Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:10:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Kayak trailer for Compass  (Read 3586 times)

MakoMark

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2022
I'm reworking this old shorelander trailer for my new compass.  Any comments, ideas, or tricks are welcome.  Trailer had some rust that I  wire wheeled, plan to paint with por15.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Be sure to grease and tighten the wheels bearings!!!

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

MakoMark

• Herring
Thanks MOJO,  I sold ez loader and pacific trailers. Seams like I spend more time working on the 20ft boat trailer then the time I  get to fish.  So I  know about trailers,  what I  don't  know is the kayak part.  My Hobie dealer  suggested the 3" triple wall tubing at 12 in center (same as scuppers). May add some small side guides, pvc and noodle or wood and carpet?  The other is some kind of boxes, may be a diamond plate on the toung and something long and flat for 6 eight foot rods. Any ideas on boxes?  I now have a large roller to mount at the tail end to roll up on and protect the bow. I'm thinking marine carpet for the wood?

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I've seen some slick rod storage tubes done with the doors they use to store their hoses on fuel delivery tanker trailers . Pretty good solution if you don't have a lot of real estate to work with.

https://www.ustubedoors.com/tube-door-kits.html

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I've seen some slick rod storage tubes done with the doors they use to store their hoses on fuel delivery tanker trailers . Pretty good solution if you don't have a lot of real estate to work with.

https://www.ustubedoors.com/tube-door-kits.html

I have a set of these.  Well worth having for storage (keeps my rods from being crushed.  Plus, they are lockable.  There are options to mount trailer storage boxes (I have one on my trailer) which are great for miscellaneous gear.  On my multi-kayak trailer I transport the upper level kayaks upside down on 2x6 and 2x4 carpet covered cross beams which protect the kayaks and provides some traction when strapping down.     
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 06:16:44 AM by YakHunter »
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

MakoMark

• Herring
Had some warm weather, made some progress on the kayak trailer.

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
If you happen to have a utility trailer, I managed to use mine as a double kayak trailer that is easy to remove and still have the utility trailer.
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

MakoMark

• Herring
Need a strap and a few bolts,  reworking lights. Phase 1 complete.  Boxes and rod storage next.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 01:47:04 AM by Ling Banger »

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I have used 6" pipe as a rod carrier. A word of caution: your rods will abrade against the tube and the gloss coat/varnish will wear down. So either put the rods in just for the trip and store them out of the tubes between trips, or do as I do and make sure the rods you leave in them full time "just in case I find myself in a fishing opportunity" are inexpensive and not your $400 prized rods. I keep a surf rod and a trout/bass rod in it.

My 2 kayak trailer uses the 3" pipe as bunks, built on a jetski trailer. It works great on the ramp - float on/float off.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Need a strap and a few bolts,  reworking lights. Phase 1 complete.  Boxes and rod storage next.

Looking good!
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

MakoMark

• Herring
I have used pvc pipe on a few Baja trips.  We flew to Cabo rented a vw rabit, put the tube inside, my friend closes the rear hatch and punched out the front windshield.
The reason I  don't t want  pipe is I don't want to remove the reels.  May just put a rack inside the truck camper roof. Still want a box on the tongue for dry suite, pfd, ect.
Sold many small aluminum boats, attach at bow and one gator tuff strap across the back.  Only had one guy want two straps, never lost a boat.

skayaker2

• Rockfish
  • Since 2010. Formerly known as "skayaker"
  • TAFKAS (The Angler Formerly Known As Skayaker)
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Looking good. Just my 2 cents, but I agree that I would use two straps if it were my kayak and kayak trailer. If I understand correctly from the pictures, it seems you have a single anchor point at the bow, which is essentially the winch. Trailers I have for powerboats use the winch anchor point but also have a chain in case of winch/strap failure. I don't know the compass well, nor how strong/durable the bow eyelet is (is it plastic?), but if you rely only on that anchor point at the bow and either the eyelet, line (seems you have a section of chord after the wind strap?), or winch fails you may end up with a T-boned kayak depending on much wind buffeting you may have for example on a highway. Having two straps, either bracketing the cockpit, or one behind the seat and the second one by the trailer support closer to the kayak bow will make me feel safer and have some redundancy if it were my project. Good luck finishing it!

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
I have used 6" pipe as a rod carrier. A word of caution: your rods will abrade against the tube and the gloss coat/varnish will wear down.

I never thought about that. Seems like you could line the pipe with something less abrasive.

I have a version of the Contico box on our first HOW trailer build and it has held up surprisingly well. It's no head turner, but it would save you some weight and cash over a diamond plate type box.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Contico-Portable-Tool-Box-37-W-x-21-D-x-20-H-3725/19514860

MakoMark

• Herring
Thanks skayaker2,
  I do have a new bow eye on order to mount below the roller and a separate safety chain. The loop is a temp. to go to a local lake.  Good catch.

anything