Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:56:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Chapter trailer build!  (Read 11820 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Dang!  Where's the Tiki Bar and Stripper pole?

HeliumHead has a great nack for rendering, but Mojo I think you are over engineering the concept.

Keep it simple so it is low cost and completely functional.

Look for used truck bed boxes that just need paint and keys for locker boxes.

The waders can always be hung out to dry wherever the trailer is stored. PFD's dry quick enough.

You've already heard my thoughts on plans via email. Could meet up for a beer and chat to discuss more.
I know, we're putting out ideas and reeling in more, there's a real possibility that this thing is going to be stored outside on the coast so the boats we'll be tarped and no real way to hang gear long term to dry. Now if you want to toss ideas around over a body of salt water while fishing your talking my speed. Not a beer fan. Wiskeys quicker but I don't drive after two.  :spittake:

Root beer (and whiskey) works!

Keep in mind, wet waders stored outdoors covered by a tarp, or in a closet will still mold.  It will be all the wiser to make the extra effort to rinse off salt water, or scum water from said waders, and hang dry upside down in an environment that allows for proper drying.  Then packing them up in breathable bags/boxes and stored indoors or garage to avoid the heavily moist air found around the beach area would be most effective at combating the nasties.  Just hanging the waders in a locker on the trailer outside even covered with a tarp, your results will be less than desirable. 

Putting a water tank on the trailer would be pretty easy for rinsing gear off.  Again keep it simple.
Something like this would work.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200624833_200624833?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Lawn%20%2B%20Garden%20%3E%20Sprayers%20%3E%20Broadcast%20%2B%20Spot%20Sprayers&utm_campaign=Ironton&utm_content=2682050&gclid=CjwKCAjw2s_MBRA5EiwAmWIac5jNySk8iDLekbZHoou06egSsl1htI-g_QNl2hp5_xL94be1MIL4oRoC-NEQAvD_BwE

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Helium, I have a few questions regarding your renderings of the kayak racks mounted off the side of the center locker/closet.

How are these bars/tubes attached to the center box?

What kind of framing is being used behind the closet wall?

Can you stress test your renderings?
Im thinking, out load here, build the rack as an eco-skeleton that bolts to the trailerand sits around the box, again just thinking out load. This is the first idea going on the design block, as we get input and ideas we can modify and change things.

As for needs list:
Hold 8 boats, paddles, and seats
Hold a couple dozen trout rods and salmon rods with reels
Hold 24 pairs of waders
Hold our pfd's 8 (I think) but ideally 12
Hold our camping gear with room to add more
Keep all the above dry and secured if parked outside
Towable by an SUV OR 1/2 ton truck (ideally a Toyota size truck)

Wants list:
A place to hang dry the waders, unless someone volunteers to take that over ( I live in a 40 ft RV) I can't do it.
Wash/rinse station
Changing curtain
Led rigging lights with a 12 volt deep cycle battery
Led upgrade tail lights with additional led strips on the kayak cross bars

List might grow or shrink.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Now I understand what you're trying to do, but I don't see it working.

I'm right on the coast, and I've learned everything will get moldy if you store it the way you've described unless you can keep dry air circulating around it.  Not just the waders and PFD's but also the seats, the bungees, and the rod handles...  DAMHIK.

And I don't see a way around metal corrosion issues caused by the salt air.

It's a tough challenge, Mojo. You have to store things outdoors, and I don't see the way around the mold and corrosion problem -  but I'm no INSAYN.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 03:01:45 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon

I'm right on the coast, and I've learned everything will get moldy if you store it the way you've described unless you can keep dry air circulating around it.  Not just the waders and PFD's but also the seats, the bungees, and the rod handles...  DAMHIK.

It's a tough challenge, Mojo. You have to store things outdoors, and I don't see the way around the mold and corrosion problem -  but I'm no INSAYN.
Well aware of coastal issues, I have lived here on the coast for 8 years. We're looking for indoor storage for everything but Coast storage is premium. It would also be great if someone were to volunteer as our Chapter equipment coordinator and had the ability to rinse, dry, and store it all or at least the "moldables" . Lots of chapters use inclosed trailers just not sure of there environment conditions. 

Shannon

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015

Well aware of coastal issues, I have lived here on the coast for 8 years. We're looking for indoor storage for everything but Coast storage is premium. It would also be great if someone were to volunteer as our Chapter equipment coordinator and had the ability to rinse, dry, and store it all or at least the "moldables" . Lots of chapters use inclosed trailers just not sure of there environment conditions.

There's "climate controlled" storage units cropping up now, sometimes marketed as wine storage. No, really. True story !

I have no idea what they cost, or whether they come in sizes large enough to hold the trailer, etc. I also don't think that would necessarily help, since it doesn't really provide air movement.

I imagine a storage unit with electricity is a bit of a unicorn, as the first thing they'd be used for is grow operations.

In terms of useful suggestions, the only one occurring to me this morning is to canvas other chapters for the details of their designs.

Another idea that occurs to me is that you don't need storage on the trailer for EVERYTHING. The "several dozen rods...." thing is excessive to me - you don't need to bring salmon AND trout/bass gear. You need one or the other. So interchangable stores racks/pods, load up the trout pack, or load up the salmon pack. Leave the other behind. One dozen rods of each in the pack gives you enough slack space with 8 boats plus a few boats brought along by volunteers.

Finally, think about what is going to be towing this. I think you're beyond something that can be pulled by a car like your Outback anyway, and you were talking about a truck. Some of the gear doesn't need to live and ride on the trailer. Kitchen stuff, PFD's, rods could be in the truck bed or back of an SUV.

Which brings another thing to mind. You can't run one of these events solo, so maybe a smaller enclosed trailer holds/carries the wetsuits/pfd's/kitchen ? A 4x6 or 5x8 enclosed trailer could be towed by an Outback or similar car while a truck hauls the boats.

An enclosed trailer with a solar vent/fan might be the answer to moving air around a trailer stored outside.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon

There's "climate controlled" storage units cropping up now, sometimes marketed as wine storage. No, really. True story !

I have no idea what they cost, or whether they come in sizes large enough to hold the trailer, etc. I also don't think that would necessarily help, since it doesn't really provide air movement.

I imagine a storage unit with electricity is a bit of a unicorn, as the first thing they'd be used for is grow operations.

In terms of useful suggestions, the only one occurring to me this morning is to canvas other chapters for the details of their designs.

Another idea that occurs to me is that you don't need storage on the trailer for EVERYTHING. The "several dozen rods...." thing is excessive to me - you don't need to bring salmon AND trout/bass gear. You need one or the other. So interchangable stores racks/pods, load up the trout pack, or load up the salmon pack. Leave the other behind. One dozen rods of each in the pack gives you enough slack space with 8 boats plus a few boats brought along by volunteers.

Finally, think about what is going to be towing this. I think you're beyond something that can be pulled by a car like your Outback anyway, and you were talking about a truck. Some of the gear doesn't need to live and ride on the trailer. Kitchen stuff, PFD's, rods could be in the truck bed or back of an SUV.

Which brings another thing to mind. You can't run one of these events solo, so maybe a smaller enclosed trailer holds/carries the wetsuits/pfd's/kitchen ? A 4x6 or 5x8 enclosed trailer could be towed by an Outback or similar car while a truck hauls the boats.

An enclosed trailer with a solar vent/fan might be the answer to moving air around a trailer stored outside.
A good point on not all needing to be in there, but do you have room to store what we're not using? Or gear needs a place to reside, We live in tight quarters by choice and we love it. As we acquire more gear we need somewhere to store it all dry. I'm scouring the area to see if someone wants to donate a place to park it indoors, as for paid storage units if we got on a long waiting list, I don't see us lasting long paying $150 a month it would drain our resources rapidly. 

Shannon

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Oops!  Sorry, Mojo, in my head that sentence was, "I live on the coast, TOO" because I know you live right on the Bay, and I know you haven't a square inch to spare for storing any of this.

It's a tough dilemma to solve, for sure.

You might be better off using one of those picnic shade/tents to keep rain off everything than you will be using a tarp - assuming you can stake it down when the Winter storms blow through.  And that's as far as my little brain is going to carry me.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 09:50:15 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Mojo, you have a dilemma that you will need to work through. 
Clearly this requires a LOT of resources, be it the trailer, gear, volunteers, etc... 

Being the great guy that you are and tackling the HOW chapter is most commendable.  Hats off to you for taking the leap.

Living on the coast, and it being a coast chapter, it brings with it another layer of issues that must be overcome. 
Cold wet weather most of the year can wreak havoc on anything stored outside, regardless if it is under a tarp or enclosed trailer.
I know of zero cargo trailers within a HOW budget that will mitigate the follies of wet misty conditions dished out by the coastal weather systems. 

The idea of storing the soft stuff inland, and inside a garage might be a really good idea to consider. 
How you go about this is another task in itself. 

The trailer itself can be painted with materials that will severely reduce rusting especially if rinsed occasionally to remove salty air contaminants.  A regular dose of WD40 or Silicon spray on the axle, hubs and springs will keep them from rotting away on you.

The kayaks themselves will be fine, they're plastic. 

I don't know what rods and reels you are using now, or plan to get, but highly suggest two piece so you can break them down for better storage.  Heck the rods and reels could ride in the hull of the top kayak on the trailer to and from the events.  Nobody would know or have time to grab them if you were to stop at a store or gas station along the way to try and steal them.  No need for a locker box for them specifically.

Rinsing down the gear properly will have to be a priority regardless of who does it, even if that's you. 
If gear was used in fresh water, then it will be a simple rinse. However, salty gear will need to be addressed without much wiggle room.

The final thought I want to raise is regarding usage. 

Will you be hosting HOW events during the winter months?  If not, securing your gear inland (preferably garaged) would be a best case scenario for long term quality/reliablility.

