Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 07:33:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Vrigin T13 Angler Rigging Priorities  (Read 7290 times)

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
It's the newest newbie here.  I've been spending hours reading the forums and the potential for a MacGyver like me is mind-boggling. 

I have a virgin T13 Angler arriving on Wednesday.  Obviously I need to spend some time with just the boat, PFD, paddle, and clothing to figure out the paddling and maneuvering, but at some point soon I am going to start fishing.

Any suggestions as to rigging priorities?  Basic paddling setup?  Loved the Bungie Power video - one handed operation as a design feature.  Things as basic as how to stow fishing tackle, rod holders, and dry bags, then, FF/GPS, anchor, downrigger, etc.  The potential is endless and confusing and the wealth of knowledge on these forums is huge.

Where do I start?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 07:57:00 AM by demonick »
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
sit in the boat, decide where YOU want to put things. it's great having it your way.

btw, does your T13 have the rod pod cut out and hatch installed?? if not, call the folks in Ferndale or go online to the OK site, pick one up and do that 1st.. adding in the rod pod gives you tons more access and install options.

otherwise;

start with an anchor trolley system including tie off cleat, [ see the articles on the front page and also look into "drillin and cuttin ' forum] with about a $25 layout you can have one put together in around 30 minutes. thats if you stop and have a cup of coffee etc..

forgot a step; trip to the local hardware store for small diameter rope, pullys, bungee loops ( the ones that are used for tarps and have the red plastic ball work great for shock absorbers) snap links, steel O rings, and a few carabiners.

then, build the "bsteves anchor special" [also on the front page]. which requires....another trip to the hardware store... ;D ;D might add about 2-3 feet of 1/2 inch chain and a clevis to the list... the chain is added to the bottom end of the standard 1 1/2 lb anchor. or, just get a heavier anchor...

also, add a drift sock to the anchoring arsenal..and rig it so that it works on the trolley system too. mine's about 26 inches in dia. and some days i think i still need bigger. i use it more than a standard anchor since i prefer to drift more than sit still. the drift sock just helps me go slower   ;D

see a pattern?? it's addictive , but fun too puttin your own custom touches on your boat.

for me, locally ACE hardware has truly been the place for a lot of the basic hardware.. but i've also had places like McClendons yeild up things i couldnt find any place else..

wherever you start, it's totaly up to you, but have fun with it.
[WR]

Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
when I got my first boat it was middle of winter, lots of drillin' cuttin' time before I could get it out in the water. >:(
 I started by sitting inside the boat and deciding where all your gear will be stowed as WR stated above.
 I think the hardest thing for me to deal with on the water is my tackle. I use a soft sided tackle box, but have yet to find the Kind place tp keep it while fishing.
 I am thinking of going to a rigid tackle box soon.
 The most important thing is take your time and be sure things are where you want them prior to drillin'and cuttin'
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Here's recent rigging job at NWKA done by SBD ... http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,17324

Sean did a great job as always.

-Allen

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
demonick - You mentioned the bungee power trick for the rod pod.  Here's my take on it, as I have done this with mine.   It is really great for slack water, lakes or places where you just need to keep the lid on in the event you tip over.  As I found out, it allows too much movement when the kayak is tumbled through the surf zone and allows more water in than I want.  So, before my second trip out to the big blue, I added the stock buckles back on, but installed them under the bungee mounts.  This allows me to just drop the buckles inside the rod pod out of the way, and use just the bungees when I don't need surf pounding security while fishing. 

I also added an additional buckled strap that runs the length of the rod pod to really lock down that lid for a spectacular "huli" event.  I found that the ends would lift even with the factory straps, this end to end strap fixes this issue.

Here's my version of the bungee power mod.
http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,2306.0.html
And link to more pics.
http://s604.photobucket.com/albums/tt128/INSAYN_BCR/Fishing/Kayak%20bungee%20modification/?albumview=slideshow

As for a gear box, I've been using a Flambeau orange marine dry box that fits the hole right behind the seat.  So far it is great on the lake and flat water.  Not so happy with it in the surf zone.  During my first "huli", my yak went upside down and pulled by the wave.  The water pressure pulled on the lid and allowed it to absorb lots of water.  Nothing in there was supposed to stay dry, but what's the point of having a lid if it isn't going to stay down.  Then Friday when I rolled it again, the damn lid popped open and displayed a nice small yard sale on the beach.  I am going to only use this dry box for lake use now, and look into a dry bag that will fit in the same space, and then buckle it down good for surfing.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
  Then Friday when I rolled it again, the damn lid popped open and displaced a nice small yard sale on the beach. 

