Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:11:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:40:17 PM]

[Today at 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: What about 2016 Outbacks  (Read 4001 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Dude!  You did fine and I managed to untangle the birds nest to free up the answer without resorting to too much cussing.  And anyway, you've never seen me tell a tale without wandering off into the weeds, have you?  I didn't think so.

I had a Revo 13 before I was dragged into took up fly-fishing and that boat wasn't very fly-friendly.  My fly line loved to scurry down the well for the  Mirage drive - once it tangled in the rudder when I needed to get moving RIGHT NOW and I did circles until that other guy freed the rudder for me and see, I'm off in the weeds...

Doh!
I misread.
Maybe someday I'll learn to read.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Thank you.  And for the record, there was never a finer sit-on-top kayak design than the Trident hull and it was a mortal sin against kayaking when Johnson Outdoors stopped making them.  I - and a lot of other folks - hoped they'd use the molds and just print "Old Town" on the side, but alas...

I just want to paddle an Outback to get some exercise, and I appreciate reading about your experience.  I think i'm on the right track.

The answer is yes.  I paddle my Outback on occassion (mostly for some upper body exercise other than the rowing machine in my living room).  Definately doable but not as easy as my Jackson Cuda or a Revolution (no experience with a Trident).  The Outback will give you that opportunity for full body conditioning.  Best of luck.

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
The older Outbacks are a great boat.  I had my 2015 up until a few months ago when I sold it (you dont want to know for how much) and the only issue i had with it was the auto eject seat while practicing reentry.  A piece of shock cord with a carabiner tied to the seat and a pad eye on the boat ensured that would never happen again.  Yes, they have the PVC inserts in the scupper holes.  As far as paddling, yes you can but I wouldn't want to do it for any length of time.

Welcome to the Dark Side...  :banjo:
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
The 2016 went bye-bye.  It looked like it was dragged across an asphalt parking lot - several times - on the underside.  But there's a 2018 over near Bend that looks good and might work (this time I asked for pictures of the underside).  I don't know why all the nice boats are hundreds of miles away, and why, oh why, doesn't anyone deliver?

Did your 2015 do a full auto eject?  The 2016 had a nylon strap holding the seat to the hull so I figured could only do a partial eject.  Or was that strap prone to let loose?  Easier to fix that than to replace a CT Vantage seat because HOLY COW those are expensive lawn chairs.

The older Outbacks are a great boat.  I had my 2015 up until a few months ago when I sold it (you dont want to know for how much) and the only issue i had with it was the auto eject seat while practicing reentry.  A piece of shock cord with a carabiner tied to the seat and a pad eye on the boat ensured that would never happen again.  Yes, they have the PVC inserts in the scupper holes.  As far as paddling, yes you can but I wouldn't want to do it for any length of time.

Welcome to the Dark Side...  :banjo:

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
yeah, I was practicing reentry and on the second or third roll when I rolled it back over the seat was no longer in the boat.  I spent the rest of the day dragging the lake bottom trying to find it.  Luckily I found a used one on Ebay but it still cost me $300 though.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
yeah, I was practicing reentry and on the second or third roll when I rolled it back over the seat was no longer in the boat.  I spent the rest of the day dragging the lake bottom trying to find it.  Luckily I found a used one on Ebay but it still cost me $300 though.

Find a shallower lake.  I practice in water just deep enough that I can't stand up in it.  Will I get silly, too, when I own a kayak?

Never mind. I believe I turned silly a long, long time ago.   ???

anything