Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:56:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: location for new member or existing member  (Read 1849 times)

showa

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Please make a location for new member or existing member as a requirement, so we don't have to ask for it.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Please make a location for new member or existing member as a requirement, so we don't have to ask for it.

Why? 

Unless a person is selling something, or looking for a fishing buddy and doesn't make any attempt to state where they need a fishing buddy, then I don't see the need to make knowing where they are a "requirement".

Can you elaborate on how this would make a difference?

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

showa

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2016
When they have a question or I saw a few people ask where they are or some time I see people have a same interest as me, and later found out they are from different state. I am sure there are a few people have a same feeling as I am. We are not asking for the address, just the city where they live or a minimum state. This site is for a lot of states. If this is too much to ask, then i am fine with it. 

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
The location of members shows on the top right of their post:
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
If they enter the information in their forum profile.  I don't know why folks choose to not add it to their profile, but some don't.  If it's a privacy thing, they can do what I do.  No robot is ever going to bother checking my GPS coordinates to figure out where I live - but then, I'm a well-known, over-thinking, anti-social, butthead.   8)
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
If they enter the information in their forum profile.  I don't know why folks choose to not add it to their profile, but some don't.  If it's a privacy thing, they can do what I do.  No robot is ever going to bother checking my GPS coordinates to figure out where I live - but then, I'm a well-known, over-thinking, anti-social, butthead.   8)

Ridiculous.

You aren't all that well-known.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Okay, you got me.  One can't be both anti-social and well-known.  How about "recognizable to a few"?

Three is still "a few" isn't it?  Even if they're my dogs and it's time for dinner?

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
When they have a question or I saw a few people ask where they are or some time I see people have a same interest as me, and later found out they are from different state. I am sure there are a few people have a same feeling as I am. We are not asking for the address, just the city where they live or a minimum state. This site is for a lot of states. If this is too much to ask, then i am fine with it.

I'm guessing that new folks don't know there is an option for listing their location, so maybe a popup note to new members letting them know it is a thing and why it may be useful could be an option during registration.  I don't think it should be mandatory. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Or, instead of feeling frustrated by not knowing their location, you could just ignore them.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006

I'm guessing that new folks don't know there is an option for listing their location, so maybe a popup note to new members letting them know it is a thing and why it may be useful could be an option during registration.  I don't think it should be mandatory.

The location field shows up when people are registering.  No profile fields are mandatory except username, and there is no way to make them mandatory.  Not that I would want to make it mandatory.  People can be funny at times with privacy type issues, and I don't even want to go there.

-Allen

anything