Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 11:37:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:37:19 AM]

[Today at 06:19:06 AM]

[May 27, 2024, 09:56:01 PM]

by PNW
[May 27, 2024, 03:12:21 PM]

[May 27, 2024, 07:56:46 AM]

[May 24, 2024, 10:50:02 AM]

[May 24, 2024, 06:36:26 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 07:06:28 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:37:37 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:35:15 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:33:32 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

[May 21, 2024, 04:51:49 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 01:07:12 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Where and when to fish for Summer Chinook in Puget Sound  (Read 14547 times)

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I'm going one step further.  I bought a 1.5m sail from JNR Sails ($150).  The masts and rigging are all hardware store stuff ($50).  I've already done a few successful sea trials, and I've even made a leeboard (detachable). 

Since the ebb tide is generally towards the north,  and the summer prevailing wind is north to south,  I may be able to make a long ebb tide drift (mooching)  and return to my start point by sailing.  This is all experimental,  but the sailing is doable.

Kaz I saw you fishing way off the point in the main current, if you fish in closer near the current break it wouldn't be as bad. You can even go into the back eddy and hitch a ride back up on certain parts of the tide. Gets real swirly trying to stay on top of your line though if you're jigging.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 05:12:28 PM by workhard »

kaz

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
I'm going one step further.  I bought a 1.5m sail from JNR Sails ($150).  The masts and rigging are all hardware store stuff ($50).  I've already done a few successful sea trials, and I've even made a leeboard (detachable). 

Since the ebb tide is generally towards the north,  and the summer prevailing wind is north to south,  I may be able to make a long ebb tide drift (mooching)  and return to my start point by sailing.  This is all experimental,  but the sailing is doable.

Kaz I saw you fishing way off the point in the main current, if you fish in closer near the current break it wouldn't be as bad. You can even go into the back eddy and hitch a ride back up on certain parts of the tide. Gets real swirly trying to stay on top of your line though if you're jigging.

Hey workhard, 

You're right.  I'm still fishing drifts at PNP as though I were still in my PB.  I used to do well fishing in deeper water outside of the crowds,  by making long sweeping drifts.  I've allotted some time for fishing this week.  I made the guess that the WDFG would be extending the season. 

I like your suggestion.  I'll give it a go on Thurs.  I've also rigged-up another rod for jigging.  I've been wasting time fussing/changing  gear.  I have also prepared my Wilson Darts with your  thru-hook technique. 

I also just bought another yak.  It's an old Necky Dolphin 14 for $300.  It's got a sleek touring  hull and only weighs 55 lbs.  The hull is widened at the seat (29") but the hull sharply narrows towards the bow and stern.  I hope to have this yak on the water this weekend.  This pic is pretty much just like my new/old yak. 

http://www.listorn.com/slo/ads/images/39/f3Kb3If3L35Ie5F35H2d43b6cbaa6f0e681e8d.jpg
Cape Falcon F1 (homemade, skin boat)
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

SciGuy

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Kaz, were/are you out there again today? I saw a kayaker off the point while I was flinging flies from the beach. It seemed slow for the boats but couldn’t have been worse than the beach. I’ll join you out there in my Outback on Friday and Saturday or hits points a bit farther South.
Bill

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I can tell you where not to fish for chinook right now, that would be Golden Gardens. Did a dawn patrol today, beautiful on the water but a dearth of bait and action. Spoke to a PB about what he was seeing in his screen, he said “it’s kind of... desolate”. I hope other folks having better luck but definitely feels like still early there. Better work schedule tomorrow, going to see if I can sort a dawn patrol up north.

kaz

• Perch
Kaz, were/are you out there again today? I saw a kayaker off the point while I was flinging flies from the beach. It seemed slow for the boats but couldn’t have been worse than the beach. I’ll join you out there in my Outback on Friday and Saturday or hits points a bit farther South.

Not today.

