Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:21:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Pimp my Pram  (Read 16826 times)

SBD

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
I just started rehabbing an old pram I scored.  You can see pics and smart-a$$ captions here...

http://picasaweb.google.com/GreatWhiteKayakComapny/PimpMyPram#slideshow/5277446486927207698
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:15:45 AM by SBD »

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I want one!

Can't wait to see the final results Sean.  I expect no less than quality work from you.   ;)

-Allen

SBD

• Perch
I want one!

Me too!  Finding the right one around here is not ez!!! I've been craving one since Juan showed up in his back in '04 and took me to school with his 10wt...

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:47:51 AM by SBD »

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
I don't see a lot of prams up in the NW, but they tend to get their use on the rivers in NorCal.  Any reason you didn't go full drift boat?  What's a good price on a used pram anyway?

And who's schooling who in that pic.  Looks to me like you're holding the fish and Juan is still swinging.   ;)

-Allen

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
I don't see a lot of prams up in the NW

I think they're most common with fly guys,on flat water. I see them on lakes, over here, but not the river. I've been thinking about building a woodie. I like the looks of this one- http://www.onewest.net/~gages/available.html
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 08:12:10 AM by Pisco Sicko »

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I don't see a lot of prams up in the NW

I think they're most common with fly guys,on flat water. I see them on lakes, over here, but not the river. I've been thinking about building a woodie. I like the looks of this one- http://www.onewest.net/~gages/available.html

There's also a guy who for blacks and lings out of Seaside on one.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

SBD

• Perch
There are a lot of different styles, That woody is beautiful.  My Koffler can do decent white water with a skilled oarsman...which I am not!

I don't see a lot of prams up in the NW, but they tend to get their use on the rivers in NorCal.  Any reason you didn't go full drift boat?  What's a good price on a used pram anyway?

A new Koffler 10' is between $1400 and $2000.  Mine would be at the higher end.  I bought it for $800.  Very few MFGs still make them, but there is a guy in Crescent City that has new 8's for $720, and 10s for $920.  They are crude, but light and work well.  The 10 has fixed seats so it was out for me, I wanted to use it solo and with Paige.  The moveable/removable seats and multiple oarlocks  are key for retaining trim depending on load.

I wanted a pram for a few reasons:

1) My buddy Josh already has a gorgeous 17 foot FishCraft for his guiding service.  I can generally mooch a free ride.  This will diversify our collective fleet.

2) I have NO IDEA how to row one...well I have an idea having spent many days in a drift boat riding beotch, but ZERO experience on the "sticks"!  I thought it would be better and less stressful to learn in a small used boat.

3) The Russian near my house is way too small for a full size drift boat.  The same can be said for my favorite coastal streams.

4) Prams are unusual.  I am weird. Seems like a good match.  ;D

And who's schooling who in that pic.  Looks to me like you're holding the fish and Juan is still swinging.

Lets just say its a good thing its a pic and not a video.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Nice one SBD. Really looking forward to the metamorphosis and especially when this pram comes out of the cocoon. Love the old school graphics.  :love10:

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

SBD

• Perch
Ditto...the decal is super cool. 

I took out the floor last night, as this thing still feels suspiciously heavy.  I thought there might be more dirt etc. trapped under the floor.  Nope, but the plywood floor is SUPER water logged and weighs a ton.

The question (and I want your opinions):

1) Koffler said 'f the wood, we use diamond plate in all of our new rigs.  This looks cool and is lighter than ply believe it our not.  It is also low-maintenance and grippy but in not very OS looking. Also not cheap.

2) Glass a mahogany door skin.  Pretty, super OS looking and VERY light.  Also cheap, about $9.00 for the wood.  I already have glass and epoxy laying around. NOT low-maintenance.  I think it would also look cool with my new wooden Sawyer oars.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 11:29:27 AM by SBD »

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Sean,

I've never known you to back down from a little maintenance and keeping it old school seems important to you.  I say go with option #2.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I agree w/ B. You're not a diamond plate kinda guy..  ;)

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

SBD

• Perch

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Looking forward to seeing pics of the final product with a fish or two on deck.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

SBD

• Perch
I will have some time to get some work done this coming weekend.  Hopefully if it rains this weekend, I can get it wet next weekend!

kykfshr

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
For those interested, Craigslist had an 8 foot koffler pram for sale a couple days back for $850. Someone please buy it.  The temptation is getting to much for me to bear. I know that if I go look at its coming home with me.

Scott