Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:29:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Oregon rockfish classic.was there a rescue today out of depose bay.  (Read 8148 times)

• scupper pro.low budget/tech style.coast local
  • Date Registered: Dec 2017
Thanks for all the info.glad everyone was safe and accounted for.I am familiar with the area around government point and fogarty.The waves can do some really wild stuff there with the cliffs and underwater reefs it can get really weird with the different tides.especially the minus ones we’re having this time of year.be safe and bang some fish y’all!

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
I called Hobie in SoCal & after explaining my situation, they gave me a 40% discount on a new seat. That's how a company retains a loyal customer base.   :icon_thumleft: Outdoorplay sent me the new seat.

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I feel your pain Paul.  I lost my seat while practicing self rescue at Hagg Lake.  I was lucky enough to find a used one on eBay for about $300.  I since upgraded the retention system and it now has a pad eye attached to the hull and some shock cord with a carabinier tied to the seat.  The little red clip goes on the button then the carabinier goes through that red clip and the pad eye.  That seat isn't going anywhere now.  ;)
My seat also had the button & carabiner setup, but the carabiner wasn't made to bare weight & didn't hold. I'd intended to change it, but hadn't got to it yet. The other things that didn't hold were the YakAttack safety flag & Stealth rod holder. The safety flag snapped off just above the foam handle & the hollow threaded tube that attached the rod holder to the rail also snapped. The rod stayed in the holder. I'm not sure why the rod holder was constructed with a hollow tube instead of a solid stainless bolt. Definitely a weak link. Glad I had both rods tethered.
Are you saying that you had the seat clipped in with the stock Hobie leash and it didn’t hold?
  yep, didn't hold. The carabiner didn't hold either.
How high up did you have the seat?
In the lower kicker position, which raised my center of gravity slightly.

Hi Paul, glad you are okay. I work with Stealth and I'm wondering where it exactly broke. Was it part of the rod holder it's self or a component. If component, was it a Stealth part? Thanks.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Paul,

I have the same flag and light, What I did was bought a yard of safety yellow fabric at Joann's then sewed a piece onto the existing flag to make it larger and more visible. https://www.joann.com/utility-fabric-safety-fabric-yellow/10173367.html

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
A disadvantage of some fiberglass poles, such as the fiberglass ATV flag poles you can buy, is that they're real floppy, and swing through a wide arc as your kayak rocks on waves.  This drives me crazy.  An advantage of the cheap heavy Walmart fishing pole I am using as my safety flag pole is that it is stiff enough that it doesn't flop around.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
I dunno Pete, each has its merits. The floppy atv pole would help with getting noticed because of all the extra motion,  but the fishing rod being a bit stiffer would keep it straighter and higher, with the advantage of allowing the wind to full unfurl the flag.  Guess, it just depends on your preference   
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

ah jeez

• Plankton
  • oh man, oh wow.
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
I usually think of myself as fairly inventive, so I'm sitting here wondering how the hell i never thought of just using an old rod for a flag holder.  ???

also: glad everyone was okay. got myself in a spot of trouble a few years back in the Salish Sea and had to put in on a small beach on one of the Gulf Islands while fending off a seal at 1am

by the time the Coast Guard got to me I was well ashore and warming up, and they wanted me to get back in the water to get out to them.

naturally, THAT'S when I capsized. and me without my emergency clown nose.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
Did you at least have your shoes and horn?  >:D
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
I usually think of myself as fairly inventive, so I'm sitting here wondering how the hell i never thought of just using an old rod for a flag holder.  ???

also: glad everyone was okay. got myself in a spot of trouble a few years back in the Salish Sea and had to put in on a small beach on one of the Gulf Islands while fending off a seal at 1am

by the time the Coast Guard got to me I was well ashore and warming up, and they wanted me to get back in the water to get out to them.

naturally, THAT'S when I capsized. and me without my emergency clown nose.

Now we want the full story - how did you end up having to fend off a seal at 1 am? Was she(he?) feeling amorous to you? Someone owes him money or fish or something?  C’mon, man, inquiring minds want to know!

:happy1:
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

ah jeez

• Plankton
  • oh man, oh wow.
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Now we want the full story - how did you end up having to fend off a seal at 1 am? Was she(he?) feeling amorous to you? Someone owes him money or fish or something?  C’mon, man, inquiring minds want to know!

I wish it was that interesting, but it was just an ordinary, biggish harbour seal. I think urban kayak tourists in the area had been feeding them maybe, cos there was an uptick in aggressive encounters for a couple of seasons around the west side of Texada, including one young kayaker being capsized by a seal who approached looking all cute, then grabbed her foot just long enough to pull her in.

in my case (scared shitless, and with that encounter in mind) as soon as he got close enough I whacked him in the head with the flat of my paddle and called him a rude name.

he kept his distance after that, but never really went away until I was ashore. i haven't heard of any more aggressive encounters lately, so I assume they got et by an orca.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
Karmic  justice? 

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013

I wish it was that interesting, but it was just an ordinary, biggish harbour seal. I think urban kayak tourists in the area had been feeding them maybe, cos there was an uptick in aggressive encounters for a couple of seasons around the west side of Texada, including one young kayaker being capsized by a seal who approached looking all cute, then grabbed her foot just long enough to pull her in.

in my case (scared shitless, and with that encounter in mind) as soon as he got close enough I whacked him in the head with the flat of my paddle and called him a rude name.

he kept his distance after that, but never really went away until I was ashore. i haven't heard of any more aggressive encounters lately, so I assume they got et by an orca.

Ah well... Darn that believable reality anyway! <GRIN>
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

anything