Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 11:33:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:31:01 PM]

[Today at 07:01:25 PM]

[Today at 04:21:47 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Mat for sea walls, rocky shore landings?  (Read 2042 times)

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Hoping to get some ideas from the group. Some of my regular fishing spots include a cement sea wall to get over, and also rocky beaches. I’m often going solo so am getting my Outback over these but there is usually some contact. I’m thinking I need to tune up my act, my old yak is/was a beater so I wasn’t worried about scratches but would hate to damage my newer yak. Mostly for safety and cost/investment, aesthetics not a big concern.

I was thinking about getting something like a u-line mat section (think those heavier rubber mats with holes in them often used in restaurant kitchens. Would lay on sea walls for the transfer, then lay btw water edge and shore for setting up and launching on rocky/barnacled areas.

Looking at the u-line product online they are pretty heavy. Has anyone used anything similar, ideally lighter, with good results? Thinking a car floor mat could be another option. I may go to a restaurant supply store to see what they have, but keen to hear ideas. Thanks!

conquestdz

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2019
I think a 2' by about  4' piece of scrap carpet would fit the bill nicely and cost nothing.  You could roll it up and toss it under the bungee on the back.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Used to "beach" a PB on a rough and rocky shoreline so I bought a cheap carpeted rubber-backed car floor mat and screwed it to a pair of 2x2's (like a stretcher) so it wouldn't bunch up.  We'd pull the boat up onto it.  Never gouged the hull again.  It's fairly lightweight and can be rolled and stored in the hull.

You might try a cheap car floor mat.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Carpet and rubber strike me as heavy materials.

I have a roll-up cutting board in my camping kit. It is a smooth and slippery plastic that feels almost like just a much thinner grade of the same material as my kayak hull. Very light weight and resilient.

Of course it is only 12"x12". But if you could source a 4' x 2' sheet it would be lighter than anything else mentioned.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
When its time to replace the bathmat, just take that.  Or goto costo and get the cheapo "memory foam" bath mats

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Thanks all, great ideas. I abused the crap out of my old sit on top Cobra and still no leakage, but figure I need to be more careful with the Hobie and hulls in general going forward.

showa

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I would use a fish pond liner for this. It is tough, cheap and light. I use this a lot when I drill holes into kayak and cut a small piece and put it in screw, bolt etc. it make a good seal.

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
  • A bad day of fishing is still better than a good d
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
A kids roll up snow toboggan. as it is already pre-rolled it will want to curve around your hull making it grab on. opposed to carbet it won't shred or unravel, and it will slide as good if not better than your roto-molded kayak.
US Army & Army National Guard Veteran of 34 years
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

anything