Last Sunday,  there was a decent bite just before the top of the tide (high).  Most of the action was just in front of the lighthouse.  I have typically done my best  at PNP with an early morning dead-high (to fish the ebb).  Luckily,  the timing will be perfect for the next few days (dead high at 5:25am Fri.).  I'll probably be in my orange T13.  By Sat.  I hope to be trying my new/old Dolphin 14.  Good luck.  It may be decent fishing.
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

workhard

• Salmon

That was me and a coworker. I bailed to fish areas with higher bag limits he stuck around and got a wild and 'lost a big one'. I don't weight fish but guessing this fish was around 20lbs.

Noob Noob

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2019

That was me and a coworker. I bailed to fish areas with higher bag limits he stuck around and got a wild and 'lost a big one'. I don't weight fish but guessing this fish was around 20lbs.

Beautiful fish, dude!  :D

workhard scores again!
"It's OK to eat fish because they don't have any feelings."  ~ Kurt Cobain

kaz

• Perch

Hey SciGuy, 

I have to work tomorrow,  but I'll be at PNP Sat.  You might want to look at the marine forecast.  On Fri.  the winds at PNP will be 16-17mph  with gusts to 33mph.  It'll be a little messy. 

kaz

Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

workhard

• Salmon

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
workhard, any recs for a MA10 or N MA11 spot for Monday morning? Have been anchored to E side of Sound but have a bit more time. I’m not savvy beyond basics wrt which types of features/geographies to fish in specific tides, would appreciate any advice. And if there’s a reference book or site out there i’m down for more research, that out of print fishery managers book you recommended months ago had some useful stuff.

workhard

• Salmon
workhard, any recs for a MA10 or N MA11 spot for Monday morning? Have been anchored to E side of Sound but have a bit more time. I’m not savvy beyond basics wrt which types of features/geographies to fish in specific tides, would appreciate any advice. And if there’s a reference book or site out there i’m down for more research, that out of print fishery managers book you recommended months ago had some useful stuff.

I avoid that area due to traffic, but I did catch fish at the Edmonds Oil Docks posted up in the boats' trolling lanes jigging last year. I know there are fish there right now, I'd say that'd be a good option.

Yeah, Frank Haw's book is golden. John's Maps are great, and in the 90's and 00's the Kitsap Sun ran a fishing piece by Drew Hawthrone who was a guide at the time and has a lot of information on the Central Sound. The articles are great but unorganized. A guide out of Gig Harbor Salt Patrol has a lot of good information on Area 11.

NOAA puts out high quality online bathymetry of most of the Sound. Uncheck everything besides 'Bag Color Shaded Relief'

All of the counties have parcel maps which are extremely useful for looking for places to launch.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 04:21:44 PM by workhard »

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
Thanks, appreciate it. Your advice is always solid. Have been wanting to scope that and feel like N is right call. That Haw book has a bunch of epic wisdom, some of it subtle. I like how he’s focused on catching the bigger chinook, has influenced my style and thinking. I like those NOAA bathymetry maps a lot but am needing to figure out how to transpose, overlay or at minimum tune up my finder (Hook2 5) map, it’s kind of weak. Have been honing in on those features along the bottom for the chinook. Am always tracking on John’s stuff incl FB, has been really useful. Will chase down those other resources. Always working to tune up the program!

SciGuy

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Found 1 king early before the turn but just a couple of pinks and shakers thereafter. The king was on a dodger/hootchie+herring strip and pinks on a flasher/kingfisher. More bait around today than I’ve seen over the past 3 weeks. Also saw a few decent sized Coho jumping. Hopefully the ocean Coho are starting to trickle in.
Bill

crkohrin

• Krill
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Found one on the back side of the tide change at Shilshole this morning, was finding coho a bit further out but the king was pinched in pretty tight to the channel marker at Meadow Pt. Diver, flasher, GS bucktail inside a hoochie, herring bait strips.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”