The summer months can be off and on at the coast so it's a crap shoot there.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Mojo, have you looked into this? 
Secure storage, heated and close to you.
Looks like you can get into a 10x10 heated unit for under $50 a month, regularly $97 a month.
Just store the gear there, not the kayaks/trailer.

https://www.selfstorageoni5.com/self-storage/or/tillamook/port-storage/storage-unit-sizes#/units?category=Heated

Maybe they would cut you a deal being this is for HOW, and help you fit the trailer as well for a deal?
Currently, they have a 10 x 20 for $69.50 a month, regularly $139 a month.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 10:08:09 AM by INSAYN »

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
Looks like you can get into a 10x10 heated unit for under $50 a month, regularly $97 a month.

https://www.selfstorageoni5.com/self-storage/or/tillamook/port-storage/storage-unit-sizes#/units?category=Heated

Maybe they would cut you a deal being this is for HOW, and help you fit the trailer as well for a deal?
Im working with  a gal from the port currently as well as one of there veteran volunteers to see what we can do there. Still $834 a year will eat at our budget way too fast. I would have no problem storing the gear inland all year as long as we have several volunteers (5-6) that would be willing to tow it here and someone there has the room. . We only need once a month but we all got families and obligations  so we would need plenty of options. Anyone interested and have indoor storage for gear crates we already have two plastic totes,I have to move them every time I need to get into my rolling tool chest in storage  ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 10:48:33 AM by Mojo Jojo »

Shannon

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I think the inland storage will end up creating problems, simply because Shannon won't be able to run into town before each event to check on or address some issue. And especially in the winter with the passes and chain requirements.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
I didn't hear where coastal HOW events were held in the winter months.

Doable, but feasible?

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

Im working with  a gal from the port currently as well as one of there veteran volunteers to see what we can do there. Still $834 a year will eat at our budget way too fast. I would have no problem storing the gear inland all year as long as we have several volunteers (5-6) that would be willing to tow it here and someone there has the room. . We only need once a month but we all got families and obligations  so we would need plenty of options. Anyone interested and have indoor storage for gear crates we already have two plastic totes,I have to move them every time I need to get into my rolling tool chest in storage  ;)

I would still suggest you take the time to see what they (and all other storage places near you) can do to help you, given your tight budget, resources, and location.  No reason to avoid them as an option up front.

Right now it makes sense to work with you have.  You have a trailer, you have kayaks, you have fishing gear.  Not sure what else you have regarding PFDs, waders, etc. 
If you need more resources, like HOW members to assist you on a regular basis, a tow vehicle, and a place for dry storage, then it makes sense to rally your troops and work on these speed bumps before going hog wild on a trailer design. 

Get together and come up with ways to encourage more folks in your local area to support the North Coast HOW Chapter, once, monthly, yearly, physically, etc.

Crank up your Facebook page and make it pop with motivation for others to join you with your chapter needs.

As a group, do some fund raising.
Here is just a small start to options for fundraisers.
-Car wash
-Bake sale
Rummage sale
-Garage sale
-HOW donation jars placed in establishments
-Silent auctions
-Amazon Smile
-BINGO night
-Corn Hole tournament
-Scavenger Hunt
-Applebee’s Pancake Breakfast
-Coffee Donation Kiosk
-Bottle/Can Deposit Donation
-Facebook Donate Now Feature
-Dodgeball Tournament

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon

I would still suggest you take the time to see what they (and all other storage places near you) can do to help you, given your tight budget, resources, and location.  No reason to avoid them as an option up front.

Right now it makes sense to work with you have.  You have a trailer, you have kayaks, you have fishing gear.  Not sure what else you have regarding PFDs, waders, etc. 
If you need more resources, like HOW members to assist you on a regular basis, a tow vehicle, and a place for dry storage, then it makes sense to rally your troops and work on these speed bumps before going hog wild on a trailer design. 

Get together and come up with ways to encourage more folks in your local area to support the North Coast HOW Chapter, once, monthly, yearly, physically, etc.

Crank up your Facebook page and make it pop with motivation for others to join you with your chapter needs.

As a group, do some fund raising.
Here is just a small start to options for fundraisers.
-Car wash
-Bake sale
Rummage sale
-Garage sale
-HOW donation jars placed in establishments
-Silent auctions
-Amazon Smile
-BINGO night
-Corn Hole tournament
-Scavenger Hunt
-Applebee’s Pancake Breakfast
-Coffee Donation Kiosk
-Bottle/Can Deposit Donation
-Facebook Donate Now Feature
-Dodgeball Tournament
I have been canvasing all the storage places local unfortunately there all "managers" so they relay to the owner and I never hear back from them. We aren't allowed to fundraisers as a chapter it all has to be done 3rd party. Biggest thing we can use is volunteers for events as well as continue spreading the word to get our Heroes out.
We aren't set on the design it is just first out the gate, my moto is go big then go home?!? I think??? Something like that either way I'm tired just replaced a 2 week old hub assembly on TLW's car. Second rendition coming up.

Shannon

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
This still doesn't change the height it moves the bottom kayaks onto sail position and lifts the deck height for truck bed boxes these are 70X18X14 we could move the boats down to within an inch of the boxes requiring the bottom boats to be removed to open them.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:25:07 PM by Mojo Jojo »

Shannon

anything