Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:39:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:03:47 PM]

[Today at 06:04:24 PM]

by jed
[Today at 04:56:16 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 03:57:54 PM]

[Today at 09:43:36 AM]

[Today at 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Canned smoked chinook  (Read 3066 times)

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
This morning I decided that if my girlfriend can settle for me, I can settle for a 25" fish.

Interested in smoking and then canning it -- found this recipe online:
https://riptidefish.com/smoking-and-canning-chinook-salmon/

Anyone have opinions on canning smoked chinook, or on this recipe? If you have another recipe, would love to hear it.

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
This morning I decided that if my girlfriend can settle for me, I can settle for a 25" fish.

Anyone have opinions on canning smoked chinook, or on this recipe? If you have another recipe, would love to hear it.

My process is even easier than this recipe and I have been happy with the results.  I don’t brine mine.  I smoke them for 20 minutes then just place in the jar with 1 inch head space.  I add one teaspoon non iodized salt in each jar then process in the pressure canner. I don’t add any additional oil or liquid.  The jars will have lots of liquid when you are done processing them.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012

My process is even easier than this recipe and I have been happy with the results.  I don’t brine mine.  I smoke them for 20 minutes then just place in the jar with 1 inch head space.  I add one teaspoon non iodized salt in each jar then process in the pressure canner. I don’t add any additional oil or liquid.  The jars will have lots of liquid when you are done processing them.

I agree, keep it simple and the canning process will distribute/enhance the smoke flavor, so lightly smoked chunks is what you want going into the jars.
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I can part of my elk (my grandchildren's favorite) but never thought of canning salmon.  Thanks for the heads up and link!
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
I agree, keep it simple and the canning process will distribute/enhance the smoke flavor, so lightly smoked chunks is what you want going into the jars.

I gotta second that about go lightly on the smoking when canning salmon. It seems the canning process intensifies the smoke flavor and reaction with the meat. Some folks I know completely smoke their fish to the dry state, then can it in jars to preserve it for longtime storage. They found out it can get a bitter taste when they used too many pans of chips once it went through the canning process. Best to Vac Pack dry smoked salmon and freeze it. It will keep for years! I'm still nibbling on 2019 labels for snacks and salmon spread mix.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
While not a fishing topic, I find many people who have never heard of pressure canning meat.  I pressure can a large portion of my elk (when I get one) which has been a favorite of my kids and grandkids.  I have included a link below which includes instructions on how I can elk with the only change being I add cubes of beef suet (5% to 10% by volume) to the cold pack method which greatly enhances the flavor. 

https://www.meatsandsausages.com/meat-vegetables/canning/meat-jars
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

anything