Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:41:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 07:40:17 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: 2019 Outback reviews?  (Read 2862 times)

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Looking to possibly purchase another yak soon. Wondering if anyone has a good, solid review on the 19 Outback. I have two Propel 13s and like them very much, but the 19 Outback has some excellent built-in features that may have me crossing over.
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
I've posted several 2019 Outback videos on Youtube, here are a few links:

Self recovery: 

Lingcod/crabbing: 

Hobie forum review after Lingcod/crabbing:  https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=64042

and just for fun:  Canine recovery: 

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
Thanks rodgerdodger, I always enjoy your posts and trust your wisdom. Although I can't believe I'm considering switching brands. Always been brand loyal on most products.

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I like Native too, but really like my '18 Outback.  IMHO the Native (still) has an advantage with reverse, which contrary to what most Hobie owners will tell you, can be a big deal when fishing or crabbing. Hobie has the advantage of being quicker, tighter turning, and much much easier to pedal.  Hobie also added mount tracks and other engineering mods to make the '19 a better boat. 

Btw, if you're looking to test a Hobie go check out WCS Paddlesports in N. Portland.  They've got an outdoor pool, and Seth or Michole are avid kayak fishermen. 

-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
"Btw, if you're looking to test a Hobie go check out WCS Paddlesports in N. Portland.  They've got an outdoor pool, and Seth or Michole are avid kayak fishermen."

D'oh!  Just realized you're in Alaska....that'll be a long commute to WCS!   
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Thanks rodgerdodger, I always enjoy your posts and trust your wisdom. Although I can't believe I'm considering switching brands. Always been brand loyal on most products.

I started with a 2012 PA12 and got hooked quickly on Hobies because I found that I was always moving my legs, pedaling the drive, easy or hard, my feet just moved back and forth.   I can be totally focused on something fishing or conditions/hazard related and change how hard I am pedaling without even thinking, it just happens. 

Same with the rudder control, my free hand just drops to it without looking.  In fact, after several years of running my Oasis solo, my hand was so programmed to drop right on the steering control that I noticed a change going to the Outback-  he first few outings on the new Outback, with sides that are several inches lower to the water (something I love), my hand would drop down and still be hovering a few inches above the rudder control.  Then after a few outings, my hands were again dropping right on the rudder controller, and they are on both sides of the new Outback!  (after giving up the PA12, I really missed was having rudder control on both sides, also the rectangular hatch in front of the seat. so glad to have both those things back).

setting aside trolling, I find that when fishing, I am literally always applying a certain level forward or reverse push, even bottom fishing and letting tide current push me along a reef or jetty, I almost always want to be moving a bit faster or slower than a natural drift, might be due to wind, waves, or even the weight of my rigging.  I just don't see how a paddle fits into the mix.

I do have a comment on the current version of the MD180 drive- it is tough.  Last month, for only the second time in 6 years, I jammed my drive on a hard jagged bottom in CoosBay and bent the masts slightly.  I was almost back to my launch point, feathering the drive, putting away gear, handing out pupperoni treats, and just lost my focus.  I jammed it good, had to hop out of the kayak so it would float up a bit and I could move the fins up against the hull. 

Notice the front lower corner of each fin, they took a beating but they did not tear, fins are just fine.  As with my incident 3 years ago, I was able to gently bend the masts back to straight using a vise, bit of duct tape to protect the threads, and a piece of SS tubing so I could apply the bending force to the correct location of the mast.  But the fins, which are expensive, didn't tear!

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
"Btw, if you're looking to test a Hobie go check out WCS Paddlesports in N. Portland.  They've got an outdoor pool, and Seth or Michole are avid kayak fishermen."

D'oh!  Just realized you're in Alaska....that'll be a long commute to WCS!   

LOL, just one of the disadvantages to living up here. Luckily, Hobie has a big following in the AK, hopefully I can hook up with someone for a test run. Or, just wait for Native to update the Slayer.

anything