Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:03:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:40:17 PM]

[Today at 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: 2020 PA12/14 360 + Kick-up fins  (Read 4155 times)

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
very interesting, amazing engineering.  requires a new steering system for the drive, maybe they also add this to the Revo when it is redesigned (2021 Revo 360?) but hard to see them modifying many other boats for these drives. 

The "Kick-up Fins" are perhaps something they could add to normal MD180 drives, that would be excellent.

per Hobie:  MSRP is $4649 for the PA12 and $4799 for the PA14

https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-pro-angler-14-360/?fbclid=IwAR0KdUNGzDuFpeKAhaL893xJmz2VGsfPKRNpainh4v6Nf_d3fnj1SutcL4Y

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 07:14:28 AM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Huh. Looks like they took those external chains and made it into internal shafts and gearing. Maybe you Hobie guys won’t have so many problems losing your nuts now!

>:D
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Huh. Looks like they took those external chains and made it into internal shafts and gearing. Maybe you Hobie guys won’t have so many problems losing your nuts now!

>:D

looks like the new drives still have some nuts!  I'm wondering how soon they announce the 'MD180 Kick-Up fins' version, more important to many of us, the Kick-up fins look like something they could offer as an upgrade to existing 180 drives, please Hobie, please.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 06:59:09 AM by rogerdodger »

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Wow $6500 MSRP. ... or you can learn a sculling draw stroke with your paddle.   I’ve been going sideways with my kayak for years.   ;)
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Wow $6500 MSRP. ... or you can learn a sculling draw stroke with your paddle.   I’ve been going sideways with my kayak for years.   ;)

Hobie pricing:  MSRP is $4649 for the PA12 and $4799 for the PA14

Pro Anglers aren't the right boat for me (I would need a second Labrador to take along) but I would love those Kick-Up fins on my 180 drive.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 08:14:50 AM by rogerdodger »

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

While fighting a fish?  >:D

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon

I have...braced the rod with my legs while pulling away sideways from a difficult area while fighting a fish.  It isn't pretty.
Besides, from the video it looks like the 360 requires two hands to go sideways.  One for the rudder and one for the drive direction.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger

I have...braced the rod with my legs while pulling away sideways from a difficult area while fighting a fish.  It isn't pretty.
Besides, from the video it looks like the 360 requires two hands to go sideways.  One for the rudder and one for the drive direction.

hmmm... looks like both steering controls are on the port side, plus rudder only on the starboard side... >:D

I guessing the one in his hand turns the drive and can spin around and around and around...like those little kicker motors. 

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 09:29:47 AM by rogerdodger »

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I guess they were just holding on with the other hand in the video for the quick turns.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I actually think the kick up fins is the bigger game changer for Hobie and something they should be able to integrate into their other drive systems.

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
I actually think the kick up fins is the bigger game changer for Hobie and something they should be able to integrate into their other drive systems.

I totally agree, there is a truck load of money to be made off the kick-up fins, I would make them like a $100 option on new kayaks that come with 'normal' Mirage drives and also as an upgrade to all those existing drives out there being used.

SamM

• Lingcod
  • McDowellHome
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
The price of a new Hobie kayak can be a tough one to swallow, but really liking the R&D going into these new Mirage Drive advancements over the past 4 years!   I wasn't really missing reverse with my original drives, but really like the options/opportunities once I got a 180.  Again, this new 360 looks to be an amazing upgrade for the flatwater fishermen, but the kick-up fins may be huge for all.

I guess they were just holding on with the other hand in the video for the quick turns.

Still no lap-belts on the Vantage seat, so you better hold on with two hands with the turns made in the videos!

-Sam
got stop wishing,
     got to go fishing...
          - Jimmy Buffett

Hobie Oasis, Outback, i11s

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I can't see them adding the 360 to the Revo, given that it has more of a touring purpose than fishing (even though it is one of the more popular lines for fishing here).    My guess is they may need some hull depth for that mechanism to work and it would even be a height issue for the new Outback. 

I do like that it appears that they may have gotten rid of the chains and splines

The kick up fins are the biggest improvement and honestly I am surprised it has taken this long.  It seems like it would be easy to make it a kit to add them (like the V1 to V2 kit for the existing MD180).  The MD180 splines are certainly not that sturdy: One of mine broke (and when I say broke I mean shattered)  when pulling my TI onto the trailer and forgetting to take the drive out.   Hobie replaced it under warranty, but that makes me think they know there is a bit of a weakness.  It seems like poor engineering to make the spendy/complex part the weak link rather than the relatively cheap/easy to replace mast. 

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013

^^^ THIS

^^^ AND THIS

I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

anything