Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:57:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Chop and small swells from behind  (Read 2767 times)

DBam

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Hey folks, looking for some safety input. I finally got out kayak fishing proper last year, and want to continue this year. The pinnacle of my kayaking was a week off the west coast of Vancouver Island, camping and fishing remote areas alone. The one thing that did make me sweat and feel a little uncomfortable was heading east anytime in the afternoon, with the wind driving up that +2' chop plus the swells that varied in size depending on the tides. I found that in my fully loaded Revo 13, the water would come rolling up the rear of the boat, behind me, and pull (or drag down) on one side of the boat. As that wave rolled forward under my seat, it would suddenly pull on the opposite side of the boat. This is despite my best efforts to stay  perpendicular to the waves. Felt like I was jockeying each wave as it rolled under me, and that if I didn't pay attention, any one of them could've sent me flipping. In comparison the 8-10' swells felt easy; nothing compared to the 2-3' ones pulling down from side to side.

Is this something everyone deals with? Definitely want to mitigate the risk of flipping, especially if I was fighting a fish or hung up on bottom and wasn't as attentive.

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
idk but if u ever want a camping fishing bud on another excursion up that way let me know!!   how was the fishing and when did u go?

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Is this something everyone deals with? Definitely want to mitigate the risk of flipping, especially if I was fighting a fish or hung up on bottom and wasn't as attentive.

Are you sure you weren't experiencing different wave sets coming from different directions, with combining peaks hitting you?   I've paddled up in Barkley Sound and found those conditions.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
The good news is that the secondary stability in a revo 13 is really good!  I’ve been out on large following seas and not had much problem. Those small wind waves are a different matter. The best thing I’ve found is to tack and get up on them. Try to catch one even. It will add miles to your day but it beats short period slip breaking over the stern. I avoid those days if I can. Got stuck in a surprise 4x4 square sea blowing 35 once and the revo handled it like a champ even if I thought I was in over my head.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
^^ This.  Revo's have surprising secondary stability.  Trust the boat and never let your attention wander.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I forgot to add something really important. Do not pedal in those conditions. Pin the fins against the hull and get out your paddle.  That is why you are getting thrown like that.

DBam

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Wow, thanks for the advice. Even getting perpendicular and trying to catch them even like you said, I would still do a wiggle and that must have been the fins experiencing sudden, alternating increases in drag.

About the fishing, I actually tore my Craigslist drysuit on my way out. So I camped on the beach, got real tanned, and then went right back in to where I launched in a hurried day of travel so as to not stay out longer than I needed with a broken suit. It was nearly 100km/60mile round trip but I had plans to fish an offshore reef and camp on a secluded beach. Didn't really end up fishing. Saw PBers on the inside and they were doing so-so, but I don't think the bite was on while I was around. Maybe I'll try again this year, we'll see. Gotta get a new suit first. Maybe also a Revo 16   :laugh: