Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 26, 2024, 04:02:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 24, 2024, 10:50:19 PM]

[May 24, 2024, 10:50:02 AM]

[May 24, 2024, 06:36:26 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 07:06:28 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:37:37 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:35:15 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:33:32 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

[May 21, 2024, 04:51:49 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 01:07:12 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Fishing in BC  (Read 4318 times)

greenfisher

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Oct 2009
Hi all,
I'm new to the game and looking into what I should buy for a boat.  I'm a fisherman first and paddler second, and want to be able to go at them with a down rigger.  I'm keen on the challenge and simplicity of self propulsion, but wonder if I should be looking at something like the Ocean Kayaks Torque or some sort of electric motor setup?  I live in Victoria and will be dealing with a lot of currents.  How are the Hobie pedal driven boats in current?  I will be in Seattle this weekend.  Anyone have suggestions of stores to check out?   
Thoughts, advice?  Thanks     

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Well, man powered propulsion vs. current is hard work. Personally, I went with the Hobie Adventure because it is the quickest leg powered kayak, with the option of using a paddle if I need to switch muscle groups.  I can keep a steady 3.5 mph over an extended period of time in the Hobie, using turbo fins, and I won't kill myself in a long pedal.  I make sure that I leave reserves and "take it easy" when I know I have a long haul either in flat mileage or vs. current. That speed drops to 2.5+ mph when I paddle it.  So, it all depends on the current you are dealing with. I make sure I know the power and direction of the currents at my chosen fishing grounds well before I go out.

I know that some of the more experienced paddlers can keep up 3 knots in their sit-on-tops.  It's a combination of paddle technique, muscular development and the boats characterstics.  I'm sure that some of the sit-in kayak fishermen here could smoke all of the sit on tops just because the boats are built more aqua-dynamically.

Personally, I would never take a motorized kayak into a situation where I couldn't move it as needed without the motor.

~edit~  By the way, I live in Bellingham and would be totally willing to let you take my kayak out on Lake Whatcom if you wanted to test one out!
•• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson ••

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

jself

I don't think the "torque" really has enough torque to deal with any currents above 2.5kts. It's less than exciting on flat water, can't imagine it having enough power to get anywhere quicker than paddling in current....and then your battery runs out, and your back to paddling/pedaling anyway.

It moves slower on flat water than me paddling a T-15.

I think it's fine for lakes and probably strait/sound on most days, but I wouldn't leave my paddle at home.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
not so sure the OK torque is the way to go. Native watercraft ( www.nativewatercraft.com ) also makes an electric powered yak/canoe hybrid they call the ultimate " volt" series, and several other models, that they have been modifying to use a standard electric trolling motor on. plus, there are after market kits you could purchase to add a trolling motor to the side or rear of your selected boat if you wish, that would come in way under the price points of the other two.  and, again, i do not think that would be a way to go, either, unless you are somehow disabled and can't paddle or peddle. add in that you may have to register your now motorized yak as a motor vessel, which negates the whole economics factor many find appealing to paddle craft.

we have a lot of members here who fish downriggers with and without mechanical propulsion assistance, hopefully they'll chime in and give you their Loons worth of opinion. one consensus they have arrived at is that a rudder is a must.

enjoy your stay in seattle. there is a Hobie dealer nearby and it should be listed in the yellow pages. [ hoping resident hobie team rider chimes in ]
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

deepcolor

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
Greetings greenfisher.  I fish in the San Juans from a combination of boat, powered dinghy and Hobie kayak.  Frankly, the peak currents there are tough to fish in any of them.  When I'm in my Outback, with the standard issue pedals, I can keep up with the 3 HP dinghy at full throttle for short bursts, so I've not gotten into current problems in it (yet.).  I recommend pedal for trolling because you can troll a good long time (4 hours until I start looking toward shore, and I'm not in the best shape ever) with your legs and you still have paddle as your backup.  If you study and plan for the currents, they are your friend.  That's part of the fun.  Let us know what you end up with.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 05:54:33 PM by deepcolor »
...as soon as the Advil kicks in...

tsquared

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Green fisher--I'm in Victoria too and am looking at a Hobie revolution with the turbo fins for the spring. Have you been out to the bike/kayak shop on the Colwood strip yet? I haven't talked to them lately but I expect them to get some boats in as we get closer to spring.
T2

anything