Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:34:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Registering used kayaks  (Read 2076 times)

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Hey, been thinking about slapping a small outboard on one of my kayaks for a while now. The thing that's been holding me back is that I bought the kayak used and am not sure how I can register the kayak as a vessel.

Been poking around the internet and it looks like I need a 'Certificate of Manufacture', which seems to also be called a 'Certificate of Origin'. I have an email out to Hobie (who manufactured the used kayak I'm looking to outfit w/ an outboard) inquiring whether they'll issue a COM for my kayak, but figured I'd tap into the NWKA wealth of knowledge and see if any of you have confronted and overcome this issue.

Have been putting off a phone call to the WA DOL... Thinking this might be specialized knowledge given the runaround that they gave uplandsandpiper when he tried to register his kayak.

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Every state is different and each county can vary as far as how "picky" they are on documentation.  On a used PA14 I bought, I had a bill of sale which I figured would be enough. Went down to the county and they gave me a affidavit of vehicle ownership form that the previous owner had to fill out an notarize in order to get a "title" and be able to license the kayak.  Took me about six months to get it done.   :P

Again, every state is different.  Your state/county might be easier........... 
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Cocopufft

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
The best advice is to go in with a bill of sale (if possible), and be honest. A lot will depend on who you talk to, each clerk seems to interpret the laws differently. There should be a hull identification number (HIN) somewhere on your kayaks that they'll run through the system. If it's never been registered before (likely), you should be good.

If you moved from a place that doesn't title kayaks, that should work too. I was able to get a canoe tagged in TN pretty easily with a bill of sale and hull number. Just remember to be polite, and get them the paperwork they ask for. There's always a process and form if something is missing ☺️

Cocopufft

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
Also depending on where you're planning on using it, you might not need to register at all. Boats that are used on non federal waters under 10 hp don't need to be registered in Washington provided they're not in federal waters from my understanding.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Every state is different and each county can vary as far as how "picky" they are on documentation....

Thanks YakHunter. Sounds like your locality is on one of the extreme ends of documentation requirements; I'd be SOL if if WA required what was required of you. Your post reminded me that one of my family members considered registering a motorcycle in a less strict state when he bought a bike w/o a title.

The best advice is to go in with a bill of sale (if possible), and be honest. A lot will depend on who you talk to, each clerk seems to interpret the laws differently. There should be a hull identification number (HIN) somewhere on your kayaks that they'll run through the system. If it's never been registered before (likely), you should be good.

If you moved from a place that doesn't title kayaks, that should work too. I was able to get a canoe tagged in TN pretty easily with a bill of sale and hull number. Just remember to be polite, and get them the paperwork they ask for. There's always a process and form if something is missing ☺️

Thanks Cocopufft - this sounds supremely relevant to my situation. I don't think my boat was ever registered as there's no evidence of stickers on the hull... I'll give the DOL a call this morning. I didn't think to get a bill of sale, so we'll see what happens. I'm thinking I might have to get a provisional 3 year title.... Will report back. Thanks again :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 09:04:03 AM by bogueYaker »

rbae

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
If your kayak is less than 16' long and your outboard is under 10hp, you should be good to forego registration in WA unless you plan to be in the Columbia River or offshore.  https://parks.state.wa.us/461/Boat-registration

Let us know what you find out after talking to them.