Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:27:21 PM]

[Today at 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[Today at 07:27:41 AM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:19:21 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:17:12 PM]

by Spot
[March 29, 2024, 03:34:50 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: How do you guys manage around boats?  (Read 3002 times)

Cloudserph

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jul 2019
Maybe this pertains to more of the pedal crowd vs paddle(unless youre a beast and can paddle a steady troll dragging bits amongst traffic), but how do you guys manage trolling when around boats? In areas where there's clearly a circuit of trollers, do you join in or steer clear? Have you had any altercations? I managed ok amongst boats the other day I think, never got into any tangles or gotten in way of anyone.. I would pull off to the shallows when changing lures, etc.. What do you guys do?

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Troll on in! Just dont be a nuisance. Do as you did clear the hole when your not under power and  keeping up.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Keep your head on a swivel and pay attention first and foremost!

I've had to use hand signals a few times, waving and pointing where I'm going. That's helped in confusing situations. Avoiding crowds is ideal but not always possible.

Agree with JoJo, just try to be a decent human being and err on the side of giving folks room and you should have no problems.
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Join in! They are trolling specific terrain for a reason, so the odds are pretty good you’ll want to be on those spots or depths at least part of the time. One of the main reasons I went to a pedal kayak, had been paddling and catching large chinook in a busy lineup locally and was worried that at some point I’d either get cut off or gum up someone else’s program.

Just mind yourself, be an asset to the group. I think some PB’s have had bad experiences with kayaks. Be predictable, be aware of others, and if you are not using a downrigger when trolling (thereby extending the space around you they need to manage), probably better to stay on margins.

Talk to them too. Typically breaks the ice, lets them know you are legit. Some can be tools to kayakers, others can have good intel and are easy to work with. Also if you are in line with your flow (i.e. have your shit together) don’t be intimidated- there are always folks who will try to mess with you. I typically do my thing and talk to them if there’s a recurring issue.

Kayaks can be more nimble, so remember that when boats are reading the path ahead they are looking for other boats (and kayakers) to be with the program and predictable. On the flip side, if you can resolve a potential traffic jam because you can manouver more easily that’s a good thing too.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 02:04:49 PM by Dawn Patrol »

Cloudserph

• Krill
Thanks for the tips! Glad to know I'm not going into no mans land. I'm new to the pedal kayak- been a paddler for a long while. Last time I went out, 2.5-3mph was doable but I had a 2lb ball off my downrigger, which I realized wasn't good enough. Going to go 4# but I think I'm going to have to see how much I can keep up especially when running deeper. Probably will have to pull it up every now and then to take a break if Im in a spot where I can't clear the hole.

kaz

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
What worries me most about PBs,  is that some idiot will ram me.  There will always be a few rude or wiseass boaters,  but it's the reckless who are more of a hazard. 

On FB today there's a clip of skiff on top of another (Buoy 10).  Both skiffs sank,  but it seems that all  fishermen were recovered.  FB @Area 1-13 fishing, crabbing, shellfish

I have a lighted flag,  and in low-light conditions I add an additional light.

Edit:  Video of Buoy 10 @Kayak fishing Addicts NW
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 02:44:59 PM by kaz »
Cape Falcon F1 (homemade, skin boat)
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
What worries me most about PBs,  is that some idiot will ram me.  There will always be a few rude or wiseass boaters,  but it's the reckless who are more of a hazard. 

On FB today there's a clip of skiff on top of another (Buoy 10).  Both skiffs sank,  but it seems that all  fishermen were recovered.  FB @Area 1-13 fishing, crabbing, shellfish

I have a lighted flag,  and in low-light conditions I add an additional light.

I've broadsided multiple boats hooked up on Chinook towing me at Point No Point over the years, I think they should watch out for us. Seriously though, as long as you're not running a diver while all the boats are on downriggers you'll be fine. I've never had issues with boats and I fish in large groups of them often all over Puget Sound.

Stevm

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
It actually worries me more when there are less boats around than when there are a lot of boats and they have to pay attention.  I’ve had few problems when there are a lot of boats - and drivers have to pay attention - most people are courteous or at least follow the rules.  I fish for springers in 2 busy areas on the Willamette with no problems so far, as long as I remember that I turn a lot faster than they do.
About 6 or 7 years ago on Diamond Lake, on an almost empty lake, I had a boat wind drift up over the back of my kayak because they didn’t think there was anyone around, and were busy fishing - it got my attention, my back wet, and they were very embarrassed but no real damage. Around that same time a NWKA member had a boat run over the back of his kayak - and captured it on video - I think that is in the archive?  That driver obviously wasn’t paying attention.
I don’t worry about the PBs, but I do keep looking around.

“Once a year go someplace you have never been “
Dali Llama

2015 Outback Dune
2020 Outback Dune
20? OK Trident 13 Dune Camo

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
It actually worries me more when there are less boats around than when there are a lot of boats and they have to pay attention.

Yep. My only 'close call' in 15 years of kayaking was in the former conditions. Only boat within site was a sailboat coming into Shilshole - guy was maybe 60 yards away and lined up to pass me by a good 20 yards, when he turned right into me. Guy heard/saw me and turned away at the very last minute, passing within about 10 feet of me.

Never had any trouble trolling with PBs last year. They're after the same thing we are; they're generally happy to share notes on depth, presentation, etc.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Maybe this pertains to more of the pedal crowd vs paddle(unless youre a beast and can paddle a steady troll dragging bits amongst traffic)

Just to be clear, it doesn't take a pedal drive or super human strength/stamina to be successful trolling for salmon in a crowd.

If you want to see what B10 is like from a kayak, just to 1:35.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
But you are a super human Mark! Love the whistle look at my rod!! Reminds mo of the Nehalem right after we launched  >:D
Great vid as always and “spot” on, you fish too much.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Cloudserph

• Krill
Maybe this pertains to more of the pedal crowd vs paddle(unless youre a beast and can paddle a steady troll dragging bits amongst traffic)

Just to be clear, it doesn't take a pedal drive or super human strength/stamina to be successful trolling for salmon in a crowd.

If you want to see what B10 is like from a kayak, just to 1:35.

-Mark-

Maybe the water up here in Vancouver, BC is thicker than down there at B10.  :laughing9: I've tried paddling with a downrigger and even just a 2lb ball at 40ft deep gets tiring after awhile, avging 1.8-2.0.

bpm2000

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Echoing the statements made here - PBs tend to be wiseasses and annoyed but generally seem to know what is up. In the dark I've had to wave some of them down while they are running hard but no issues thus far. Sailboats however, they are quite often too busy messing around with riggings and tilted over so far on one side they have no idea where you are.           

This weekend at shilshole I was hugging the marina sea wall trying to get back in safely while a bunch of sailboats were out doing their thing in the wind, no problem. I had a large sailboat barrel down on me from behind yelling at me to get out of the way despite my right-of-way, cut me off on the INSIDE track between me and the riprap (wtf???) and then proceed to cut a hard 90-degree turn right in front of the marina entrance cutting off several other boats. I was thinking these idiots were going to seriously run aground and lose half of their crew when that thing swung around.           

formerly known as smokeondawater

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Come to think of it, the layout of a sailboat puts them at a disadvantage for visibility - they're tucked into the stern, and often have 20+ feet of boat in between them and the bow.

Dealing with tackle, heeled over - the boat that nearly did me in had none of those excuses. He was under motor, and I could see the pilot chilling by the wheel the entire time. This was a case of straight up negligence... which is a great example of Stevm's suggestion that empty seas breed complacency. 

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Your a boat too just smaller. Do what they do.wait for a hole and join in.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.