Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:31:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Siltcoos/Tahk/10mile lakes coho thread  (Read 9552 times)

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Just checking in so you know I still have a pulse. I did not make it to the lakes, it's too far for a day trip for me. I've done it before. I did make it to Beaver Creek, the Lincoln County one, on Thursday as it also had a wild coho retention season from Nov1.-Nov 15. Really slow there, I saw one fish roll in 7 hours and caught a couple of cutties. I did hook one and had it in my lap briefly, but, as I was reaching for my bonker it made one last heroic leap and bounced off my paddle leash to freedom. It left some scales as a remembrance, though. It was either a jack or a small legal. There was light fishing pressure and nobody I talked to caught any either but had lost a few. I think it was the first time Beaver Cr. has been open in six or seven years.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
excellent, great you could check in C-run.

nothing good today from Tahk Mallard arm, a large bag of chanterelles softened the skunk. Also, the Mallard arm was basically an Outback and Compass, light wind and whole bunch of ducks. there is value in solitude. (my guess is PB have been focusing on 5 mile arm).

this next rain event is important, these lakes are like a short river system, Nestucca and Elk/Sixes come to mind, odds are that I'll get #5 after the holiday. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 08:12:57 AM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

kemfish

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2021
Found two jacks today up in the Maple arm.  Lots of boats working the arm and the east shoreline.  There were a ton of trailers at the ramp so I guessing even more were up the fiddler arm.  No one working the inlet to booth island paths like they were last week after the rain.  From listening to a few boats talking it sounds like a couple people managed fish, but not a lot.
Keith

Old Town Sportsman 106 PDL

kemfish

• Perch
Tried the Maple Arm today and finally caught an adult salmon.  Not had much success with the salmon this year, but finally have one on the tag.  25", 5lb, buck.  Fair number of boats trolling in circles from Nightingales down along the east shoreline.  Really didn't seem like much was happening.  It'd be nice if some rain or these big tides could push some more fish into the lake.  I'd love another shot at one.

Keith

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Excellent, nice Siltcoos buck!

Fish trickling through the lake between rain events is normal, I'm expecting this next set of storms through about Dec.1 to bring in the last good fishing this year.

kemfish

• Perch
Saturday, tried the Mallard arm on Tahk.  Made a couple laps, saw three other boats, caught one nice cutthroat

Today, hit the Maple arm on Siltcoos.  Beautiful day mostly except for a short rain and hail shower (weird, although when I got back to Eugene it looks like they had some slush on the road so maybe just one crazy storm moving through).  One other boat in the arm, could see two or three moving around the main lake.  Caught a 23/24" coho that looked pretty scraggly so let it go, Kept a nice looking jack, and lost something that could have been either.

Might try once more later in the week depending on the weather.  This fishery seems to be winding down.  Sure is a tight window to get on fish.  I'd be out of luck without Rodger's reports.

Thanks
Keith

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Thanks for the report sir!
This is only my second year trying this fishery, but thinking and hoping this storm system will bring some good action, before it's done for the year.

Roger seems to be the authority in matters of the costal lakes, and his intel is usually what I base my decision to make the drive or not on.

Really appreciate your leg work and posts Roger n Pepper!
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Thanks for the report Kemfish! This year's lack of substantial rain is similar to 2019. Once the lake levels rise and the dam gates are opened, there should be another shot of bright coho coming through. I caught some dimes on Siltcoos that year in mid-December. This week's set of storms look promising.
aMayesing Bros.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
that's what I'm looking for, one of those late fall dimes. great to hear other folks are still chasing them.

planning to fish Mallard tomorrow (mostly to get some mushrooms...lol), then Thursday and Sunday are looking good, that's when I really expect to see fresh ones in the lakes, assuming I don't get one tomorrow. 

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Tuesday- really nice day at Mallard arm but not any coho wanted to play. chilly but almost no wind, which makes for a really nice day on the water, river otters twice and a large bald eagle making multiple dives nearby. 2 of us say just 3 total coho jump/rolls and none hit a lure. nice bag of late chanterelles, worth the effort to find then. and my first ever Matsutake! wow, that smell and flavor.

NOAA hourly is showing really nice low (not gusty) wind days coming up- Thur, Sat. and Sun. This late in the year, if the storms/dam/tides/whatever bring a pod of fish in, it can make for a very nice day of fishing.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 08:25:37 AM by rogerdodger »

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
colder than expected and an extended snow/sleet/hail storm made adding a layer to both Pepper and I a good decision.

no sign of fish on the west or east side to top of Maple arm (slightly brown water up there) but the outlet river was moving at 4pm (when I fished the hell out of it hoping from a fresh one coming in...). 

my experience with canine in outdoor situations like this, if you keep their core mostly dry and warm, they will do just fine. Pepper made it clear this was a 50% increase in treats day. 

« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 07:28:39 AM by rogerdodger »

kemfish

• Perch
I'm planning on one more go out of Nightengale's on Sunday.  Looks like a weather window in the late morning through early afternoon, which is when I tend to hit the water anyway.
Going to get that 20lber that is late to the show cause she was fattening up in the ocean.
Keith

kemfish

• Perch
Fished a couple hours, saw one fish surface didn't catch anything or even have a bite.  Few power boats still working the east shore.  Maybe a few fish still around.

Saw Pepper as I was leaving. Said the guy in her kayak may have had a bite.

Keith
Keith

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Went South and all the way up into Fiddle arm today.  Didn't see one fish jump or roll. Weather was super indecisive, but nice at times. Once the rain got steady, started heading for the launch, and just as I was about to call it quits, had a strong take down on a wiggler, halfway between the outlet and the ramp.  Took a bunch of line, then got off.  Only action for the day for me.
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
long day at Siltcoos, I think there were as many kayaks out coho fishing as PBs. there were a few PB out duck hunting, they had some success, people fishing not so much. 

Hobster and I headed south at 10am and didn't find any action at the south bay, with 3 kayaks already up the Fiddle Arm and not reporting fish, we decided to fish across the east side RR trestles and into Maple arm.  Just before Nightingale's, I was spin trolling along the shoreline/reeds, 20' back, rod in hand, big coho stopped my spinner dead, big roll, pulled some drag, huge head shake and loose. Bent the spinner shaft good.

after an hour fishing all over the Maple arm, seeing 1 fish roll, heading out we got hit by a nasty wind/rain cell, took shelter in the marina for 20minutes, got soaked, headed across, fished the west shoreline one more time and back to the launch at 4:30pm.

That's it for me, tough year due to the dry summer, not enough October rain, strange dam operations (perhaps due to sale of that property).

anything