Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:01:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Garibaldi Mon 4th  (Read 3359 times)

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Was thinking of dropping my trap and trolling the Ghost Hole, high tide is around noon, so no need for a super early start. Anyone else care to join?
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Would love to join but that damn work crap keeps screwing up my fishing. Going to hit the Columbia in the am for the first shakedown trip with the new Kayak. Launching at Austin point and praying for no wind.

Looking forward to your report. Mid Oct is go time in Tillamook. I lived there for five years and if there is not a complete blow out rain this is a great time to fish there.
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

SD2OR

• Salmon
Sweet, I hope you're right!
I'll be sure to give a full report!
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022

SD2OR

• Salmon
Conditions not looking so good tomorrow in Tilly.
Anyone fishing someplace else, that doesn't have 8' swells forecast?
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022

LawyerBob

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Just a quick update, I believe we're now planning to launch at the Wheeler public launch (right beside "The Salmonberry") then troll upriver a short ways from there.

~ 8 AM

LawyerBob

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Saw a whole mess of fish out there today. Loads of jumpers. A fair number of fish caught. Several furbags chasing fish about.

Nice day on the water, but trolling various 3.5 spinners didn’t get it done for me. Caught the usual insane number of weeds though.

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Any updates from the coast? I hit Austin Pt Sunday with the new boat. Pretty slow all around for the 100 boats and a decent amount of guides there. Managed to hook a very nice Chinook after 4 hours. Big and bright. Got it to the boat and lost it at the net. A very long string of loud expletives followed.

Making weekend plans and looking from the mouth of the Klickitat to the coast. Praying the ocean settles down before all the salmon are in the rivers.

- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

SD2OR

• Salmon
It was a bit of an aggravating day. Had originally planned to crab and troll the ghost hole, but NOAA said there were to be big swells. As I passed by the bay, on my way to Nehalem, the water was as flat as a sheet of glass, and I hear the fishing was great.

I thought, oh well, should be good fishing in Nehalem too. And it was for most, it seemed...
However, being the genious that I am, I forgot the drives for my Outback, and the one I was loaning Bob, and both of us have a bad shoulder currently. Well, nothing to do but paddle!
And I am very out of practice at that, spoiled from years of Hobie ownership.

So, I quickly realized that my rod holder and fish finder were in about the worst possible places for paddling, took a while to get them in a functional arrangement. Saw people catching from the start, and all day long. Looked like most were using 360s, not sure what they had behind em. Another kayaker was doing well, just casting spinners, caught steelhead as well as salmon.

I tried trolling a spinner with no weight or flasher, cause it was quite shallow and there were jumpers everywhere. No luck. Tried with triangle and 360 flashers and spinner, no love except weeds. I was tiring quite quickly, as was Bob. He called it a day after a few hours, had family stuff to do. I took a break, then kept at it, but the wind had come up, making things even more difficult, between the current, wind, drag of my gear, and poor paddling ability, it was almost impossible to track straight. I tied up to a piling, and tried casting spinners a while, but hadn't brought a real casting rod, so couldn't get it out very far. Finally gave up around 3, without a bite the whole day.

I parked my boat on the ramp, and just after, a guy in a powerboat parked at the dock, and could see me full well. I fetched my wheels from my truck, a few yards away, and started to return to my yak, as the powerboater started to back down the ramp. I was way off to the side, he had plenty of room. He saw me, and stopped for a minute, I proceeded to install my wheels, and just about the time I got them plugged in, he started backing down, FAST, and right at me.
I had to shove my yak and dive out of the way, all in one movement, getting soaked head to toe, as I'd already removed my dry suit. I was already tired and frustrated from getting skunked and having many tangles and equipment trouble. The guy got out and said "I didn't mean to crowd ya, heh heh!" I just walked away, dripping. Had I engaged with him, it likely would have lead to violence, in my current state of mood.

So, coulda shoulda woulda been a nice and productive day, but alas, circumstance and my terrible memory conspired against us.   
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022

Wilyakfish

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
No point in venting if no one's listening, so wanted to let you know I read this whole thing. Yeah. Frustrating day. Good on you for not loosening that guys teeth.
On another note, how do you read Friday's PC forecast. It looks pretty good to me based on primary swell and wind, but am not certain how that secondary swell will affect conditions. Am I missing something?

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Interesting how some people will be total douchenozzles at a ramp where they are fixing to leave their truck and trailer unattended for the next 4 hours.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

BigFishy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2020
No point in venting if no one's listening, so wanted to let you know I read this whole thing. Yeah. Frustrating day. Good on you for not loosening that guys teeth.
On another note, how do you read Friday's PC forecast. It looks pretty good to me based on primary swell and wind, but am not certain how that secondary swell will affect conditions. Am I missing something?

The Friday forecast for PC looks really good to me (unless I am missing something) so I do plan on going. Is there still salmon out there or should I focus on rock fishing? I am lost with all the regulations/closures/reached quotas.
2021 Hobie Outback

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
You have until Oct 31 to fish for Chinook.
Cape Falcon to Humbug Mountain, so PC you're good to go.
Coho is closed.
The swell period and height look good.
The ESE wind may make things less fun if it comes up more than the forecast.
Tight lines.

Wilyakfish

• Perch
I am in the same boat. I was planning on bottom fishing, but it seems salmon fishing is still on. Barbless and fin clipped only. But I'm unsure myself.
Someone help us out please. We are but mere herring.
Lingcod and Sturgeon members help us out with PC conditions Friday and salmon regs clarification.
Respectfully submitted,
Baitfish.

Wilyakfish

• Perch

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
ODFW probably has a phone line or email addy y'all could hit up.... I'd know it if I lived down in OR.

Prolly a good place to start: https://www.dfw.state.or.us/agency/directory/fish_division.asp

Good luck... Honest feedback, this is kinda fishing 101.