Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:27:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Siltcoos/Tahk/10mile lakes coho thread  (Read 9554 times)

Wilyakfish

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Pretty certain we're only allowed one coho a day down there, doesn't matter if it's a different lake.
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

tjpeck

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2021
Thanks SD2OR, looks like you are correct. The “wild coho aggregate bag limit” reads to be for the NW zone and above any particular water body direction or exemption.
Not sure what I was thinking.

Tom

SD2OR

• Salmon
Sure thing! Better to hear it from me than a sheriff!
I thought about lake hopping too, before I was informed of the rules.
Just gotta camp down there, and hit it a couple days, make the drive more worth it.
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Thanks SD2OR, looks like you are correct. The “wild coho aggregate bag limit” reads to be for the NW zone and above any particular water body direction or exemption.
Not sure what I was thinking.

Tom

outstanding hen!  and that's an easy regs detail to miss, I can confirm the Mallard arm was very very slow today. mostly. lol

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Larry_MayII_HR

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
I can also confirm it was slow - i never saw or marked a salmon, but I did catch a cutie, rainbow, and bonus bass. I froze my butt off, but it was still fun, plus I got to meet Roger and Pepper. Looking forward to going back in the spring to catch bass.

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I took 2 friends down to Tak today. Beautiful scenery. Fairly. Hilly in the fairly constant rain. One friend caught one trout. Good to meet Roger and Pepper. Saw a number of otters. Pretty cute!
No need to clean any smelly fish today.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Mzungu19

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
Seems I could just cut and paste somebody else’s report from Tahk yesterday :). Cold, rainy, no salmon, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Caught one Crappie and cutthroat. Neither was much bigger than the plug I was using. Oh, and a handful of Chanterelles while up in the woods taking care of some business. Good to fish alongside others with the same passion. See you out there!

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
We left early (Pepper got cold) and I was really hoping, because it has happened to me on the lakes several times, that a pod of coho would move in for an afternoon of fun for everyone still out there. Really cool to see so many kayakers out enjoying the lake.

Full disclosure on my fish- I was short trolling a spinner in the channel, staying between the tall weeds on each side, and took home a beautiful 19" jack coho that doesn't take up a tag space. These are so good baked whole and full of mushroom-onion-breadcrumb stuffing. These lake jack coho do not lose their table quality nearly as quickly as adults can, this is a really good one especially being just short of the 20" cutoff.  Two adults and a jack this week on the same spinner.

Big show yesterday was the groups of river otters (on land a ROMP, on the water a RAFT), the extended cold rain was bugging Pepper and an otter fight on a log near us set her off, she was not happy and ignored all her training about center of gravity on kayak, got up high trying to climb over me...

Pepper: "River Otters my ass, those are cats!"

Video is mostly otters and the jack fight/netting.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Sunday 9am- dam closed (3 otters in the pool above the dam) and just 3 trailers at the 101 Tahk launch, doesn't scream "hot coho fishing" to me however the water level is slightly lower that my last check on Wednesday afternoon. So they probably opened the dam on Thur or Friday and new fish had not reached the arms while lots of us were fishing on Friday.

Siltcoos launch almost full at 9am, maybe 5 spots left, not sure what that says about Saturdays fishing there but it seems positive.

I'm planning to fish Mon and Tue, not sure which lake yet, appreciate any intel from over the weekend.  cheers, roger
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 06:46:39 AM by rogerdodger »

Oldhammer

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2021
Fished Tahk Mallard Arm on Saturday.  Caught a bright and beautiful 19.5in Jack at 9:30 and that was it for the day.  Monkeyfist also caught a Jack. Didn’t see a single adult netted.  Fished Siltcoos Sunday from 7-1.  Nothing! Saw one roll at 7:30 and that was it.  There were a lot of boats on the water and a lot of nets stuck in their holders.  Talked to a few people and heard of one take down.

One boat asked me if I was Roger!  I said, “I wish. If I was Roger I’d have a fish in the yak”
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 05:59:49 PM by Oldhammer »

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
I'm going to play a hunch that the dams were opened last Monday, maybe they will open them again this Monday.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Going with a later Siltcoos outing, 10am to 5pm, my hope is a whole pod of coho come swimming in during the afternoon and the marina/outlet area lights up.  But who knows, it's going to be a sunny + no wind week, fingers crossed.

I like hearing more jacks being caught, they usually are earlier in the run, so that's encouraging.

SD2OR

• Salmon
Too bad none of us won that recent Powerball!
Hoping whoever buys it, manages things well.
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Checked the Tahk dam at 9am and I am now thinking they have opened the spillways a little, trying to match the incoming water with outflow. There should be pods of fish coming in on the high tides now.

Fished Siltcoos in strong/gusty wind from the east (bad wind direction) so I fished down the west side of Booth island and released a 15" chrome buck. At the south end, I landed an adult buck trolling a wiggler, based on my 22" legal lingcod marks on the bow, it was about 24", so I released it. 

Was planning to fish the marina/outlet area into the late afternoon, so headed that way. With the waves rocking us from the side, I was short trolling the gold/orange spinner along the west shoreline, tossing it back 20', very close to shore, keeping the rod in my hand and steering with the other, ticking a weed now and maybe 3' from the reeds, it stops dead, hook set, quick turn, pull reverse and back away from shore with waves now coming over the stern (unhappy Pepper but she stayed down the whole time).
big shiny buck.  29.5", 9#

None of the PB that were trolling the travel lanes hooked anything I could see, not sure what was going on up the spawning arms today. That's 4 on my tag, planning to fish Tahk tomorrow.