Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 02:05:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Howdy ya'll! ;)  (Read 2328 times)

Bee F

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Mar 2023
Miki and I began moving here in 2006 from TX, where we would fish every possible moment from our Old Towne Osprey's loaded up on a flats catamaran.  Unlike many anglers, who sought speckled trout and redfish which certainly offered lots of enjoyment, but didn't always eat so well, we were exclusive pretty much to FLOUNDER <drool>!  We'd come back to the docs with a cooler full of "dinner plate" and larger flatties, a haul that would have some of the captains sneaking by to take a look and whispering "I wish I could catch THOSE!" Now, we've wanted to go kayak or canoe fishing here for so long, but whether it is our fear of the deep, cold waters here or various excuses, we've just never done it.  I hope this is the year that will change.

I tried bank fishing at Sandlake with no success, and want try and hit the Spring run as flatties make their way into bays and estuaries to lay their eggs, a time when the largest ones can normally be caught... but I'm trying to figure out what kayak or canoe to use.  This may or may not work out... I've read conflicting reports here (there isn't much of value anywhere else, you'd think people hadn't eaten a yummy fresh flounder, ever) so I guess I just need to try.  So, I don't want to start big.  I want to get out in something inexpensive, but safe and seaworthy (I've had my experiences with not seaworthy things and don't ever want to again).  This is complicated by Miki having developed awful Rheumatoid Arthritis, meaning she really can't paddle much, meaning we will need to be in the same boat with me paddling mostly.

I've looked around and found most 2-person hardshell kayaks to be a serious commitment, perhaps more than I'm willing to make for something that might not work out, but I've also found that options in inflatable kayaks are much better than they were 30 years ago! I've looked at all of them pretty much. There are compromises. If I'm unwilling to risk seaworthiness, the field seems limited..., but one of the least expensive but most promising things I've seen is the Saturn (yup, the people who make tenders and RIB's) KaBoat.  This critter can be paddled to start with and later, if it works out, even has a transom for a small engine... if we decide we want (or need) one. I may try and get one in early May and give it a shot.  If I can, then I'll post here to let you know what I find out.

Glad to meet y'all, and here's wishing you tight lines and hot drag washers!

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Welcome to the NWKA Bee F.  I plan to spend some winters in Texas fishing the intercoastal waters fishing for reds, black drum, etc..  I am sure you saw the "This is What's Going to Kill You." article.  Use the search feature of the site to locate the great safety infomation that NWKA members have shared.  Have fun!  ;)
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Bee F

• Plankton
Thanks!  We had lots of secret spots all over TX.  If you will be going anywhere between Galveston and Port O'Connor/Seadrift, I'd be glad to share them with you.  Most are only accessible by kayak.

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I would appreciate that.  Matagorda and East Matagorda bays are on my list.  Picked up Hook-n-Line maps that cover much of the intercoastal areas.  Just haven't made it down there yet (plan to once I retire - have kayak will travel).   
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Saltydog0

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2012
One of us went the wrong way.  After 10 years in Oregon, I moved to Houston last year. 
I guess you didn't clear out all the flounder before you left.  I picked up a couple last Saturday in Christmas Bay.

Dave

Bee F

• Plankton
Awesome!  I approve the "eat and release" photo heartily (good filleting job!). Those look like young females... any eggs?  I bet the Spring Run is well underway.  If you haven't tried Jones Lake, I recommend it, especially the saltgrass North bank and even back into the marshes there.  There is an old cut that leads to a bridge for the train and, if you go under or over, there is a deep cut parallel to the tracks that they cut during construction a long time ago.  The edges of that are prime territory... this time of year would limit on flatties 20"+.  Also, the three little islands right in front of the bait shop (if it's still there) are awesome for rat reds on ultralight, as the outflow from the shrimp tanks is like the world's best chum slick.

Saltydog0

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2012
One flounder had eggs. 
Is this the Jones Lake you're referring to?  I've not yet been to it.  I've not yet been to lots of places.

