs for Chinook, but that was from the shore.  You running your baits/jigs a foot or two off the bottom?

Since I'm new to this area I'm pretty foreign to all the big rivers around here.  So my kayak steelheading might have to wait until next winter, after I've scouted the rivers during low flows in summer and IDed the ideal floats.  Unless, of course, someone here with river experience wouldn't mind showing a new guy a little 411  ;).
aMayesing Bros.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Great looking pair of fish. Congratulations.  The weather doesn't look to bad either.  Looks like a new photo of the month to me.

In a yak there’s boat control & multitasking while trying to mend your line & that bobber acts as a buffer for error between you & your terminal while you paddle & fish. This method is effective with almost any type of terminal & this winter it even worked on the Deschutes using fly gear, stoneflies & nymphs.

For trout or steelhead?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 06:18:27 PM by snopro »

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Yeah buddy!    :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Awesome!
Rivers let alone steelhead, are not easy out of a kayak!  Great job!
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Smitty

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
I have never caught a steel head before and looking at your pictures I just can't get over how big a tail those guys have.  Looks like they would put up a heck of a fight.  I am going to have to find a place to go fishing for them.

Nice catch, congrats
2016 Hobie Outback