Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:51:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Kayak insurance?  (Read 2665 times)

Noob Noob

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2019
So I've decided to upgrade from my Pescador Pilot to a 2019 Outback.   ;D

Do any of you have insurance specifically for your kayaks?

I started thinking about it this morning and found that my auto insurance company (Pemco) also offers personal watercraft insurance. It covers all kinds of things like personal injury, damage to the kayak/gear as well as costs incurred for rescues.
"It's OK to eat fish because they don't have any feelings."  ~ Kurt Cobain

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
So I've decided to upgrade from my Pescador Pilot to a 2019 Outback.   ;D

Do any of you have insurance specifically for your kayaks?

I started thinking about it this morning and found that my auto insurance company (Pemco) also offers personal watercraft insurance. It covers all kinds of things like personal injury, damage to the kayak/gear as well as costs incurred for rescues.

I have opted for extra coverage in the outdoor equipment/sporting goods section of my homeowner's insurance. I imagine the same thing could be done for renters insurance

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Clay

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
I asked my insurance agent about it and he said that Erie has an included rider for boats with motors under 75 hp and since the kayak was under 75 hp, I was covered for up to $3000 or $3500.  That wasn't enough so I put more insurance which covered the PA14, the trailer, the electronics and the rest of the gear.  I think it cost me a whopping $100 for $7K of insurance coverage. 

Your insurance might be very different, but the point is to KNOW what you have or don't have for coverage BEFORE you need it and not after you have a loss. 

I was reading with horror about a guy who's bolt together trailer came apart on the interstate.  He drug his Hobie for miles and it rubbed a hole through the hull.  He had no coverage and the boat was totaled. 

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Noob Noob

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2019
...I was reading with horror about a guy who's bolt together trailer came apart on the interstate.  He drug his Hobie for miles and it rubbed a hole through the hull.  He had no coverage and the boat was totaled.

Egad! That is just too painful to imagine. Will probably never be me since I strap mine onto roof racks.

Thanks for the advice, guys. As it turns out, my homeowner's insurance was only setup to cover sporting equipment located at my condo and would not have paid for damage from a car accident. Before I went to pick her up this morning, I called my Allstate agent. He added on 25k worth of sporting equipment coverage for only an extra $7 something per month.
"It's OK to eat fish because they don't have any feelings."  ~ Kurt Cobain

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008

...I was reading with horror about a guy who's bolt together trailer came apart on the interstate.  He drug his Hobie for miles and it rubbed a hole through the hull.  He had no coverage and the boat was totaled.

Egad! That is just too painful to imagine. Will probably never be me since I strap mine onto roof racks.

Thanks for the advice, guys. As it turns out, my homeowner's insurance was only setup to cover sporting equipment located at my condo and would not have paid for damage from a car accident. Before I went to pick her up this morning, I called my Allstate agent. He added on 25k worth of sporting equipment coverage for only an extra $7 something per month.
That is a good deal.

anything