Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:49:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: [SITE] Server move to fix AOTY  (Read 11345 times)

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
It looks like the new IP address is propagating across the world, but there's still a misconfig with the DNS domain for northwestkayakanglers.com in the DNS zones on the primary and secondary servers themselves. The NS servers are configured incorrectly.

You can use this site to do the queries: http://www.kloth.net/services/dig.php

If you query domain "northwestkayakanglers.com" with server "localhost" or any of the global DNS .com root servers and query "any" you get these results, in addition to getting the "A" host record with the 173.230.249.151 address:
  • SOA ns1-lg.kayakfishingfrontiers.com
  • NS ns2-lg.kayakfishingfrontiers.com
  • NS ns1-lg.kayakfishingfrontiers.com

Notice that the above data says that ns1-lg.kayakfishingfrontiers.com is the start of authority and ns1-lg and ns21-lg are the name servers. That means that if you query either of those server, you should see the same SOA and NS records. Unfortunately, you don't.

If you repeat the query above and ask the ns1-lg server directly by having domain"northwestkayakanglers.com" with server "ns1-lg.kayakfishingfrontiers.com" and query "any" to see what the ns1-lg server has for that DNS zone, you get this:
  • SOA ns1.kayakfishingfrontiers.com
  • NS ns2.kayakfishingfrontiers.com
  • NS ns1.kayakfishingfrontiers.com

Notice that they are changed. That means that the DNS servers that are supposed to be the DNS servers for that domain think that other servers are the DNS servers for that domain. If the ns1 and ns2 servers gave the same replies to DNS queries, it wouldn't have any negative results. The problem is that the servers at ns1.kayakfishingfrontiers.com (173.230.249.230) and ns2.kayakfishingfrontiers.com (173.230.249.231) are refusing DNS queries and therefore the queries fail. The SOA and NS entries in the zone files for the northwestkayakanglers.com domain on the ns1-lg.kayakfishingfrontiers.com (68.171.217.196) and ns2-lg.kayakfishingfrontiers.com (68.171.217.197) servers need to be corrected. Until then, some queries may work but results will be inconsistent.

I was going to say that exact same thing but JasonM beat me to it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:45:38 PM by Nobaddays »
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
I think I may have found an easier place to explain the issue with northwestkayakanglers.com here.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools#dnsReport|type=domain&&value=northwestkayakanglers.com

Here's the same site's analysis of norcalkayakanglers.com showing a version mismatch of the DNS zone files (and therefore likely different results depending on which DNS server a user query goes to):

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools#dnsReport|type=domain&&value=norcalkayakanglers.com

Note that the analysis is run again each time you load the page with the URLs I added above, so if you fix things and load the page again you can see if the fix replicated to the DNS servers and whether it worked to fix the issues.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:47:45 PM by JasonM »

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Sure Nobaddays, but how about those mariners lol..pretty deep discussion. I just appreciate all the effort.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I think I may have found an easier place to explain the issue with northwestkayakanglers.com here.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools#dnsReport|type=domain&&value=northwestkayakanglers.com

Here's the same site's analysis of norcalkayakanglers.com showing a version mismatch of the DNS zone files (and therefore likely different results depending on which DNS server a user query goes to):

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools#dnsReport|type=domain&&value=norcalkayakanglers.com

Note that the analysis is run again each time you load the page with the URLs I added above, so if you fix things and load the page again you can see if the fix replicated to the DNS servers and whether it worked to fix the issues.

But both site use the same NS's, however return different results above.  How is that?

-Allen

JasonM

• Lingcod
They use the same nameservers but they are still different DNS zones (domains) with different configurations (zone files) for each zone.

JasonM

• Lingcod
Allen, it's not the most important thing, of course, but emails from the new server don't seem to be getting sent since the move.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Allen, it's not the most important thing, of course, but emails from the new server don't seem to be getting sent since the move.

Thanks. On it.  The data center peeps assured me it wouldn't get turned off again.  Uggh.

-Allen

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Ok after trying to read the last 4 or so posts my head is pounding......All I can say is you guys are amazingly awesome, how much Tylenol and Jack Daniel’s does that take?  :o 

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

JasonM

• Lingcod
Ok after trying to read the last 4 or so posts my head is pounding......All I can say is you guys are amazingly awesome, how much Tylenol and Jack Daniel’s does that take?  :o
Haha... All we've talked about is DNS. It's just a tiny part of what Allen does for this forum.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Haha... All we've talked about is DNS. It's just a tiny part of what Allen does for this forum.
That’s an awful long paragraph that Nobaddays days quoted just to talk about 3 capital letters!

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
True , Shannon, but those 3 letters are at the heart of almost every site and web broswer used across the world.

Think of them as the card file part of the old Dewey Decimal system used in public libraries before they went digital.  If they are mis-filed , or improperly duplicated,  we end up with the problem Jason and Allen are talking about. 

That's about the best this ex wrench turner turned C4ISR Tech can explain it.  They might say something else.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Sorry for the unexpected downtime this weekend.  The data center peeps were tweaking the DNS and Nameserver settings to address some lingering instabilities.  You know, some of the stuff JasonM brought up in his informative posts.   ;)   But they actually did something wrong which brought everything down.  :'(

-Allen

hamachijohn

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Sorry for the unexpected downtime this weekend.  The data center peeps were tweaking the DNS and Nameserver settings to address some lingering instabilities.  You know, some of the stuff JasonM brought up in his informative posts.   ;)   But they actually did something wrong which brought everything down.  :'(

-Allen

Thanks for giving us a forum to hang out at! I'll continue hanging out here while NCKA is being improved further.  ;-)
Hamachi

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

-Allen

Thanks for giving us a forum to hang out at! I'll continue hanging out here while NCKA is being improved further.  ;-)

Looks like we're all back up now, including NCKA.

-Allen

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Is the AOTY site fixed now?  I still cant upload pictures.  I dont get an error that says anything about why it wont upload.  This is all I get.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard