Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:50:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Ambleside  (Read 3060 times)

Hocuspik

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
G Day! Anyone been out in the ambleside area this last week? Just curious as don't see many post's from vancouver area.

Yak fisher

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
I was there last week going back tomorrow morning

DBam

• Rockfish
I lurk pretty hard; I apologise for not posting more. Hopefully I can get out a little bit the coming weekends. Definitely up for fishing with some company. Those fish are beauts 👌

Cloudserph

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jul 2019
I kind of stopped showing up to this forum since the posts were a bit few and far in between.

I finally got rigged up and made my first run at Ambleside today, trolling the circuit with the 40 or so boats out there. I got skunked, but then again I'm new to ocean salmon fishing and am trying to learn the ropes.. Saw a few other kayakers out there. Definitely would like to head out more and am up for meeting up with others. I run a Revo 13, so keeping up while using the downrigger isn't too hard.

nice fish Yak Fisher. Those pics shall be my inspiration. :)

Yak fisher

• Perch
I got skunked yesterday too and so many boats, only saw one guy bringing fish in :-(
Might go on Wednesday and try chocked hearing way:

Cloudserph

• Krill
Great tip on the choked herring. Why would this method have an advantage going both ways in current over a krippled anchovy?

I may head out wednesday morning as well before work, if possible.

Cloudserph

• Krill
Today seemed pretty decent. Saw some boats hook up, and I lost one when it wrapped around my rudder and broke my line losing my flasher and rig.

After wondering what was wrong with the gps speed on my fishfinder, I realized I was in a super strong tidal current. GPS speed up was 0 and down was 5 if I pedaled at all. Explained why all the boats appeared to just be sitting there. When the current looks to be faster than trolling speed.. do you guys point upstream and backtroll? How do you get a baseline for current speed, do you drift for a short distance to see how fast you're moving and then pedal the difference?

Also, I plan on heading out Sunday am if anyone's interested in meeting up.

Yak fisher

• Perch
I'm judging based on my downrigger's line angle if the current gets strong and pedaling against the current.
Lost a king on Wednesday, but it was super choppy and I had to switch to bottom jigging. Had a decent size spring next to my kayak, turned to grab a net, and %$#$&$^$ lost tit :-)   
Planning to go on Sunday too, but the currents will be strong tomorrow. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 10:50:10 PM by Yak fisher »

Hocuspik

• Krill
Nice picture's!! Hoping for a try at it this week if work and tides coincide.

Cloudserph

• Krill
Went out Labour day morning and had no luck. Heard a few boats had gotten into some springs, and they all appeared to be stacked into the channel real close to the mouth. I was running more along the shelf around 60ft of water, and my downrigger was running probably 40ft at its deepest. Heard boats typically run 55 and deeper. I think I'm just not getting my 4lb ball deep enough. I get a ton of blowback, up to 60-70 degrees at times. I think I'm going to just have to compensate and let out more downrigger line.

Yak fisher

• Perch
no fish since August... super slow. Just flounder and spiny dogfish, few other kind for variety, no salmon ...

Cloudserph

• Krill
It had been a grind for most it seems since beginning of Sept I've noticed. I had been going twice a week until the rain came. Probably resulted in 4 bites, 3 of which came off, and 1 being a flounder. Probably should have mooched deep more, instead of trolling so much. I parked the kayak in favor of waders and river rod.