Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:28:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Your local beach clean  (Read 41317 times)

fishnut

• Salmon
  • 1st Recipient of 2012 A$$hat Award
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Zee,

Haven't heard much bfrom anyone out there, but noticed lots of trash at one of my favorite water access dog parks, so will just take me bags there.
 :D ;D ;)

yakchik

Picked a full trash bag of Beer cans and broken glass while the dog was playing in the surf yesterday.( I think it was as party spot over the weekend) >:(

You're right Pelagic there are never too many good Karma points to earn in a day. I need as many as I can get.  ;D ;D ;D

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
and she's b-u-y-ing a stairway to heaven

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Great job everyone. LOVE to hear about the cleanups!

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

yakchik

A stairway, heck! I'm gonna get me one a those hover round chairs With high performance tires and still visit the beach.lol :o ::) ;D

And a lift to load my ol' a$$ into my yak! :fish:

Fishman James

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2010
Applegate lake, is 5 cans cleaner!! and I'm 25 cents richer!
Whenever you start thinking what other people think, you stop thinking.

brandon

• Plankton
  • FISH ON!!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
i cleaned a bag of trash at my local fishing hole on july 3rd....it was a blast!.... :)....glad to see other people are glad to clean up also! ^-^....cant wait to move from drift fishing in the river to kayak fishing in the ocean!...someday i will find my YAK!

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
brandon,
search the forums for jammer. he has a brand new, OK T13 for sale that he just won at ORC. it's a very fair price.
[ i do not want another yellow boat or i'd go after it]
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

brandon

• Plankton
  • FISH ON!!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
i like yellow!....honestly,....color doesnt matter as long as i can YAK it up!....

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
moot point now, brandon. he announced today that he sold it. http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,4914.msg51776/topicseen.html#new

but, no, even tho i have one yellow yak already, i'm not a "yellow person".

So, Zee; would the mouth of the Nisq. Delta be considered a local beach? last time i went up that thing, it was just plain nasty with abandoned tribal fishing gear, mostly net markers make of old styrofoam coolers , milk jugs, etc. i remember Hooknose told me there wasn't much we could do about it. 

Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Now that we have a little light after work anyone down for a Seattle area beach clean? Anywhere from Shilshole to Edmonds is good w/ me.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I'm in though it is still dark pretty early. I don't get to break free of the office till 5 or so.

Backroads Baddler

• Born to Fish
  • Perch
  • Vancouver Islander
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
I came across this discussion and figured I'd share my $0.02.  I've been packing empty garbage bags in and fuller garbage bags out of fishing areas for years and there is something that I have found.  It was more blatant for me during the days walking river edges chasing steelies.  Walking along the trail, I would see garbage that was just out of reach from the trailway, as my main intention was fishing, I would tend to leave some garbage from others as it lay.  The next time I went to the same place, that same garbage would be there, almost always with some more added to it.  So one time, I had enough and made a point of picking ALL of the garbage, no matter how far from the trail.  As long as it was visible, I took it away with me.  The next time I went to the same spot, NO NEW GARBAGE! 

Here is the main reason for my post.  I am a firm believer in the Broken Window Theory created by James Q. Wilson and George Kelling and written about in The Tipping Point by Malcom Gladwell.  Here is a quote.

"If a window is broken and left unrepaired, people walking by will conclude that no one cares and no one is in charge.  Soon, more windows will be broken, and the sense of anarchy will spread from the building to the street on which it faces, sending a signal that anything goes.  In a city, relatively minor problems like graffiti, public disorder, and aggressive panhandling...are all the equivalent of broken windows, invitations to more serious crimes"

I commend everyone that puts effort in to clean up garbage.  Not only are you cleaning the environmental threat but you are also helping to discourage others from particpating in 'breaking windows' and leaving trash behind.
OK Caper
Wilderness Systems Ride 115X
Jackson Cuda 12

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Geochachers motto "cache in, trash out"

Our motto "yakin' in, packin' out.
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Thanks for the great post, BB. This inspires me to be more committed to bringing trash bags with me whenever I go fishing. To be sure, some spots like public boat ramps and popular "meat hole" fisheries just seem to get trashed no matter what, but I believe that the "Broken Window Theory" generally hits the bull's eye.

I came across this discussion and figured I'd share my $0.02.  I've been packing empty garbage bags in and fuller garbage bags out of fishing areas for years and there is something that I have found.  It was more blatant for me during the days walking river edges chasing steelies.  Walking along the trail, I would see garbage that was just out of reach from the trailway, as my main intention was fishing, I would tend to leave some garbage from others as it lay.  The next time I went to the same place, that same garbage would be there, almost always with some more added to it.  So one time, I had enough and made a point of picking ALL of the garbage, no matter how far from the trail.  As long as it was visible, I took it away with me.  The next time I went to the same spot, NO NEW GARBAGE! 

Here is the main reason for my post.  I am a firm believer in the Broken Window Theory created by James Q. Wilson and George Kelling and written about in The Tipping Point by Malcom Gladwell.  Here is a quote.

"If a window is broken and left unrepaired, people walking by will conclude that no one cares and no one is in charge.  Soon, more windows will be broken, and the sense of anarchy will spread from the building to the street on which it faces, sending a signal that anything goes.  In a city, relatively minor problems like graffiti, public disorder, and aggressive panhandling...are all the equivalent of broken windows, invitations to more serious crimes"

I commend everyone that puts effort in to clean up garbage.  Not only are you cleaning the environmental threat but you are also helping to discourage others from particpating in 'breaking windows' and leaving trash behind.
ConeHeadMuddler

anything