Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:29:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:21:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Officially not a kayak angler yet….  (Read 5762 times)

pmanaz

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
I am making the jump from canoe fishing to kayak fishing.  I live up in Colville, WA and since it seems that most of the WA forum is almost all west of the big hill, I thought I would give you guys a shout.  So new to the kayak thing, that I don’t even have a boat yet. 

A good friend of mine is a NORCAL guy and got me out on a yak this past summer and that has got me hooked...well, that and when it is this freaking cold I can’t seem to get my wife / paddle partner to load up the canoe and get some fishing in.

I’m also looking for some additional advice on a boat.  I’ve been looking at a new or gently used OC trident 13, but would welcome some input.

Franklin

• Date Registered: May 2008
Welcome to the NWKA!!! You have found the right spot for all your kayak questions.
PADDLE TO THE PEOPLE!

Yakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Welcome Pmanaz-- there are a few other guys on the forum from the dry side of the state--so you aren't alone.

We say "Welcome to the Cure"

Your yak choice sort of depends on questions like what kind of fishing do you like; lake or stream, distance you'd paddle to get to the fishies, etc.

Best advice would be to try several different kinds, brands, lengths, etc.... and see what fits best.

Do research here and on the NorCal site..., and ask lots of questions-- the guys in this forum are very savvy and free with advice.

Good luck and I'll see you on the water,

Rob.
There is a thin line between hobby and insanity.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Great advice guys. Welcome pmanaz!!

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Howdy, pmanaz.

We're slowly building some more members on the the dryside. I'm 2-3 hours west of you on US 20.

pmanaz

• Herring
Thanks all.  What a great resource.

I'm 9 miles away from Lake Roosevelt and since it is free of ice and open to fishing year round I figured a yak is the perfect solution.  I've done a bit of canoe fishing, but a yak makes a lot more since for me right now.  I've paddled a OC prowler 13 in the Sierra for a weekend and loved that, but did not like the molded foot well and the lack of dry storage where you can get it, so I guess the trident has what I'm after.  I haven't paddled an OC trident, but from what I'm reading here and on the NORCAL site everyone seems to like them. 

I'll be primarily on the lake and occasionally on the Kettle River (slow current for the most part). 

The toughest time I'm having is finding anyone who sells OC boats in the Spokane, Cour Darlene area other than the big stores who don't do demos.  Any ideas?

Scott

• Lingcod
  • High Desert Fun
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
This is one cool site, good job.  I think you have the right idea already with how to choose your yak.  Just don't sell yourself short on what you choose.  Remember how much time you be riding on your kayak- and how that will determine the quality of the experience.  For me- having the ability to stow everything safely under the hatch is primo.  Think about getting your gear stowed, and retrieved when out on the water...

I'm still tweaking my ride, and that is pretty fun in itself.
-Scott

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Just don't sell yourself short on what you choose.  Remember how much time you be riding on your kayak- and how that will determine the quality of the experience. 

Good advice Scott. Like we all say "try a bunch out and figure out what works for you." :thumbsup:

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

pmanaz

• Herring
Thanks all...a buddy has a trident and I gave that a try yesterday.  It seemed similar to the prowler, but the dry storage and flat footwell seemed to work well for me. Didn't get to far out...30 something ambient temp with a set of waders and a semiarid top..didn't want to risk a swim.  So anyway, I decided to try and hunt down a place to get one.  I think he got rolled on his price, but at least he is on the water. 

I went on the main board to get some advice where to get one out here.

Thanks to all who responded.  Once I get a yak you guys should consider coming up to Lake Roosevelt for the spring walleye season.

Thanks again

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
 I've already been hearing incredible reports from Lake Roosevelt; wish it wasn't 2+ hours from here.

pmanaz

• Herring
It's worth the drive.  Summer weekend days can you can have portions of the lake all to yourself.  This past August when it got warm, I could be out on the main body of the lake and see a couple of boats all day.

Yeah, the fishing can be incredible up here.  I regularly pick up 16-18 inch bows and the stray walleye from the beach even when it is this cold out.  In the spring and fall the fishing really picks up...the summer is good if you can get out into the water and know where the structure is.  I did well in my canoe this past summer, but with a yak I could cover way more ground and troll the small inlets way better. 

goldendog

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Welcome to NWKA pmanaz!

I was just reading up on Lake Roosevelt, and it sounds like an awesome fishing lake. Pisco complained about it being 2 hours away, well I am over 9 hours away. Still, it could be an interesting road trip. I have never caught a Walleye, but love those Yellow Perch!  Maybe a trip up your way might be in my future.

I also read that Walleye can get up to 18 pounds! WOW!

Good luck on finding the perfect yak. You won't regret getting one!

Dave
Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
I've always wanted to fish Roosevelt.  What is a good time to come in the Spring? 

-Allen

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
NW Walleye forum has had some incredible reports already- http://www.northwestwalleye.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2384

3 guys, 51 fish, with a couple 7-7.5 lbs. :o

pmanaz

• Herring
The fishing really pics up in the spring.  I hope to have my yak by the end of next month, so I'd be up for trip in early April.  The water temps have been cold, but I've managed to pick up a few trout and walleye from the beach.  If I could get out on the water I know I could be doing a lot better. 

Speaking of uber cold water temps; I'm seriously considering a dry suit.  Any of you guys on the dry side use one?  Probably for a separate thread.

anything