Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:35:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Alaska this summer?  (Read 3784 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Is anyone thinking about a trip to Alaska this summer?  I'll be in Valdez for a trip from July 23-25 plus one day on either side.  I've been trying to work out a trip before this date, probably out of Seward.  Since I'll already be in AK and I have the time off, I thought I'd take advantage of it and get as much kayak fishing in as I can.

One option is to head to Port Ashton Lodge ... http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/bb/index.php?topic=275.0.  Kaycamp from the site works at this lodge.

The other option is to do the Aialik Bay trip as suggested here ... http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/bb/index.php?topic=189.0.

The target is large butts and lings, with some salmon (millions of pinks and some sockeye) thrown in for good measure.

I hope to have the logistics and prices figured out in the next 1-1.5 weeks.  Let me know if you're interested in something like this and I'll include you in on the planning.  Otherwise, I'll make a decision and open up slots if there are any open.  I'm hoping to get 4 people to go.  YakontheFly is working on this with me, so there are at least 2 of us already.  I'm trying to keep prices under about $1000 plus airfare, which is pretty reasonable for an Alaska experience.  I'm secretly hoping to have the costs a bit lower, but that all depends on my power of persuasion and how many people go.   ::)

Disclaimer: I'm not organizing this trip (or any trips) as a business and will make no money off of it.  I just want to fish my ass off and enjoy the moment with friends.  Therefore I take no legal responsibility for anything to do with it.  I just wanted to state that as I've been asked this before and wanted to be clear about that.

-Allen

P.S.  I'll probably post this exclusively here for the next 3-4 days, then open it up to the guys at NCKA.  So if you really are interested let me know soon, so I can plan a spot for you.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 10:24:37 PM by polepole »

fulltimenut

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Man, you're killing me. There's no way I can go, but I would highly recommend it to anyone who might be on the fence.
Might this become an annual thingie?

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Might this become an annual thingie?

If I have my way ... YES!!!

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Man it's been a lot of work trying to figure this one out.  Finding yaks has been the hardest part.  Finding  reasonable water transport has been equally hard.  It looks like we've currently thrown everything upside down and our plans are way different than where we started.

Currently leaning on going out of Valdez on a multi-day camping trip.  This made getting kayaks easy as I'll already have some up there for the Valdez mothership trip I have planned.  Still working on water taxi and camp spot.

Is there anyone at all here possibly thinking of going?  It would help me to know as I work through the final planning.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
We're still looking for a hardy sole to join us on this trip, although the trip is a go no matter what.  I have YakontheFly from the KFS board joining me on this one.  The dates are still a little in flux, but I'm flying into Valdez on July 13th and need to be back to Valdez before the 22nd as I'm leaving on a overnight charter on that date for 3 days.  I'm still working with the charter to figure out which days are available/best for us to travel.

The plan is that we are chartering spots on a normal halibut charter with Pacific Mountain Guides to take us out to the edge of the Gulf of Alaska. That's about 70-80 miles from Valdez so it is way out there.  I'm sure that other than the natives of long past, we'll be some of the few people that have kayak fished in this area.  We will camp on either Hinchinbrook Island or Montague Island, depending on the weather and where the big boat is running for the hot bite.  Montague Island is marked on the map I'm attaching.  Hinchinbrook is the large island to the NE of Montague.  You can see that they separate Prince William Sound from the Gulf of Alaska.  If the weather is on the nasty side to cross Prince William Sound, we will need to be flexible to change locations to something closer to port.

The cost is broken down as follows.  The charter is $520 each ($260 per day for a normal halibut charter).  We're hiring an outfitter for $150 per day total (split between those going).  The outfitter will provide camping gear (exact details to be worked out) as well as provide brown bear protection (guns and knowledge).  I think (still confirming) that we'll be able to fish the large boat on the last day as it is a normal halibut charter.  So if we can fish the big boat, we'll be able to meat fish that day and take home some fish with us.  So if we go 6 days and there are 3 of us, the cost will be $820 each.  We'll be on Prowler 13's.  These will be new yaks that we'll be breaking in before the mothership trip I'm going on after the camping trip.

Just a peek at what we have planned for the mothership trip.  This charter is fully booked and we have myself, Allen Bushnell, Howard McKim, and Chris Mautino on it.  It will be 3 days and 2 nights overnighting on the big boat.  I suppose it's a bit of an Ocean Kayak Fishing Crew get together.  We will have mobility with the mothership so this will definitely be a Big Fish Charter.  I can't wait to fish this trip with the experience level of those going!!!  Just trading stories over a few beers with these guys is worth the price of admission.

-Allen

• Pampered Chef- tools to cook what you catch!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Just so you know my husband is frothing at the mouth to go with you- unfortunatly his mom is coming into town so we can't  :'(

Anyway- i dont know where your guide is taking you to camp or stay- but the Glacier campground was FABULOUS!!! its a little primitive but it has pit toilets and nice sites.  Keep your bait/catch/dinner locked up in the truck as there are trash bears in the area- my buddies beer and roe got slurped up!

THe hook line and sinker tackle shop has the best knowledge/ gear / old guys sitting around who know fishing!!

When we were stationed in FBKS we made runs to Valdez for the weekend and would limit out every time. pinks, silvers and even a few early runs of reds. Keep on the look out for wolf eels, scary teeth but supposed to be good eating. Sea lions like the dock where the charters dump carcasses, and if you stand on the ferry dock at low tide 0300 you can see the glow of the lights from the Termial station of the pipeline and just get chills from how amazing Valdez in the summer is. Say hello for us - have an amazing time!

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Update ... decided to ditch the guide and just get a cabin.  The cabin we decided on is Shelter Bay cabin on the NW side of Hinchenbrook Island ... http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach/cordova/pages/cabins/shelterbay.html

We booked spots on the charter out there on the 14th, coming back on the 19th.  The bad news is there are no more spots available on the 14th charter.  So it's just the 2 of us going.

Lots of fishing options here including salmon and trout in the bay if the weather gets rough.  Large lings, butts, and rockies outside the bay.

-Allen

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
Still sounds like a sweet trip. Is it Howard or Allen joining you?

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
It's neither Howard or Allen.  They're coming later for the mothership trip.  It's YakontheFly from the KFS board.

-Allen