Hey, I was thinking a little bit about that and wanted to suggest that you could rivet some straps & buckles on that box. That's what I'd do if I were you. Maybe drill some drainage holes around the bottom somewhere even. I like the idea of those tool boxes that fit behind the seat of the trident and prowler models. Dry bags can be a pain, they'll work for what you want though. Personally, I would outfit that box with some straps and buckles.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Yeah, I'm thinking drain holes too.  A brass clip on the lock holes would keep it from opening up.  Learn something new each time I test something in the salt.  I have some monster plastic buckles from some luggage, and 3" wide webbing that I could secure that sucker with.  ;D

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Fishboy

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Great info guys. Haven't gotten my T13 wet yet, either. Speaking of the rod pod, doesn't some of your gear scoot forward and backward down inside there?

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
you can fix that by making up some home built leashes and leashing things into the interior area by looping one end around the scupper tubes and the other around the item you stow...

or, take bits of pool noodle, some marine goop, make a couple "stop bumps" on the interior floor so the stuff doesnt slide forward too far or backwards too far...

word of caution for Trident 15 owners.... i've found that being 250, i tend to make the seat welll bend down just ever so slightly when onboard.. if i have items stowed inside that have slid rearward, under the seat, they tend to get pinched, stuck.. so you have to figure out how to remove that pressure to pull whateveritis forward.  that's why i've suggested to you that putting a bump stop on the interior floor is a good idea.. place it so the stuff doesnt run too far back... i think i posted about this a while back in another thread..[WR]
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Demonick-

I'm planning on hitting either Lk Wa or Sammamish this Saturday if you want to take a look at an anchor trolly, crate, foam puck transducer mount, etc... first hand on a P13 (very, very similar to T13).  Anyone else is welcome too. 

If you don't have a cart yet, I would recommend Lk Wa because Lk Sammamish doesn't have any easy access point w/o one.

demonick

• Sturgeon
Demonick-

I'm planning on hitting either Lk Wa or Sammamish this Saturday if you want to take a look at an anchor trolly, crate, foam puck transducer mount, etc... first hand on a P13 (very, very similar to T13).  Anyone else is welcome too. 

If you don't have a cart yet, I would recommend Lk Wa because Lk Sammamish doesn't have any easy access point w/o one.

Thanks for the invitation.  If I wasn't already committed to something else on Saturday I'd be there.  I'll try for Sunday and Lake Washington as it's closer.  I live in Shoreline.  And, I do have a cart.
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

demonick

• Sturgeon
My boat arrived yesterday.  I unpacked it, checked out the yellow boat and the accessories, then signed off on the delivery.  It won't fit on the floor of my garage so I am going to hang it, but in the mean time, I put the cart together and dragged the yak into the living room.  I installed the rudder and was generally just checking it out.  It was still on the cart and I put on the mango PFD, fingerless gloves, grabbed the paddle and was sitting in it.  Just feeling the rudder, the seat, the paddle, and so on.  As I was sitting there I heard a key in the front door lock, and The Little Woman walks in, home early from work.  If she had been drinking anything it would have come out her nose.

It was one of life's little moments.
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
My boat arrived yesterday.  I unpacked it, checked out the yellow boat and the accessories, then signed off on the delivery.  It won't fit on the floor of my garage so I am going to hang it, but in the mean time, I put the cart together and dragged the yak into the living room.  I installed the rudder and was generally just checking it out.  It was still on the cart and I put on the mango PFD, fingerless gloves, grabbed the paddle and was sitting in it.  Just feeling the rudder, the seat, the paddle, and so on.  As I was sitting there I heard a key in the front door lock, and The Little Woman walks in, home early from work.  If she had been drinking anything it would have come out her nose.

Hah!  Reminds me of back when I got my first whitewater yak.  The gfriend and I both got yaks together and when we picked them up, we bought some inspirational ww action videos.  Yup, we were so excited that we geared up in the living room, got in our yaks in front of the TV and put the videos on.  What dorks!!!

-Allen

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
If she had been drinking anything it would have come out her nose.

I was picturing that exact scenario  ;D
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
I've never done either of these things, and have no idea what you're talking about.

well, ok, sometimes I do it still. Maybe I'm an addict.

enjoy your new boat!

Hah!  Reminds me of back when I got my first whitewater yak.  The gfriend and I both got yaks together and when we picked them up, we bought some inspirational ww action videos.  Yup, we were so excited that we geared up in the living room, got in our yaks in front of the TV and put the videos on.  What dorks!!!

-Allen

anything