Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:46:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

[Today at 12:21:09 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: What would you choose...A WS Tarpon 140 or a Malibu X-13?  (Read 3889 times)

kaz

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
I've been scanning the classifieds for these 2 yaks (T 140,  Malibu X-13) ,  but so far,  the sellers are all too distant.  I've chosen these two yaks for:  reasonable sea-worthiness and speed (13'-14' yaks) ,  light weight (68-57 lbs.), economy,  and established reputation. 

My only experience kayaking is with a homemade Cape Falcon F1 (using a Greenlander paddle) so I'm woefully  inexperienced.  Any recommendations would be helpful.  I've searched thru and read the comments at NWKA. 

Any suggestions would be welcome. 
Cape Falcon F1 (homemade, skin boat)
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I have a WS Tarpon 100 out in the garage and it weighs more than 68 pounds rigged (with the seat and hatch covers installed).  Can't imagine how a kayak 4 feet longer could weigh less.  Just saying.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

jp52

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
I have a couple of older T140s they paddle great, can carry lots of gear (I can easily  load them up with three Danielson crab pots (one collapsed) and a crab ring each.) Easy to get on the top of the car. I really notice how light they are when I help other people carry their Hobies etc.

For comparison, I have a Perception Pescador 13' tandem. That is more like the wider fishing kayaks. When I paddle that solo it is like a barge. Way slower then my T140.

I have never paddled an X-13.

kaz

• Perch
I have a WS Tarpon 100 out in the garage and it weighs more than 68 pounds rigged (with the seat and hatch covers installed).  Can't imagine how a kayak 4 feet longer could weigh less.  Just saying.

Well Tinker, you are making a good point.  On the web page of WS they list the weight of the T 140 as 68 lbs.,   but retailers have listed varying weights (as high as 75 lbs.).  WS may be minimizing their specs by giving a bare-hull weight or it might be deception.  Some retailers or reviews note that the manufacturers "claim" a particular weight. 
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

kaz

• Perch
I have a couple of older T140s they paddle great, can carry lots of gear (I can easily  load them up with three Danielson crab pots (one collapsed) and a crab ring each.) Easy to get on the top of the car. I really notice how light they are when I help other people carry their Hobies etc.

For comparison, I have a Perception Pescador 13' tandem. That is more like the wider fishing kayaks. When I paddle that solo it is like a barge. Way slower then my T140.

I have never paddled an X-13.

Hey jp52,  thanks for your description/comparison of your T 140s.   It seems that kayak companies are replacing their slimmer kayaks in favor of beamier more stable hulls.  They are probably responding to a consumer that wants a stand-up  fishing platform.  Some of the 14' paddle yaks have beams of 33"  or more.  They gain stability,  but increase the hull weight and sacrifice speed.  When I was reading reviews of the T 140,  some folks remarked that the yak was tippy. 

I know that every yak design is compromise,  but I would favor performance and light weight over rock-solid stability. 

It seems that the X-13 has been discontinued,  but it's available from West Marine.  The X-13 rides low in the water with a hull height of less than 12" (hull height for T 140-14.5").  Both yaks can be had new for about $1000.  I'm still  hoping that I can find a used yak.
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I was in next adventure a week or two ago and looking at Tarpons to replace my ATAK potentially (since its a SUCH a beats at 93 lbs).  Maybe its just the comparison to the ATAK but the T140 and 120 were very easy to move around and pick up.  The external handles makes a big difference.    I am completely average as far as strength goes for a 31 year old and I had no problem lifting a T140 over my head to put on my car. 

kaz

• Perch
Thanks for the comparison, Shin09.   I've also read about the ATAK, and   they have an excellent reputation.  I'm happy to hear that you can manhandle the T 140.  For years I've trailered a 17' outboard to Neah Bay,  and I've had truck, trailer, and boat/engine nightmares.  On my last trip to NB (at 1:30 AM),  I found myself with a blown-out truck tire,  in a nasty wet ditch (3+ hours to put on a nearly flat spare).  So you might understand that ease of handling is important to me. 

It seems like the length, weight and slim hull of the T 140  might make it easier to handle.  The T 140 also has a sit-in style seat.  The low center-of-gravity should enhance the overall performance. 
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
They're fatter because the kayak bass fishing market is opening up, and those folks have different ideas about how to use a kayak and what they're willing to do to set one up for fishing.  And what they're willing to pay.

Some manufacturers list the weight of an unrigged hull - Hobie and Wilderness Systems definitely do that.

I like/liked the Tarpon 100 but I liked the Trident ModPod when I bought a longer kayak.

Go test kayaks.  What we think isn't worth the paper it's written on.  :banjo:

• Date Registered: Oct 2009
Actually, Hobie does list both the fitted hull weight and fully rigged hull weight for all of the Mirage kayak line.......example https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-outback/

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Good to hear, Doc.  They weren't dong that in 2014 when I bought my Revo, but back then, the only added weight on a fully rigged hull was the weight of the Mirage drive and I don't know about anyone else, but I never had the drive in place when lifting it onto the racks.   ;D

kaz

• Perch
They're fatter because the kayak bass fishing market is opening up, and those folks have different ideas about how to use a kayak and what they're willing to do to set one up for fishing.  And what they're willing to pay.

Some manufacturers list the weight of an unrigged hull - Hobie and Wilderness Systems definitely do that.

I like/liked the Tarpon 100 but I liked the Trident ModPod when I bought a longer kayak.

Go test kayaks.  What we think isn't worth the paper it's written on.  :banjo:

I'd love to test the yaks,  but I don't think any local shops sell the Mailbu line of yaks.  However,  I called my local REI and they might be able to let me test a T 140.  The ModPods on the Trident look like an excellent feature. 
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
No experience with the Malibu X-13, but I paddle the Tarpon 140 pretty frequently.

There are a couple of design considerations that I feel like WS could improve on but the most important parts (hull shape, seat) are great. It's fast and I really like it on the ocean; I feel most comfortable in the ocean on it compared to my other boats. (I mean I'm not uncomfortable on my other boats, I just really like the way the Tarpon 140 cuts through waves and how it handles in rough conditions.) I also like it for stillwater bass fishing in all but the smallest waters (and even then you can manage). If you're going to do a bunch of trolling you'll want a rudder.

kaz

• Perch
Thanks for the review Captain.  My only experience paddling yaks are with my homemade skin-on-frame yak (23" beam),  and a few borrowed yaks.  Therefore,  it's impossible for me to compare/contrast yaks with any kind of  objectivity.  Your review of the T 140 is consistent with most of the reviews that I've read online, and I've read dozens of reviews.  It seems like WS has designed a hull with reasonable sea-keeping ability. 

I have experience fishing with a 17'  outboard around Neah Bay (I'm always a wee bit nervous in those waters),  but there are many near-shore areas that can be accessed  with a seaworthy yak.  T 140 owners must love their yaks.  I've been all over the web,  and very few are available for sale.  Thanks again,  kaz. 
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14