Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 07:01:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 05:42:39 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Oahu  (Read 3352 times)

ocpdlr

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
Aloha gang,

Longtime fisherman, however newb to the kayak-fishing.  Great forum!

Went back home to attend a brother's wedding.  Hooked up, literally, w/a real good friend of mine, Ike from Aquahunters.  Six strikes, 3 landed.  Thought I'd share these w/you all. 

Buggah really reignited the bug to go fish.   

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
oh dude, gorgeous fish bruddah
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

ocpdlr

• Krill
Mahalo brah!  That uku sash'd out real well.  What a great way to catch fish.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Nice uku and kaku.  And fishing in only shorts at that.  Hope you're geared up for our NW weather!!!

-Allen

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Wow! Now that's a great day of fishing! I'd be smiling too

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Nice fish OC. Yeah man, paddling in shorts... can't say I remember doing that this year.. :laughing6: Sure the sashimi was unreal. Good on ya! Ready to fish the NW now?

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Beautiful fish! :o Makes me green with envy. :tongue6:

This time of the year, I have to peel off at least two layers to see my shorts. >:(

ocpdlr

• Krill
Glad to share!  Not sure I'm ready to brave the PNW, but definitely want to give it a shot - I welcome any help/tips. 

Planning on heading out to Pacific City this Wed-Sun in fact.  Wife and kids are out of town so "Yippee!"  Oops, I mean, "gee honey, I sure am gonna miss you and the kids this week...". 

I've surfed, raced/paddled outrigger canoes out there out and around the Haystack Rock and even had a whale encounter between the rock and just outside the lands-end shoulder (swam under my OC-1) a few late summers ago.  Always thought the placed looked fishy as hell, but never fished it.  From reading the forum, it sounds like it is indeed.

Here's the tentative game plan:  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Depending on the weather, I'm thinking steamer, booties, neoprene gloves?  Light heavy tackle, 30# mono leader to mooching rig, 4/0, 5/0 Gamakatsu circle hooks? Herring? How hard is it to make bait out there? 

Staying at the camping cabins at the RV park and a couple outrigger friends might join me over the weekend.  If nothing else, I'll at least catch a cold one at the brewery.  Any company is welcome!

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Glad to share!  Not sure I'm ready to brave the PNW, but definitely want to give it a shot - I welcome any help/tips. 

Planning on heading out to Pacific City this Wed-Sun in fact.  Wife and kids are out of town so "Yippee!"  Oops, I mean, "gee honey, I sure am gonna miss you and the kids this week...". 

I've surfed, raced/paddled outrigger canoes out there out and around the Haystack Rock and even had a whale encounter between the rock and just outside the lands-end shoulder (swam under my OC-1) a few late summers ago.  Always thought the placed looked fishy as hell, but never fished it.  From reading the forum, it sounds like it is indeed.

Here's the tentative game plan:  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Depending on the weather, I'm thinking steamer, booties, neoprene gloves?  Light heavy tackle, 30# mono leader to mooching rig, 4/0, 5/0 Gamakatsu circle hooks? Herring? How hard is it to make bait out there? 

Staying at the camping cabins at the RV park and a couple outrigger friends might join me over the weekend.  If nothing else, I'll at least catch a cold one at the brewery.  Any company is welcome!
I plan on heading out to Coos Bay prolly 11/28-12/2. May start at Sunset, but Im flexable. I'd like to check out the south side of Yaquina Head (Newport), especially if the wind & swell is out of the north. How's Kiwanda been lately? Wouldn't want to drive that far to get pounded. Gotta go to the CCA meeting now. I'll check back later. pm if you want to tie-in.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006

Good on ya for getting out on this side of the big blue. It will be cold so go w/ at least a 3-5 mil wetsuit and maybe a splash jacket over that to protect from the wind. If you don't have one a windbreaker may work if you can keep it dry on the launch. When it comes to tackle I wouldn't really go over 20# line. Some people go to 25# but I really don't see the need to go so strong. Instead of the mooching rig I'd suggest using some plastics with a jighead or some irons. Rockies love 'em and they're easy to use. You can tip the hooks w/ some bait if it's slow but before I do that I like to put a teaser about foot above the iron/jig. A dropper loop to a shrimp fly usually is the ticket.

As far as places to fish try near the buoy or near the kelp off the haystack. And most importantly.. don't forget the camera for the report! ;)

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy