Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:02:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Depoe Bay report 1-Jun-2019  (Read 4611 times)

Saltydog0

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2012
I haven’t had the chance to put bottom fish in the kayak in quite a while and have been itching to get out.  Looking at the forecast all week, I finally made the call to hit Depoe this morning.  I would have to go early to ensure I had my limits before the wind kicked up. 

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 02:59:30 PM by deptrai »

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Glad to hear you're okay. Table Rock is a damn spooky spot to be anytime except the flattest of days. +1 on checking the nuts on the Mirage Drive before every trip!

What forecasts were you looking at for today? Everything I've read said this weekend's seas were going to suck. According to the NOAA buoys, the wind's been blowing non-stop less than ten miles out.
aMayesing Bros.

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
geez glad to hear all is ok.  thanks for report.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 05:24:57 PM by dampainter »

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Glad it worked out for you in the end.  I will be sure to check my nylock nuts now.

+1 on needing rope.  I carry throw rope in the hull and I have a bow line clipped to my front pad eye and it gets stuffed under the bungie for the front hatch.  That way someone can just come up next to me and pull it and it will unfurl from under the bungie and they can pull me if needed or catch my boat if its floating away.  I can't remember but I think it was Mojo that showed me that trick.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
That sounds pretty scary!  Glad you're OK.
I have a rope with me always, and on the ocean, I also carry a rescue rope to throw.
A bad situation can get worse if it becomes two boats in a precarious place!  If I'm the one in a bad spot, hopefully, I can throw to a rescuer.  If someone else is a bad spot, I don't have to get in that same bad spot just to help them out.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 06:16:20 PM by bb2fish »

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
i`ve always had pretty good luck with lincoln city being the spot on magic seaweed

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
What forecasts were you looking at for today? Everything I've read said this weekend's seas were going to suck. According to the NOAA buoys, the wind's been blowing non-stop less than ten miles out.
I was looking at Magic Seaweed for Otter Rock.  Was supposed to be 3' @ 11 seconds with wind not reaching 10 mph until 9AM.  Swell was accurate, but wind wasn't.
IMO, Magic Seaweed is the most "optimistic" of the forecast sites. I like cross-checking MSW with both Stormsurf (Cape Foulweather for Depoe Bay) and NOAA forecasts. Both Stormsurf and NOAA were calling for wind this morning. NOAA was calling it a Small Craft Advisory.

If you cross-check what MSW says on a given day with what the NOAA buoys are saying in real time, you'll notice how MSW often paints a much rosier picture compared to reality.
aMayesing Bros.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Glad it worked out for you in the end.  I will be sure to check my nylock nuts now.

+1 on needing rope.  I carry throw rope in the hull and I have a bow line clipped to my front pad eye and it gets stuffed under the bungie for the front hatch.  That way someone can just come up next to me and pull it and it will unfurl from under the bungie and they can pull me if needed or catch my boat if its floating away.  I can't remember but I think it was Mojo that showed me that trick.
Guilty as charged I use an actual honest to god power boat dock line with a giant carabiner in the pull off my yak end, anyone can grab that clip and either hold or clip off, saved my ass when Hdwipmonkey and cjweinehe had to pull me off the bend of the south walk at Tillamook Bay when I had a patch is seaweed run into my propel drive, even partially peddling and paddling HARD I wasn’t making headway on an outbound tide.

Pass the clip into the open end of the line after running it under the handle. Always carry a bow line it could save your yakbilly arse!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 01:09:01 PM by Mojo Jojo »

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Check the USCG Bar Observations for real time data (https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/pqr/marine/BarObs.php).

Right now, the USCG anemometer is reading 15-20kts at Depoe Bay.  MSW is saying 7-10 MPH.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 02:42:43 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
Also have a backup plan, that way your not pressuring yourself to launch if it don’t feel right.

Shannon

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Dave-

thank you so much for the detailed post on what happened with your drive.  I try to check my 'mission critical' stuff before each outing and after reading your post, I decided that every time I connect my drive to the leash, just before launching, I will always make one last check of the nylock nuts and cable tension.

By coincidence, at home before my May 29 CoosBay trip, I had checked the drive cables and tightened a few of the nuts just a bit, so I know for sure that each one had probably 1/4" of threads extending out and the cables were appropriately tensioned.

Today, as I was hitting the drive with some lubricating spray, I took a quick look, and well, this is what I saw:

there are no threads left in the nylock part of that left nut, after just a 6 hour outing on CoosBay, fishing and crabbing in tide water, coming back into the tide and into the wind...bottom line, that nut is close to falling off.  not good. (the other 5 nuts appear to have not turned at all).

This is the MD180 drive that came with my Outback last October, I've got a PM into one of the Hobie techs to try and find out if (insert Beavis and Butthead chuckles here) they got a whole batch of bad nuts.  or perhaps this is a case of a random bad nut here and there.

I'm thinking of replacing all 6 nuts with new stainless nylocks, and adding some Loctite to them (after checking on how it holds up in saltwater).

So thanks again for the detailed post, I will advise what I hear back from Hobie.  cheers, roger

« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 10:21:46 AM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
Dave, another idea might be a cheap wrench and 6 or so of those nuts in your tackle box, not sure but it looks like you could have fixed it otw if you had another but and wrench?

Shannon

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
I heard back from Hobie and it makes sense with regard to my experience-  the threaded ends of the cables are not round but rather are flat on two sides.  this can result in a sharp edge such that a thread can cut the nylock when it is tightened.  Thus, a nut can stay put for many many outings, then you give it a bit of at tighten, the nylock cuts and stops working, and the nut can quickly loosen up and potentially fall off.

I had about 20 outings on my drive, no issues, then I tighened the nuts before May 29, and suddenly one nut loosens up during that one trip. 

I'm looking at adding some 'blue' 243 medium strength Loctite to my threads and perhaps a second nylock nut to each cable end.  Another option I guess is drilling a hole through between the flat sides and adding a small cotter pin, even if the nut loosened up a bit, no way for it to fall off.

cheers, roger
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 10:22:18 AM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
I too had a nylock nut fall off a Mirage drive. It was on a Buoy 10 trip, but fortunately I was only about 100 yards from the takeout, and a Revo is not too bad to have to paddle.

Loctite 243 is an excellent solution. Here at work, we recently had problems with loose fasteners, and now require threadlocker compound on virtually all our fasteners. Research has shown that nylock nuts are not reliable in many situations - threadlocking compounds are much better.
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
First off, I would not recommend using Loc-tite on those cable ends.  You may not have enough grip on the cable side later remove the Nyloc nut for servicing the drive. You could accidentally round out the plastic slot in the Mirage drive that the cable passes through.   Instead, I would suggest cleaning the threads really well of any oils and just use some Goop as a thread locker.  It is springy yet holds really well, with the option to remove it later without much issue. 

Second, I carry a 3mm Allen wrench and an 11mm open end wrench (7/16" works too) wrapped in a blue shop rag dowsed in Corrosion-X, all safely stored in a small Ziplock bag in my 1st aid kit on board with me.  A few spare nuts in there as well.  Have had to bust out the mini tool kit several times to tweak someone else's mirage drive cables a time or two (on and off the water).

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15