Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:08:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Install of Surf to Summit seat in older Hobie Outback  (Read 2610 times)

BugBoy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Dec 2009
Hey all,
I received a Surf to Summit Expidition seat as a gift and now I am getting ready to install it in my 2012 Outback. The seat has 4 tiedowns and no pegs (like the old seat).  I am wondering who has installed this seat in an outback and wonder where the back attachment points are located?  It seems like they could be placed in several locations: right behind the seat, on the outside near the rod holders, or right in the cargo area. Just want to find the best location, to avoid putting additional holes in my boat when attaching the pad eyes.
I want ot be sure that the rearward attachments dont get in the way of my milkcrate and wheel storage.
Thanks for any advice!!

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Have you gotten an answer yet ??

If not, search the forum for a thread called Drillin' and Cuttin . That's our repository for most modifications to our yaks., You'll find seat installations,  wiring how to's, adding a,compass , etc.

Not being familiar with your make of boat, what I'd suggest is to put it where you're gonna site it, then start looking for tie down points., you might end up buying a few new pad eyes and rivets and rivet gun , or well nuts, etc. Don't let fear of modifying that big chunk of plastic get in your way..
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Is there space on the S2S seat to put the plugs?
I replaced the seat on my 2103 Outback with a Vanhunks seat last week.
1/2 tubing spun in the dewalt cuts through the nylon cleanly.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Back in the dizzay before the great lawn chair revolution of 2015 when a lot of people with OK, WS and Hobies were swapping out their stock seats for additional comfort and support there was a sizable contingent (myself included) that felt the StS Expedition padding was too thick and raised your CoG too high causing instability on choppy waters. They are really great seats constructed very well with quality materials. I still use the Elite model on my Cobra FnD for bay crabbing. YMMV.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

BugBoy

• Rockfish
I went ahead with the installed the STS Expedition seat this weekend. With the wonderful weather I was able to pull the kayak out into the yard and find out where the rear attachment points (pad eyes) should go.  Ended putting them on the inside of the cargo area, just below the cart wheels. Here are a few pictures of the install.  Now I just have to figure out what to do with the long straps!! ;)
Thanks for the suggestions!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 08:42:48 AM by BugBoy »

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
You could put a QR buckle on those straps and mount a nice pouch back there. Good place for some first aid items or spare radio. Nice clean install, good job.
https://www.seallinegear.com/packs-duffels/seal-pak-hip-pack/seal-pak.html

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
You did it right.  :headbang:

I did this same thing in two Revos and an Addy hull.

Works perfectly.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

BugBoy

• Rockfish
Thanks for the Insayn seal of approval!! ;D
Went out yesterday for a couple of hours and the new seat was very comfy and did not move around at all!  Why did I wait so long to make the change?

anything