Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:31:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Crow Butte Park - WA side  (Read 3459 times)

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Getting closer to pulling the trigger and heading to Crow Butte park Friday PM for some walleye fishing.  Will know for sure Monday evening.  Will try for a few hours of evening fishing Friday and then at least a half-day on Saturday the 10th.  Thinking I'll try tent camping in the park as it looks like a decent little camp ground.  Will be coming from Kent.  Looks like there's some protection from wind, at least reasonable wind for the Columbia.  It's about 60 miles south and west of Richland.  Drop a note if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 06:17:11 PM by Trident 13 »

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
The park is really nice but can really wreak havoc on you if you have allergies.

A week ago or so, my dads friends were just up there and did OK. Some 10- 12lbrs caught.
They said that the bulk of the fish are still holding in the Columbia and should start moving into the backwaters to start gobble up perch.

With your kayak, there is a nice swim beach to launch from as well as a few trails in the campground you can get down to the water from.

Good luck, its a fun fishery.

P.S...Don't attempt to venture out into the mainstream Columbia unless you have a buddy kayak or clear communications with a power boater.  I tried fishing it once, and it was a shocker.  I snagged bottom in 60 FOW and nearly yanked myself out my kayak, as the current was ripping up there.  There is a huge drop off right where the back waters meet the mainstream Columbia and I thought I would try to fish the shelf.  Bad idea!   :o

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 09:57:42 AM by INSAYN »

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Trident 13

• Salmon
Appreciate the tips.  Allergy free, so that shouldn't bother.    This is an area I'm going to take some shots at, hoping to stay close in and have some good reports that they are doing well on the edges.  Got some great advice from another yaker. Looking for some good eaters, but, a 10-lber would be exciting.  Wind comes up pretty quickly. Don't see the need to cross over unless others show up and it a team trip.   Just nice to know how far it is across in the planning map. Plan on using 20-lb braid but with an 8-lb breakaway leader. Got the tow vehicle coil replaced this morning and unless something else pops up I'll be heading out about 1:30 Friday.
Took a while to figure out how to set the tent up in the living room last night, took a lot less time to take some sharp barbs from my wife, but the cat thinks it should stay up all the time.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 12:13:43 PM by Trident 13 »

Trident 13

• Salmon
Crow is booked solid for camping so might have to stay be 30 minutes out for the night, but still heading over from a Friday PM Saturday morning run at the big eyes.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Call and ask them if there is any room left in the over flow area near the boat ramp.  I believe there was some grass in that area.
The Crow Butte park is a very popular place for the walleye guys and pretty much stays booked.

The area you have circled is definitely a the go to trolling area.   Just get in line with the rest of the boats and troll away. 

Many eaters are also caught where the Columbia flows into the back waters through a culvert under the land bridge road there. It is really shallow, but easily paddle territory until you get to the outlet area.  You will see a ton of locals that park way up by the highway and walk the land bridge and sit right on the culvert, or fish all around it.

Bottom line, find the perch and you will find the walleye.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Trident 13

• Salmon
Thanks, good suggestions.  I was told even the overflow camping area was full so rather than risk and unknown, I committed to a hotel in Umatilla for Friday night, $58 for something (OK, still an unknown) and seeing what "something" is will be part of the excitement.  It's 30 minutes away from Crow Butte.  Also, it gets me out of attending a college graduation for a friend of my wife, so it's worth the cost of the trip just for that.

Would enjoy moving up into the shallow out far enough not to bother the land guys and do some casting with a rapala, so that's for the culvert tip.  It's more about the hunt that the catch, but dang, I like walleye over east with lemon pepper sauteed in butter.

Trident 13

• Salmon
Just a bump, hope to be fishing by 5 PM Friday for an evening bite off Crow Butte Park along the above map lines if anyone in the area is interested.  Will stay in Umatilla for the night and be back early till noonish or the kayak is full.  Depending on fishing and wind, might try the Plymouth Park area. White/camo Trident 13 targeting walleye. Send a PM with number if you're interested in meeting up and want a call.

Thanks for the tips Insayn, won't be pushing too far out or across the river, lots of respect for it and the wind.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 09:10:30 AM by Trident 13 »

Trident 13

• Salmon
Jim put me on the fish and Insayn provided good advice about the current. Friday the yak stayed dry as the wind was blowing hard directly into the inlet at crow butte park, nice place.  I picked up a nice bass from the marina dock and it paid the price as I needed proof I was actually fishing. 
Checked out Plymouth park and thought I'd seen the fastest swimming pelicans ever until I realized they riding the current even right along the bank.  Two walleye guides strongly advised against an attempt and following Insayn's advice, I passed,  I should have tried the swimming beach launch into the small bay where there's little to no current, lesson for others or my next time.
Saturday launch was at crow butte even though the wind was the same.  It was a 20 minute paddle to the inlet insayn mentioned and 1"30" hard minutes back.  I tried casting a rapala but everything was wind affected.  Was able to get to the bottom in the center of the bay just off the marina with a 1 oz banana to trail a worm on a harness in 20 ft of water.  Paddling with about 2.5 mph effort I was able to go slow enough with every 4-5 wave crested the bow.  Trying to decide if I had a strike or wave induced bounce was tough.  Made the mistake of not leaving the lead deep enough in the water just once.  Had a deadly scud projectile flying around for a bit. Headed in after two hours of constant paddling in the center and picked up a small walleye.  (I would say the cutting board was 3"X6", but it wasn't) It's like that rare good hit playing golf, so back out I went.  Caught some small bass and at one point it was so windy I was challenged just switching gear so went into the marina and had a husband women team come over and laugh, they had been watching decided not to launch, but have caught many walleye right where I was.   
Had several hits, but with a high extension on the pole holder so I could paddle hard it was tough to catch any more.
If I can go back, I'd have small trolling weights and up to two oz bananas.  The fish were there and some boats were catching them, so a good trip overall, good fish, bad wind.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 10:36:39 AM by Trident 13 »