Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:39:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Buying advice-hobie drive vs old town  (Read 5092 times)

couriersean

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
I've lurked for awhile, watched a lot of videos and I've bothered the local kayak shops more than a few times. I demoed a Hobie Outback yesterday and loved it, but it didn't love me. I found the drive to be clunky and I aggravated a recent knee strain, which is something I don't see others commenting on, so now I'm wondering if anybody else tried the hobie drive and felt the same way (clunky and just didn't jive with the adjustments)?
I adjusted the pedals, with 1 setting being a little too short and the other being a little too long (this is where i overextended the knee I think). Perhaps the seat adjustment could've made this a better fit.
I kind of wanted to demo the Revo anyway, so should I give the hobie drive another try and get the seat dialed in, or should I check out something like the Old Towns to get a smoother feel? I like the idea of a Hobie because they have a good following, good reputation, and I can actually demo and buy one today in Kitsap County, but I certainly like the Old Town price tag more.
I will be using this in the strait and the sound chasing rockfish, lingcod and salmon.
Thank you in advance

uplandsandpiper

It's highly variable but I've met several anglers who felt that the bicycle style pedal system was easier on their knees or legs that the Mirage drive. I've also met angler who felt the opposite. I fished from a Hobie Revo and an Oasis for the better part of a decade and have been fishing from Old Town kayaks for the past 1.5 years and the major difference I notice is that my feet feel much better after a day in the Old Town than in the Hobie where they feel sorer. I think this is due to the fact that with the "stair stepper" type force applied in a Mirage drive more force is being applied to one foot than the other whereas with the PDL drive from Old Town equal force is distributed on each foot through the stroke.

The most important thing is to get the kayak most suited for your in terms of fit, comfort, and design with the obvious caveat of being affordable to you. That being said Hobie makes a great boat and has a great reputation for quality and customer service. However, Old Town's customer service is bar none the best in the business. They carry a 5 year warranty on the PDL drive and a lifetime warranty on the kayak itself. No one comes close to that kind of warranty.

If you have a chance you should check out the Salty PDL 120. Its a sub $2000 pedal kayak design for big water and current, its fast (as fast a Revo 13), plenty of storage behind you and in the front for a catch bag (they did away with a forward hatch), and has 3 vertical rod holders. I have one in my garage in Brewster and live right on the columbia river if ever you want to stop by and toss it back there for a spin.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Couriersean, when trying out Mirage Drive and propeller drive kayaks, remember that it will take you a while to get into shape for pedaling either kind of kayak.  Even if you are an experienced bicyclist, there is enough difference between the muscles which you use when pedaling an standard upright diamond frame bike and the muscles which you use when pedaling a recumbent bicycle or a pedal kayak that it'll take you a while to get in shape for pedaling a kayak.  I have a recumbent bike, and remember that it took me a while to get in shape for pedaling it.  I think that the experience and conditioning I got when pedaling a recumbent bike made it easier for me to get used to pedaling my Hobie Revolution.  You should certainly try out different kinds and models of pedal kayaks as you try to decide which kayak to buy. But remember that you will be in a better position to evaluate different pedal kayaks after you've had some experience using one and have gotten in shape for pedaling a kayak.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 04:18:05 PM by pmmpete »

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
I am one of those who tried out both a Hobie and a Native Slayer bicycle drive on the same day.  The Hobie drive's motion killed my knees, the Native did not.  Definitely make sure you try out both styles. 
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

couriersean

• Herring
Thanks for the replies! My knee strain is from jumping into some weight training a little too quickly, so conditioning is definitely a factor. I'll have to find a "bicycle drive" style and see how it feels.
The Salty PDL 120 is definitely on my list

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Not close but I have two propels in Tillamook with lakes and the bay close by if you want to try one out, there older models but the drives are the same.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Saltycutt

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
I'm out on a local lake or beach once or twice a week with a pedal drive. You're welcome to meet me and take it for a spin to compare the motion to Hobie and see if your knee likes it any better.

couriersean

• Herring
Thank you for the offers. I'm going to call the local shops and see what other options they have for demo and sale.
Mojo Jojo, I'm actually going to be down in Tillamook next week. I might take you up on your offer if you're available.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Thank you for the offers. I'm going to call the local shops and see what other options they have for demo and sale.
Mojo Jojo, I'm actually going to be down in Tillamook next week. I might take you up on your offer if you're available.
Shoot me a pm

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I am quickly reminded today that being in bike shape does not make you in Hobie shape.  Had not pedaled my kayak for a few weeks here, but ride a stationary bike 3-4 times a week and am very sore today...

couriersean

• Herring
Shin09, I ride mountain bikes and was surprised how different it is. The more I reflect on my 1 experience, the more I'm thinking it was a combination of things that led to me thinking the hobie wasn't for me, not the least of which is me not being in Hobie shape. I was expecting it to be more like a bike ride, but it was like a recumbent stair-step machine. haha

Yak fisher

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Oh yeah.... I tried both and I like Hobie better, on the other hand my friend likes Old Town better.
Try both systems and go with your feeling. It's you who will be using it at the end.

anything