Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:13:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: AOTD 2022  (Read 5311 times)

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
There will be a tournament representative at the launch early in the morning that can take care of you or any other last minute arrivals. There may not be a captains bag for you if you havent paid the entry,as they are for the first 50 paid. You can pay in advance via paypal per the instructions.
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I paid my entry weeks ago, was just worried about the captains meeting  Fri. Thanks for the info! I think I'm one of eight people in the whole world, who isn't on Facebook,  lol!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 09:34:16 AM by SD2OR »
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
How many people have entered? Are you up to 50? I am still in debate about going.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
We are sitting right around a dozen paid as of today. That is actually par for the course from previous years. A lot of folks wait until the last minute and/or are  on the fence just like you. Some aren't comfortable with Paypal and for many other reasons. But we see the majority of registrations come in within the last week, or pay at the captains meeting on Friday.
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
No offense, but it would be better if you used the existing AOTD Facebook page and stopped burying the information in a private group's page, don't you think?  Not all of us are eager to join (and wait to be admitted-to) a distant group that has little to do with NWKA just to find the information we need about one of our events.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
The wife and I will be checking in in the morning again. Hoping for a nice flat ocean for once!

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
No offense, but it would be better if you used the existing AOTD Facebook page and stopped burying the information in a private group's page, don't you think?  Not all of us are eager to join (and wait to be admitted-to) a distant group that has little to do with NWKA just to find the information we need about one of our events.
That's okay, no offense taken. The Sunset Bay AOTD has never been a formal NWKA event. The AOTD organizers are long time NWKA members, so we post stuff & answer questions here as a courtesy to other NWKA members. It isn't that difficult to join the Coos Kayak Fishing FB group & wait times are usually short if one answers the membership questions & agrees to the rules. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cooskayakfishing is a private group to control spam & online trolling (not my decision, but still not a bad one).
The event is currently limited to 50 contestants.
I've been posting most of the FB stuff, but don't have admin rights to the FB AOTD page, so I use the tools I have. I don't make all the decisions, but I'd personally welcome help contributing to the event. Members can also feel free to send me a pm with questions, suggestions or any advice they may have about the event. I'll do my best to answer promptly.

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
Steve Hatler has reserved the group site at Bastendorff campground, [County Park, https://www.co.coos.or.us/parksrec/page/bastendorff]. Let Steve know if you're interested in camping. Arriving Thursday, Aug. 25th and leaving Sunday the 28th. Maybe Wednesday night if at least 10 commit to a campsite. 26 people say they're going so far. About half that have paid registration fees.
The launch site is at Sunset Bay State Park. The fishing area is from Baltimore Rock to the north down to the south end of Simpson Reef. The tournament starts at first light and the weigh in ends at 2:00 pm. Anyone not in line by 2 will be disqualified.
This is a point based competition with points per inch values assigned to all the species available to catch on the fishing grounds. The Angler with the most points wins! This competition will test your skill as an angler as you have to target different species with different techniques to be successful.
Point system:
Chinook 4 points
Coho 5 points
Greenling 10 points
Halibut 4 points (https://bit.ly/3QtKmum)
Other Flatfish 8 points
Lingcod 5 points
Rockfish 8 points
Perch 12 points
Cabezon 8 points (retention of cabezon may be closed, regulations TBA https://bit.ly/3p56O1o)
If you haven't fished Sunset Bay area before, fish with a buddy - find an experienced person with a radio and ask them to help you out and keep an eye on you.
Aside from an occasional hoolie, we have a perfect safety record and want to keep it that way. Proper immersion gear and flying a safety flag are mandatory. If you show up in street clothes you will be disqualified.

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
Erik Schmidt (browneyesvictim) will be handling the registration again this year. Please send your $35 entry fee via his PayPal account to: browneyesvictim@yahoo.com.
Use the friends and family (gift) option otherwise a fee will be assessed and your entry fee will not be paid in full.
I'm pretty sure you'll need a PayPal account.

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
Head Chef Dana Hilden (yaksurf) could use some help with the potluck set-up, food prep, cooking & cleanup on Saturday. Please contact Dana if you want to help out.
Fish tacos this year, so plan your potluck dish accordingly - tortillas, salsa, salads, coleslaw, lemons & limes, desserts, drinks or whatever your specialty may be. Donating clean, fresh fish fillets for the food prep is also welcome. I'll bring some of my homemade salsa verde &, hopefully, some garden fresh heirloom tomatoes.
Guess I'll start a food thread.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Back to Facebook.  I'm sorry, Paul, but I don't want to (a) join Facebook, or (b) register in a private group to learn about AOTD.  Facebook is being abandoned by whole herds of folks for many good, thoughtful reasons so it's probably not the best place to post useful information these days.

I appreciate the time you spent posting the most important information here.  Thank you.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Back to Facebook.  I'm sorry, Paul, but I don't want to (a) join Facebook, or (b) register in a private group to learn about AOTD.  Facebook is being abandoned by whole herds of folks for many good, thoughtful reasons so it's probably not the best place to post useful information these days.

I appreciate the time you spent posting the most important information here.  Thank you.

I think you could say the same for just about any online platform these days, I appreciate the sentiment and would concur Facebook is certainly not ideal, at this point mine solely exists for fishing groups that I like to keep tabs on.

That being said, you can't do everything, everywhere for everyone all the time.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Thanks Paul and Erik and Dana and everyone else for keeping this great time alive. Not only is this my favorite trip of the year each year, but I've grown to really love the Southern Oregon coast and all it has to offer. See you all soon!

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page

I think you could say the same for just about any online platform these days, I appreciate the sentiment and would concur Facebook is certainly not ideal, at this point mine solely exists for fishing groups that I like to keep tabs on.

That being said, you can't do everything, everywhere for everyone all the time.

Thanks Matt - my sentiments exactly.
- Paul

anything