Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:36:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by PNW
[Today at 07:59:18 PM]

[Today at 07:54:10 PM]

[Today at 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 07:22:33 PM]

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: The Really Big One (the upcoming Cascadia Fault earthquake)  (Read 3147 times)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
If you haven't read the article on the predicted Cascadia Fault earthquake in the July 20, 2015, New Yorker magazine, read it now.  https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one?fbclid=IwAR1pGAuJxY_y64kVsv4dVxYVDiNsRNNI0as-ZAwUVepsQ22GC7Ac0D3e1iY.  If you have read that article, read it again. The bottom line is that the Cascadia Subduction fault will eventually cause a really really big earthquake and tsunami in the area near the coast in the Pacific Northwest, probably sooner rather than later, and if you live in that area and survive the earthquake and tsunami, everything will suck for a considerable period of time thereafter.  My takeaway from the article: If you live in the area near the coast in the Pacific Northwest, move away from that area.  You could stay in the area covered by the Northwest Kayak Angler's Forum, but move away from the coast region.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Been reading old magazines in the out house again, Pete?

I'd think you're more in danger there with the possible mega eruption of Yellowstone than we are with a mega quake...either way, the western US is definitely over due  for a major natural disaster if we're to believe the doomsayers.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 06:40:09 PM by [WR] »
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Don’t live in the tsunami zone. Prepare for being without meaningful outside aid for a month or more. Food, water, medicine, and enough guns and ammunition to protect it. Know your neighbors and any pertinent skills they may have, especially medical. Join the local CERT.

Never leaving the coast though.

Google “Carrington Event” if you want something more fun to worry about, doesn’t matter where you live really and just as likely as a CSZ event.

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
If you live in Portland, you know.  I'm willing to bet it's the same with Seattle and most places throughout the I-5 corridor.  If you live on the OR or WA coast, the idea is even more inescapable.  The sirens are tested on a regular basis.  There are constant fights going on in local communities all over the potential damage zones pertaining to construction that was built without a seismic care.  Personally, I'd give lots of my own money, on top of taxes, to get projects like early warning systems moving along or seismic retrofits for schools and bridges. 

My house has a closet stocked with emergency food.  I have lots of jugs of treated water out in my shed and water purifier systems for the creek near our house.  The frame of my house is bolted to the foundation and I have a seismic shut-off for my gas line.  Each vehicle has an emergency kit in case were not at home when it hits.  We have plans for what to do when it hits, depending on where we are.  We know where the nearest Red Cross check-in site is. I know which bridges will make it, and which ones won't so when I have to make the trek home from work I know which path to take. 

When I go out to the coast to fish, I know where the nearest high-ground is.  And if I'm out on the ocean, I'm prepared to pedal West as fast as I can and know that if I make it, I may have to spend the night out on my kayak because the debris field along the coast may be too dangerous to navigate.

I know my neighbors. I know which ones I'll need to check on and which ones I'll steer clear of.  All this, and I don't feel like the real "preppers" of the area. 

I love this place - I'm not leaving.  We know.  It's kinda like what happens when you tell the entire city of New Orleans that they need to move because their city is literally sinking into the Gulf.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Doesn't matter what it is. Just do your best to be prepared.  If it's not a tsunami it's a quake, fire, eruption, tornado or hurricane. No matter where you live it's the same thing. The only reason why we( steph, Cassidy and I) along with the horses, dogs and a cat didnt die this last summer in the substation fire was we were prepared. Though we lost some barns and other out buildings there house and my kayak shed survived because we prepped. We deal with fires all the time here in eastern oregon. We help fight them all summer long.wheat field and rangeland fires arnt scary.  It's when those fires are deliberately set by a arsonist and 40-50mph winds. Nothing will put the fear of god in you faster than flames 30 or 40ft high in waist high wheat moving upwards of 30mph over ground.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I read that article when it first came out, but my brother-in-law sent it to me again today.  He's a geologist who lives in Eagle River, Alaska, which is a suburb of Anchorage.  They just experienced a big quake a couple of months ago, followed by a lot of aftershocks, so he may be thinking about earthquake issues a lot.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I'm practicing my eating vegan skills so if all the meat with legs die in the disaster, its Birch bark and moss sammiches.  ;D

If the area isn't completely destroyed there is always UberEats to deliver my food and water to me.  :banjo:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

surf12foot

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I'm just going to have Amazon deliver Hello-Fresh by drone to my home :occasion14:
Scott

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
I read that article when it first came out, but my brother-in-law sent it to me again today.  He's a geologist who lives in Eagle River, Alaska, which is a suburb of Anchorage.  They just experienced a big quake a couple of months ago, followed by a lot of aftershocks, so he may be thinking about earthquake issues a lot.
K and I have a friend who grew up in Naknek and is the step daughter of Windy Windell the former Bush pilot. He's in an old folks home there in that part of Anchorage  and she kept tight tabs on his old butt during the aftershocks and such.Funny he kept telling her it wasn't as bad as the big one that hit Anchorage in the early 60's so not to worry.

Trying to do what rawkfish wrote about. If you have depression era parents or grand parents, pay attention to how the set up their pantries and learn how to can/ jar and preserve.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Hooper

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2010
I prepare for the worst but hope for the best. Shit happens. There's nowhere I'd rather be than where I'm at. The State of the Jefferson has all I need.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I prepare for the worst but hope for the best. Shit happens. There's nowhere I'd rather be than where I'm at. The State of the Jefferson has all I need.
I hope you ain’t referring to your governing body  >:D!

I’m the guy who carries enough supply’s on a one day hunting trip for 2 to allow 2-3 people to survive for 7 days  :banjo:

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I hope you ain’t referring to your governing body  >:D!

I’m the guy who carries enough supply’s on a one day hunting trip for 2 to allow 2-3 people to survive for 7 days  :banjo:

“The State of Jefferson” is itself a loaded reference to the governing bodies in Sacramento and Salem.