Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:43:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: An OMG Ocean Phenomena in AK  (Read 1807 times)

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Well I guess if you live long enough on this ever-changing planet you will see it all.

Can you believe WINTER SEA TEMPS in JULY? I have been monitoring Sea Surface Temps for the past few weeks because quite a few halibut anglers, both chartered and private, are not finding the typical numbers of bigger fish in the catch this summer. Teens and Twenties are prevalent. A 60# would be a high five at this time.

A few days ago I reviewed the SST NOAA chart and things were still cool in the western Gulf of Alaska but not untypical for the cold temps we had last winter. Fast forward 3 days and look at this chart. There has been a huge upwelling of 43°F water off of Kodiak Island and starting to circulate up into Cook Inlet.

Why is that strange?  43°F is what the ocean waters are in the middle of WINTER up here in that area. We should be bumping past 50°F right now for lower Cook Inlet.

I'm wondering if these unusually cold water temps have slowed the movement of larger halibut into our Cook Inlet and Kachemak Bay area. It will be interesting to follow this phenomena. On the far left is Bristol Bay showing a massive cold water lens too, right in the middle of their sockeye fishing season. Hmm?

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
It will be interesting to see how it plays out this summer.  Keep us posted on the "blob" and impact on fishing. 
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
NOAA provides SST anomaly analysis worldwide on the coastwatch website:  https://coastwatch.pfeg.noaa.gov/erddap/griddap/jplMURSST41anom1day.graph?sstAnom%5B(2021-06-26T09:00:00Z)%5D%5B(47.0):(89.0)%5D%5B(-179.99):(-123.0)%5D&.draw=surface&.vars=longitude%7Clatitude%7CsstAnom&.colorBar=%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C&.bgColor=0xffccccff

I prefer the jplMURSST41 datasets because of the high resolution.

All datasets: https://coastwatch.pfeg.noaa.gov/erddap/griddap/index.html?page=1&itemsPerPage=1000

Wow.  I need to learn how to use these sites.  I tried to zoom into Cook Inlet and "weird" stuff told me I don't have a clue!
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
I'm kinda partial to the ready-made maps since I tend to just follow the trends of change as a quick reference. Usually once summer arrives....about this time of the year....the SST data is not an issue impacting our fishing. But....Strange things going on this year. And it really wasn't a record-breaking cold winter by any means.

So this is what I reference. Love the contour map that shows Hawaii, West Coast and Alaska too.  Its a great reference for following the development of the El Niño progression that has occasionally decimated our salmon returns from impacts on food sources.

https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Products/ocean/sst/contour/

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I'm kinda partial to the ready-made maps since I tend to just follow the trends of change as a quick reference. Usually once summer arrives....about this time of the year....the SST data is not an issue impacting our fishing. But....Strange things going on this year. And it really wasn't a record-breaking cold winter by any means.

So this is what I reference. Love the contour map that shows Hawaii, West Coast and Alaska too.  Its a great reference for following the development of the El Niño progression that has occasionally decimated our salmon returns from impacts on food sources.

https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Products/ocean/sst/contour/

Yeah those are good, they're the same dataset with a contour dataset on top. I download the NetCDF files and run edge detection on the raw data to plot SST fronts trying to identify good places to fish for albacore. When you're looking at these temperatures for salmon, one of the most critical factors for survival is when they first out migrate which is usually in the spring. You can also look at the stoplight chart OSU puts out every year (https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/west-coast/science-data/ocean-ecosystem-indicators-pacific-salmon-marine-survival-northern). Subtract 3 years for Chinook, 2 for Coho etc. to figure out the ocean conditions when the current year returns first hit the salt.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
 :happy1:  almost as educational as the physics lesson on rod length, torque and torsion we had about a decade ago.

no disrespect guys, i'm learning...
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
:happy1:  almost as educational as the physics lesson on rod length, torque and torsion we had about a decade ago.

no disrespect guys, i'm learning...

Nature has as many variables to decipher and interpret as the OR, WA, and AK sport fishing regulations booklets!   :)

I just received confirmation Tuesday from the Kodiak ADFG biologist that their area is showing the same unusual composition of anglers' halibut harvest as here in Cook Inlet and Kachemak Bay.
"Kodiak Anglers report catching an increased number of smaller halibut (<20 lbs.) this season too."

Looks like we got another one for the books related to climate change.