Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 11:17:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:19:09 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 04:21:47 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Yak Demos  (Read 3989 times)

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
As I get nearer to purchasing my first kayak, I am getting ready to start demoing a few yaks to get a better idea of what I want.  I know pretty much every dealer in PDX offers demos, but my main question is: what do i need to bring with me?  I have no gear of my own... Do i need to be at least somewhat prepared and bring my own suitable outerwear, or do most places have something to loan me...?
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I have two kayaks that you can test on Hagg this week if you like.  (Wed, Thurs, Friday, Sat)
OK T-13  and an OK Malibu Two XL.

I have a spare kayak PFD, and Paddle too. 

The water seems warm enough to me now that I a quick jaunt around the lake in shorts would be fine without a full on drysuit requirement.   ;D

Lemme know.  Mornings are best for me.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
That'd be sweet! I have wed/thurs off work. I figure at least the rain gear I keep in my backpack for those iffy days would be suitable for flat water if I think wetness will be a problem.  I'd love to give that T13 a spin.
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish

bigdood

• Lingcod
  • poormansheli
If you haven't bought by the first week of July ping me and you can test my Perception Search 15.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
That'd be sweet! I have wed/thurs off work. I figure at least the rain gear I keep in my backpack for those iffy days would be suitable for flat water if I think wetness will be a problem.  I'd love to give that T13 a spin.

Lemme know if you wanna meet at my house, or Hagg Lake tomorrow.  Since we're just looking at just paddling and not fishing, there's no reason to go crazy on trying to be on the water at the crack of dawn.  9am is a reasonable time.  I'll PM you my number and address if you want to meet at my place (10 mins from Hagg), and I have a season parking pass.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Madoc

• Lingcod
  • Kayak.Yng
Next Adventure demos out of Sellwood park every Thursday around 4pm.  You need to call ahead to make sure they have the kayak you are interested in demoing - and they bring everything you need for a quick turn in the willy

yessnoo

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
thats where i bought and demoed my yak...they even gave me tie down straps when we went to load up cause I didn't have any long enough...

but to tell you the truth I was in portland for work so I was buying a kayak either way...saved about 150 dollars in taxes
2008 Hobie Mirage Revolution Fish

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
The Nothing and I met up at Hagg today and he paddled around like he owned it.   ;D 

We had a good time just shoot'n the breeze and making all the bankers wish they had not spent all their money on that fancy "Y" shaped rod holder.   :P

The water is warm enough to swim in (for my kids anyway), and the wind was dead, water was glass. 

Good to meet ya TN!

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
The Nothing and I met up at Hagg today and he paddled around like he owned it.   ;D 

We had a good time just shoot'n the breeze and making all the bankers wish they had not spent all their money on that fancy "Y" shaped rod holder.   :P

The water is warm enough to swim in (for my kids anyway), and the wind was dead, water was glass. 

Good to meet ya TN!

Yah, but...did you catch anything?
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
gotta have line in the water for that...

This was my first time in a SOT. Mikey Likes It!

FWIW, i did spent a few hours fishing... worms, powerbait, top, bottom, kastmasters, big spinners.. nothing other than the lil punkin' seeds pecking at the worms while on the float...  Saw just a few 8inchers taken from the bank.  Spotted a couple decent bass while paddlin though...

Got a few others that I wanna ride though, namely the Big Game, Tarpon 160, and Search 15....

I had seen that Next Adventure did demos every thursday, think i might give them a call next week.  Most of what I've seen from them has been Hobies.  There are a couple Hobies that interest me, but i'd rather not have the peddle drive....
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

Good to meet ya TN!

Yah, but...did you catch anything?

Not a fishing trip for me this time.  Nor tomorrow. 
I'm taking the wife and kids out on the yaks for a few quick hours.  Kids have been dying to ride, so I figure their out of school as of today....why not? 

anything