Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:48:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Roof Rack Help  (Read 1389 times)

Asully503

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I am looking for suggestions on a roof rack accessory to store my kayak right side up on my truck canopy. I always transported it upside down and kinda jimmied/bounced it forward onto the rack (sometimes pretty forcefully). Over time, the rubber on my Thule rack has deteriorated and chipped away and has started popping out of the track system it rests in. This has become super frustrating to deal with when loading/unloading. I also think me being rough bouncing the kayak forward lead to an early demise of my Garmin transducer (which I just had to replace).

I am looking for an easy solution to buy online for a 2020 Hobie Outback. I have been looking at Rack Attack online at the Yakima DeckHand, Yakima EvenKeel or Thule 895 DockGrip. Does anybody have any experience with these? Pictures and/or other recommendations are welcomed.

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
I dont know anything about the ones you asked about but I do use the Thule Dockglide.  They are similar to the Dockgrip but they have felt covered pads in the back instead of rubber.  This allows you to slide the kayak on those felt pads.  I also use the Rhino Rack T-Loader to help get the boat up onto the rack on my truck.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Huli roller I believe is the one that has two wheels at the back and cradles at the front. I used a Malone seawing on our Outback, not sure how it would be on a Hobie up that high.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
The seawing has a slide out stinger that has rubber pads that sat on the liftgate edge. Was pretty easy to heave that tank on an Outback. Didn’t look to see where you be, but if you wanted to text fit mine on your rig before you buy let me know…. And no I won’t sell mine 😝
Edit: Beaverton ain’t that far from Tillamook let me know if you want to try it out, after you do some fishing!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 08:53:41 AM by Mojo Jojo »

Shannon

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
The seawing has a slide out stinger that has rubber pads that sat on the liftgate edge. Was pretty easy to heave that tank on an Outback. Didn’t look to see where you be, but if you wanted to test fit mine on your rig before you buy let me know…. And no I won’t sell mine 😝

Shannon

Asully503

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Thanks for the replies and messages. Gonna do some research and head into our local stores with the kayak (rerack and rack attack). Trying to get this all set up before I head to a S. Oregon lake first weekend in June.

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I added Dakine surfboard pads to my aero bars, problem solved. Still allows you to push/jimmie the Outback on and off, but it also stays put when strapped down. The first set lasted ~10 years.
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

kemfish

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2021
I'm on a Honda Pilot with an Old town sportsman.  I use a yakima system with the jet stream bars, big catch cradles and the showboat roller.  I've also used a set of the Malone cradles which I think worked as well at a fraction of the price.  They were comparable on the Yakima bars.  The Showboat roller is a lifesaver for getting a heavy kayak on top of a taller vehicle.  Lets you lean it up against it and push instead of lifting also protects your car.
Keith

Old Town Sportsman 106 PDL

tjpeck

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2021
I have a Showboat roller system and a handful of cradles that I don’t need. I’d be happy to sell them at a fair price.

I ended up making my own roller system that connects to the standard roof rack on my Toyota Sequoia … only when I want it.  My Hobie Compass rides upside down on Dakine cross-bar pads.

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
I dont know anything about the ones you asked about but I do use the Thule Dockglide.  They are similar to the Dockgrip but they have felt covered pads in the back instead of rubber.  This allows you to slide the kayak on those felt pads. ...
I use the Thule Dockglides too for my Revo. Mounted them on my pickup's lumber rack. Love them. They've lasted about 15 years parked outside.

One thing I do is cover the lumber rack cross member between the Dockslides with foam pipe insulation and wrap either metal foil or fabric duct tape around it. This gives he tupperware something soft to rest against.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

JohnMack

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Oct 2022
I have the Yakima Show Downs for my two Outbacks, they are pricing, but are incredibly secure at highway speeds and above.  The only downside is loading them by yourself.  Since you load from the side you have to lift your kayak parallel to the ground up to chest height.  After that its super easy.  I have perfected a bit of a clean & jerk move over time that works well.  Also, the Show Down is rated a little light for the heavy Outback, as long as you take it easy it will be fine.

John

anything