Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:10:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Hello from West Seattle;e  (Read 1198 times)

SeattleBiggy

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jul 2022
Hey All, Been "trying" to fish off a standard Ocean Kayak to no avail.  Picking up an Outback today with FF, downrigger, and more.  Super excited.  I am fairly new to salmon fishing solo (always had an expert along).  I'm sure there is a lot to learn.  I can get to a few spots in zones 10/11 right near my house. We are down near Lincoln Park.  Curious about a good first adventure on the kayak?  Good spots to fish near me in general?  Looking forward to learning from all of the experts on here!

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Welcome! An OK Malibu 2XL was my first fishing platform - loved its surfability, didn't like how well it caught wind.

If I were you I'd read up on whatever species you're trying to target, figure out where they tend to congregate & at what times of the tide they're most hungry. Then, use tidal charts & navionics (https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@11&key=uqwaHzo%7DiV) to plan outings that best align with what you've learned about your target species. Happy hunting!

Pixster

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
I think I saw your Outback package at OE on Sunday. Lmk if you're that customer.

You should fish Lincoln Park for kings. Launch out of Lowman Beach Park and head towards the point. There's a shelf/drop-off fairly close to shore on the N/NE side. Jig, mooch, or troll along that shelf.

SeattleBiggy

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jul 2022
Yup...that is my Kayak at OE.  Going to pick it up this evening.  I can almost walk to Lowman, so I may head there this evening and make my maiden voyage.  Curious where zone 10 becomes zone 11 as I think zone 11 has day of week fishing restrictions, whereas zone 10 does note.  I know it is the north point of Vashon, but where does that correspond on the east side?   South of ferry terminal I think..  Thanks all!

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I live in your ‘hood, used to live across the street from Lincoln. Fished it for years in an Ocean Kayak type rig (a Cobra) first with mooching leads to troll then a Scotty Laketroller DR with an 8# ball, finally got a Hobie and a FF a few years ago and that made thngs a good bit easier, though I was pretty productive with the scrappy approach too.

Great time to get started. Lincoln is great, last year going R/North out from Lowman was also really good for chinook. Same 90-120’ contours, but shallower was also good. People mainly fish N of Colman Point, and just South of Lowman the contour turns West and you can fish the whole area. If you go pre-dawn make sure to have a light, PB’s can come ripping into there. Bring a jigging or mooching setup as well as trolling, as seaweed can get thick sometimes. The shore fisherman get protective of the point so try to stay outside of their casting range. Watch what the PB’s do, you’ll probably be trolling the same lines. But get dialed in before you slot in on a busy day, people can be testy.

Alki point can be good for coho and has some chinook zones. Another cool mini adventure is rolling your kayak onto the ferry and fishing Dolphin or Southworth, or going from either across to Blake (or paddle from Lowman to Blake). No reservations needed to roll on and it used to be $8 for the kayak fare. For Vashon there is a ramp immediately S of the ferry dock (it’s part of the structure and seawall), Southworth you can launch on beach on the N side of the dock.

To your 10/11 question, that’s always a good one. Rules and regs says “approx 600 yds S of Brace Point”. I usually use the N end of the apartment building there as the line.

Three Tree Point has a cool mini
launch too, and is well suited for kayaks.

I started out in Lincoln Park primarily as it was so close. It’s a great place to get dialed in, and you can catch some great fish there. I have seen it be slow in some years so it’s not a given, but it’s small enough to be manageable and you can apply what you learn there farther afield. Feel free to hit me up on PM’s. I am often in a PB these days but will be out early mornings a good bit in the coming weeks, though I fish N a good bit a well.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 04:03:56 AM by Dawn Patrol »

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Welcome to the NWKA Seattle Biggy.  Good luck with your new Outback!
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
And what, you blame the kayak?

[SIGH]

Welcome to the forum.  Test the new boat in calm water and learn the point at which it tips over as part of a self-rescue drill, and then learn how much effort it requires to put it upright again and for you to climb back in.  There's nothing more important to know about your kayak than that.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

anything