Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:58:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Hobie Cat Company Sold to Investment Firm  (Read 4699 times)

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
as seen on the Hobie.com forums:

https://paddlingmag.com/stories/news-events/hobie-sold-to-investment-group/

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.  On one hand, it seems good they acknowledge the production issues.  On the other hand, acquisitions like this seem to usually be more about the bottom line than improving the product.

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Thanks for sharing.
I wasn't aware of this. Let's indeed wait and see how this plays out.
Hopefully no long term issues.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Almost never turns out well for consumers.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Shin09

• Salmon
I was actually just reading about the Traeger acquisition from a few years back. While it was certainly a blow to the local economy since the Hawk moved away from here I would largely say the consumer overall has benefited.

Hope the same goes for Hobie. It seems like the sailing part of the business would be most likely to atrophy. The has been little product development on that side and the line continues to get cut.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
As far as I can tell, Maynards Industries is an AUCTION HOUSE.  Take it for what it's worth.

https://maynards.com/

That is the right Maynards, with the correct CEO:

https://www.bbb.org/us/mi/southfield/profile/auctioneer/maynards-industries-inc-0332-90011585
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 05:04:34 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
As far as I can tell, Maynards Industries is an AUCTION HOUSE.  Take it for what it's worth.

https://maynards.com/

That is the right Maynards, with the correct CEO:

https://www.bbb.org/us/mi/southfield/profile/auctioneer/maynards-industries-inc-0332-90011585

It didn’t sell to Maynards.  It sold to an investment group made up of Maynards senior management.  The auction business is good and they are diversifying.  Maybe they’ll buy a football team next?

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Not the point - and that's not how the buyout has been publicized, but okay, point taken.  Still, the senior management positions at Hobie - CEO, CFO, and COO - have been replaced by the executives of Maynards, and they have no background or experience in making anything.  They take things apart.  Not saying they'll do that to Hobie, but it wouldn't seem to be a match made in Heaven for Hobie.

I also wonder why Hobie, the market leader in watersports, felt a need to sell.

• Date Registered: Dec 2018
Not the point - and that's not how the buyout has been publicized, but okay, point taken.  Still, the senior management positions at Hobie - CEO, CFO, and COO - have been replaced by the executives of Maynards, and they have no background or experience in making anything.  They take things apart.  Not saying they'll do that to Hobie, but it wouldn't seem to be a match made in Heaven for Hobie.

If your primary business is paddlesports, 2020 was the year to sell... because kayaking companies have never been worth near what they were last year/this year, and the work load has simultaneously never been more difficult to navigate. Can’t say I blame them.
The leadership team that really gets shit done (Ruth & co) are still around. I don’t anticipate many changes. This is the second time that they’ve changed ownership during my time in the paddlesports industry, and if anything the last buyout led to a lot of drastic improvements.

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
  • A bad day of fishing is still better than a good d
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018

The founder died, and now is a good time to sell before the cheap brands under cut you.
US Army & Army National Guard Veteran of 34 years
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
The founder died, and now is a good time to sell before the cheap brands under cut you.

Uh, Hobie Alder passed away in 2014.

Squidder_K

• Rockfish

I know, but you know if he was alive it would of never been bought. 
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

ballardbrad

• Salmon
  • Kayak Fishing Washington
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010

Hobie Alter sold the company 7 years after founding it in 1975 to the Coleman Company. It's been sold to a couple private equity firms in the late 80's and mid 90's. The three new investors are dumping a load of cash into the business to increase production.  Business as usual.

Squidder_K

• Rockfish

Hobie Alter sold the company 7 years after founding it in 1975 to the Coleman Company. It's been sold to a couple private equity firms in the late 80's and mid 90's. The three new investors are dumping a load of cash into the business to increase production.  Business as usual.

Well maybe they can bring the cost down on the units. Seems the original peddle drive was $1899 or so, Which was high then, now it would be a bargin.
aka Kevin

Shin09

• Salmon
I mean....A passport 12 MSRP at 1699 and is arguably a superior boat in almost every way to the original mirage kayak.  Adjusted for inflation thats a deal

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
Agree, but they only came out with stripped down yaks because the rest of the world started making peddle drives.
aka Kevin