Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 11:48:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:07:15 PM]

[Today at 05:42:39 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Islanders Conquer the Cortes Bank! - Unusual SoCal Photo Rpt  (Read 5828 times)

PAL

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Finally! A spell of good weather allowed the recent Islander 3.5-day mothership to steam out of San Diego Bay and make history as the first to kayak fish the wild Cortes Bank.

The Bank is an incredible place, a set of kelp beds and rocks 100 miles out in the middle of nowhere. You'd never have known it on Friday, when the seas were calm, the sun warm, and the bonito and yellowtail and bonito came to play (it was a bone zone- those things were thick!). I'll let the photos tell the rest of the story. I hope you enjoy this little taste of SoCal offshore kayak fishing action.

Day 1

Day 2 - Not quite as nice out there

Playing in the swells rolling across the infamous Bishop Rock big-wave break. This monster can reach 60 or 70 feet when its really pumping.

Twenty minutes later  :shock:

Day 3 - San Clemente Island

The payoff!

Editor, Kayak Fish Magazine

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Awesome lookin' trip PAL. Thanks for sharing! I've gotta get that trip in my schedule next year. Looks way too good. ;D How much did it end up costing per person? Maybe you could post some details for those of us thinking about making the grand journey next year.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

PAL

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Thanks Z. The 3.5 day trip ran about $700, tips inclusive. That's a heck of a deal for what amounts to a limited load charter with stateroom accommodations, 3 squares and two snacks a day. 22 total 'yaks on the boat with plenty of extra bunks. Drinks extra.

Next year we're looking to go long! That right, we're bumping it up to a 6 day and aiming at yellowtail heaven. That's Cedros and Benitos 300 miles south in Baja. 3 days of kayak fishing with boat-based paddy-hunting and tuna trolling in between, tentatively set for late summer. Details to follow. Stay tuned.

Editor, Kayak Fish Magazine

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Hell yeah!  That looks like an awesome trip!!! 
Thanks for sharing!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
Thanks Z. The 3.5 day trip ran about $700, tips inclusive. That's a heck of a deal for what amounts to a limited load charter with stateroom accommodations, 3 squares and two snacks a day. 22 total 'yaks on the boat with plenty of extra bunks. Drinks extra.

Next year we're looking to go long! That right, we're bumping it up to a 6 day and aiming at yellowtail heaven. That's Cedros and Benitos 300 miles south in Baja. 3 days of kayak fishing with boat-based paddy-hunting and tuna trolling in between, tentatively set for late summer. Details to follow. Stay tuned.

Wow great deal for sure! Gotta find my way on to that one next year.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

amb

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Excellent photos.  Looks like alot of fun - Alan

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I'd love to arrange something like that locally.  Any of you guys have any pointers to local charters that we might contact to see if there is any interest in doing a mothership trip?

-Allen

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Pole.. what species would you think be worth it.. Tuna, butts?  I have thought of this and almost did it with my boat before I sold it.  The problem with tuna is they are a stick and move fishery off the oregon coast.  The best bet would be the live bait/iron fishery in the late summer and early fall.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
The best bet would be the live bait/iron fishery in the late summer and early fall.

Deep water Lings and halis? Oh yeah. >:D

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I've thought a lot about how to target albies on a mothership/yak trip.  I used to albacore fish 8-10 times a year and I think it can be done.   Find me a charter boat with a live bait tank willing and able to take us out, and let's get it done.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Allen Bushnell was trying to set up a mothership trip down in Monterrey Bay.  What he found out is that most charters don't have the correct insurance rider set up to do this.  It turns out it is an additional rider to take kayak fishermen out.  Charters that are able to take spearfishermen out have the correct rider, but those are rare.  Anyone know any WA or OR charters that are set up to take out spearfishermen?  Those are probably our best chance as they already are spending the money for the correct insurance rider.

-Allen