Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:31:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Time to pull the drysuit trigger...  (Read 2529 times)

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I bought a "used" drysuit a couple of years ago from a company/business that shall go unnamed (I am discreet like that), and even though it didn't have any visible holes in it, when I put it on and jumped in the Columbia, I feel I would have gotten better protection from the elements (i.e. - water) wearing a metal cheese grater.

I continued wearing my waterproof fishing waders and kayak top in the years since just to fill the gap between saving up enough money to purchase a real drysuit. I also took Ms. Salma (my kayak) out with my training wheels (Hobie Sidekicks) to be especially careful when out in the Big Blue even before that point and ever since. Love those things! Won't stop fishing with them...

Well, I now have the cashola (does anyone still accept that?) to purchase a new drysuit outright. I've looked at the Deep Six models, the Kokatats, the Mooktas, the NRS, Stohlquist, etc., etc... I am 5'6" (5'8" on a sunny day) and weigh approximately 175 pounds. I am a little broader in the shoulders and when I get waders I usually try to get the "Medium Stout" size.

So, the question is, WHAT DO I GET? What do you have? What do you suggest? I get out in the Columbia and the ocean at least a dozen times a year and am looking to get out a lot more often now that retirement is around the corner (Currently Level 54 in above average physical shape). I hear about the Kokatat warranty, the durability of Level Six suits, the affordability of others. I don't want to break the bank (read- >$1,200), but I want something that I'm not going to have to worry about being waterproof every time I put it on. Looking to buy new and not "used".

Anywho, thank you for any suggestions and advice you can give.

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I am going to be monitoring this pretty close. Almost in the same exactly situation. OK, I am a little taller and a small amount(OK, fair amount) heavier.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I bought a Kokat Idol a few years back, mainly because my first one was a conventional setup. One piece with the over-the-shoulder zipper. Bad shoulders and crap flexibility made the process a big PITA. The Idol is a two-piece suit with the zipper around the waist. Can use the top or bottom separately and way better than a small relief zipper when that time comes. I have been very happy to date
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

Oldhammer

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2021
I can’t speak to any other brand or model than the level six cronos.  It is my first and only dry suit.   It’s comfortable, easy on and off (as long as you don’t have a stiff neck), and I love the relief zipper.  I took a 15-20 minute involuntary plunge into Siltcoos Lake in December and emerged bone dry from neck to ankle.  (Wool cap helped with the head). Outside temp was high 40s and water temp was 51.  I’ve only had it a year but at $700 and one swim it was worth every penny!

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
My first drysuit was a Kokatat Hydrus 3L. Good suit, got a lot of use over many years. A few years ago, I upgraded to the Kokatat SuperNova Gore-Tex suit. The SuperNova is superior to the Hydrus: lighter weight, more breathable. Worth the extra money IMO. Both suits get the job done in keeping you dry...just expect to sweat a bit more in the Hydrus during hot weather. Both the Hydrus and SuperNova have a reinforced layer on the front legs/thighs, helps to deflect sharp rockfish spines and fish hooks from puncturing the suit.

Both of these semi-dry suits are size Large, and fit great with some room for layering underneath. 6', 185 lbs. Given your height, you may want to go for a size Medium.
aMayesing Bros.

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
A few things I wish i would have considered when buying my suit:

- Try sitting down in it and reaching forward (like if you were in the kayak and needed to get to your front hatch).  I only tried my suit on standing up and it fit fine there, but after i sit down, the length isnt in the right spots and it is more restricting and uncomfortable than I would like when I am out on the boat.  Mainly it mashes my nuts since the torso is too short which doesn't feel good. 

- Usually you wear your suit in the winter when its not only cold, but its also raining.  Very few suits come with hoods which is kind of baffling to me.  The ones that do tend to be the high end suits that are $$$$$. To add on to that, there are not many water proof hats out there.  In the winter if its really raining i will end up throwing a light shell jacked over my dry suit so I have a water proof hood which is kind of annoying.    The Stohlquist Shift was one of the few that was reasonably priced and also had a hood.  Near as I can tell, Stohlquist is out of the drysuit game, but a Spiltmilt did a video last year on dry suits and it appears someone else is marketing the suit under a different brand (no idea if stohlquist was the originator or if the other company sold generic suits and stohlquist put their name on it?)