My favorites in OR were Yaquina & Siletz bays for crab, Depoe Bay & Pacific City for Black Rockfish & Lingcod, Detroit Lake & Green Peter Reservoir for Kokanee Salmon.  I do miss it.

Dave

Bee F

• Plankton
This might be a good illustration of how much might have changed in the years since I got the heck out of Texas!  ;D

Here is where the cut I refer to is: https://goo.gl/maps/H3yBH9GEEXvryosm7 .  When I was there at least, it was called "Jones Lake" or "Jones Bay".  It is bounded by Tiki Island to the South, the railroad trestle to the North, and I-45 to the East.  Looks like Fat Boy's bait might still be there, which is where I would launch.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
welcome Bee F.
Considering the sport of kayak fishing has exploded in popularity, you probably can't go wrong buying a watercraft that meets all your requirements, and if it didn't work out as expected, the resale is very high to recoup your costs.  And if it's something you'll keep, enjoy and have many safe excursions, it'll be worth the investment.

Those flounders looks yummy

Bee F

• Plankton
Thank you and that's a good point!  It seems like the folks in WA talk about tons of flounder in the various parts of the Sound, though you find very little about it in OR, mainly blamed on the abundance of flippered fishermen.  Still, I take hope from one or two posts that may indicate that they are here and under-exploited. Can hardly wait to try it out!

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Thank you and that's a good point!  It seems like the folks in WA talk about tons of flounder in the various parts of the Sound, though you find very little about it in OR, mainly blamed on the abundance of flippered fishermen.  Still, I take hope from one or two posts that may indicate that they are here and under-exploited. Can hardly wait to try it out!

Lot of quality flounder found off Depoe Bay.  I think they are incredibly underexploited.  Not many people drop to the bottom when out past the reed.  Typically people go past the reef for coho.  It is something i have been wanting to learn more about.  Chris, on this forum, has caught a ton on the past and even wrote an article on it in a local magazine.  Lots of sandabs, petrele sole, and a possibility for pacific halibut
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Catch 22 with the flounder in the ocean (for me at least): I only get a few days per year (at most) in the ocean and I reasonably know how to get rockfish/bottom fish and thats what i want vs. spending time trying to target bottom fish that may or may not be there.  Power boat scouting could be nice because you are able to move from teh reef to the flats quicker. 

Bee F

• Plankton
Thank you both! I generally stay in the bays, though you make me wonder... I have fished nearshore for Halibut from a kayak before, so... .

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Hiya, Bee. Former San Antonian here.

If you're looking for a tandem SOT kayak, the field has been narrowing over the past years. Right now Native Watercraft and Vibe Kayaks might be your best bets for a tandem.

Don't let the ocean scare you. You dont have to do it if you dont feel comfortable.  Where you are located right now (based on your profile) you've got access to loads of sheltered saltwater fishing, as well as the big rivers.

Get out and enjoy the water.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Glad this thread was resurrected as I missed it the first time around. Welcome to the forum!

I, also, love eating flounder and have spent some time poking around for them. I have had no success in the bays in Oregon, although I'm sure if you time it right and find some spots you will find some success. I have caught a few in the ocean at Pacific City both inside, on, and outside "the reef" as well as a few  outside of Sunset Bay. I have also caught Starry Flounder over 90 river miles from the ocean on the Willamette River! As you found, a lot of the effort in the greater region is focused on Puget Sound.

If you're going to focus on the Oreogn bays, then you may be on your own for info, or at least I certainly couldn't find anything from the last decade when I looked. If you decide to gear up for the ocean, then you can find fish. As mentioned above, our very own "Clayman" is a great resource for flatfish knowledge. As you might imagine, in the ocean your gear is going to be a bit different than the inshore waters of TX. For relatively shallow (less than 60FOW), I use 2-4oz. of lead to a short leader with bait. In deeper water, I usually use 4 oz. Most of the ones I've caught, though, were bycatch while jigging for lingcod. One fun thing is that in the ocean you never know what size flatfish might find you! (see last photo).

I'd be really curious to hear how your explorations go, and I'd be up for spending some time on the bays looking for them with you - feel free to hit me up.