Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:01:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:40:17 PM]

[Today at 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Looking to test ride an Old Town  (Read 3938 times)

Saltycutt

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
I'm ready for a new boat, wondering if anyone is local to Tacoma with a Old Town Sportsman PDL 120, or Bigwater they'd let me take for a lap? I know they've been rebadged, so a topwater or predator would be great.  Really want to give one a spin before I order. I'll drive anywhere within a couple hours and bring a 6 pack of your choice of course.

Cheers
Steve
Tacoma

showa

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I have been asking for the same question in here and facebook, but no respond except Tyler Hicks in Brewster did offer this request. So I will go there in April or just bite the bullet and order one.

Saltycutt

• Herring
I have been asking for the same question in here and facebook, but no respond except Tyler Hicks in Brewster did offer this request. So I will go there in April or just bite the bullet and order one.
Right on, I'm surprised we don't have a big paddle sport shop around. It's Hobie or nothing in this area. Looks like lead times are getting better from Old Town.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

Saltycutt

• Herring

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
There might just be a reason behind Hobie's market dominance. Just maybe.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

uplandsandpiper

There might just be a reason behind Hobie's market dominance. Just maybe.

Their dominance comes from being the first to offer a pedal driven kayak. They make great boats but they are not perfect for everyone. Competition is good for them and for the kayak angling community.

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I like my Hobie's, own two, you can really tell there's is a premium feel to some of the materials/construction.  Things are overall thought out really well with how the boat is setup/configured.  That being said, the mirage drive was designed originally for touring if you look back at their original kayaks.  Its great for trolling and getting places, but hover fishing or  tucking in and out of coves for bass is not its best use.  Kind of sucks switching the reverse back and forth. I have broken multiple shifter cables and I dont really even bass fish THAT much.  Instant, touch free reverse would be really nice.    Also, it is ridiculous how long it took them to figure out a "kick up" fin.  The original MD180 design is pretty bad in that the weak link is within the spline, yet the spline is a single, non serviceable assembly.  I am going to guess the warranty department forced the design departments hand in figuring something out to keep from breaking so many splines.

I really wish companies would start focusing on how to make these boats lighter.  I feel like most have done the first, maybe second generation of figuring out how to make a pedal kayak, now they need to refine the designs and start to lighten them up. 

Saltycutt

• Herring
I agree Shin. Every time I discuss what I want in a kayak I get told by a Hobie fan why I should buy one because they're better.  It's exhausting.  Hobies are awesome and I would love to own a big PA14 or something someday, but I'm not dropping 4 to 5k for something I can't instant reverse in.  Even when I'm fly fishing the sound, I use reverse constantly. With bass is the same, I don't even think about it and back in and out of cover and docks. For me, that's really important.

Now as for weight? Yeah, it sucks. I think my WS Radar 135 is 90lbs or so, and the OTs are even heavier.  It's crazy. I like the idea of the lighter minimalist boats, but I really like carrying gear and electronics, not to mention the pedal drives. Hobie drives are so light, and that's awesome. My WS Helix is heavy like most drives. Need to add a light paddle boat for summer or something

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I also have to agree that my Hobie yaks are great at trolling and open water but they are not the best at stationary fishing working on shorelines when instant forward and reverse is needed.  I prefer my Bluesky 360 pedal/prop drive in those situations.  The 360 is a great inshore fishing unit especially for sight fishing but I wouldn't want it offshore.  There are always compromises when designing yaks.  As far as weight, most of my issue isn't the yak, its the crap I take with me.  Need to learn to evaluate my gear and reduce my stuff to the essentials I need for that day to reduce clutter and weight.........   
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Starting with a lighter weight hull helps though. no matter what you are going to add weight with all the junk we bring, but a lighter hull just makes it that much easier to transport and rooftop.   

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
Starting with a lighter weight hull helps though. no matter what you are going to add weight with all the junk we bring, but a lighter hull just makes it that much easier to transport and rooftop.

Very true.  At my age roof topping yaks is probably behind me.   
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Saltycutt

• Herring

That's for sure, plenty of mishaps while cartopping in a hurry, you realize how heavy they are when they start sliding on you!

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
Good luck in you search for a new yak.  Lots of great options out there.
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

uplandsandpiper

I agree Shin. Every time I discuss what I want in a kayak I get told by a Hobie fan why I should buy one because they're better.  It's exhausting.  Hobies are awesome and I would love to own a big PA14 or something someday, but I'm not dropping 4 to 5k for something I can't instant reverse in.  Even when I'm fly fishing the sound, I use reverse constantly. With bass is the same, I don't even think about it and back in and out of cover and docks. For me, that's really important.

Now as for weight? Yeah, it sucks. I think my WS Radar 135 is 90lbs or so, and the OTs are even heavier.  It's crazy. I like the idea of the lighter minimalist boats, but I really like carrying gear and electronics, not to mention the pedal drives. Hobie drives are so light, and that's awesome. My WS Helix is heavy like most drives. Need to add a light paddle boat for summer or something

Check out the Salty PDL from Old Town. Its lighter than your Radar, faster than a Hobie Revo 13, and you can stand in it (with some practice).