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I currently have a NRS, that I bought used on ebay, but in like new condition. Was $200. After almost two years n much use, it still works great, keeps me dry. It is comfy and convenient.
The very first suit I had, was also purchased on ebay used, for a mere $100. Worked great, except that I quickly realized, I really needed a relief zipper, which it did not have. The entry zipper was on the back, so it also prevented me from injecting insulin while on the water, whithout a major hassle.

My current one is a lil big, but that doesn't create any problems for me. I can wear layers underneath comfortably and I assume it holds more air, keeping me even more bouyant, should I find myself in the water.

So yeah, for sure get one with a relief zipper, and bigger is better than smaller.
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
About sizing: if you go to the Kokatat website and navigate into their custom shop, then pick a model close to what you think you'd like and go through their sizing questionnaire, you'll get a great result and can apply it to any off-the-rack Kokatat dry suit - even the Hydrus 3l.

I did that when I bought mine (the closest shop selling dry suits was six hours away up in the Portland region) and the fit was spot on.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
My first drysuit was a Kokatat Hydrus 3L. Good suit, got a lot of use over many years. A few years ago, I upgraded to the Kokatat SuperNova Gore-Tex suit. The SuperNova is superior to the Hydrus: lighter weight, more breathable. Worth the extra money IMO. Both suits get the job done in keeping you dry...just expect to sweat a bit more in the Hydrus during hot weather. Both the Hydrus and SuperNova have a reinforced layer on the front legs/thighs, helps to deflect sharp rockfish spines and fish hooks from puncturing the suit.

Both of these semi-dry suits are size Large, and fit great with some room for layering underneath. 6', 185 lbs. Given your height, you may want to go for a size Medium.

My drysuit experience almost identical to Clayman except my first was a Supernova Hydrus 3L, then SuperNova Gore-Tex.  Both great, no punctures, the Gore-Tex one is not too hot even on sunny ocean days but plenty warm on freezing days with heavier base layers.  6' 180# Kokatat Large is perfect size, plenty of room for inner layers.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 08:34:52 AM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I've got a Kokatat Gore-tex model that I believe is discontinued now, but am super happy with it. I have used a buddy's Hydrus model and didn't find it to be quite as breathable as the Gore-tex but YMMV on that front. My continual struggle is dressing warm enough for any potential immersion while also not dying of heat exhaustion on the warmer days, ultimately I end up chugging my first 32oz Gatorade earlier in the morning and using it as a container to collect water and douche myself with it, works pretty well overall and better than the alternative of possible hypothermia.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I have my eye on the Level Six Emperor drysuit as a replacement for my Kokatat.  I want one that is a little more heavy duty and the river kayaker reviews seem to indicate it holds up very well for their "active" use.   
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
You fishing or running rapids?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I'm still on my first Kokatat Hydrus angler suit, I think 6 years now? It's been great, no complaints, but my next suit will be GoreTex, budget allowing.

My #1 piece of advice: Immediately disregard any suit that doesn't have a relief zipper.

BigFishy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2020
My #1 piece of advice: Immediately disregard any suit that doesn't have a relief zipper.

I use a wetsuit and on a first outing with Mojo to Garibaldi I quickly realized I need a RELIEF ZIPPER! Since I didn't have budget for a proper drysuit I used some creativity. Went to Next Adventure and bought a used wetsuit for $40. Removed heavy duty rear entry zipper from it and glued it to the appropriate area on my new wetsuit. Then cut an opening. This was  a good cheap solution that still pays its dividents everytime I am out 😀
2021 Hobie Outback

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
An aside, but I wish that my relief zipper was situated more down between the legs, kinda like zippers on conventional pants... would be a lot easier to take a whiz on the water if it were down there.

As it is now I have to do some serious finagling to avoid pissing all over myself while on the water.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 09:01:14 AM by bogueYaker »