Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:06:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: NCKA transplant now in CdA, ID  (Read 4083 times)

Fishin-Jay

• Perch
  • Havana day dreamin'...
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
As much as I loved NCKA I'm pretty happy to be leaving California!

I just got a job working in CdA and I'll be moving up there April 11 with my yaks. I'm looking forward to some NWKA hookups and meeting "Skyboy". Mooch and many others have told me I need to track him down, so: Calling Skyboy! I can fish from a kayak but could use some tips on fishing the CdA area. I have home brew to trade for your wisdom!

Also, here's a gratuitous shot of my favorite catch from last year. (41.5" 28 lbs, caught in the surf zone at Linda Mar) No stripers in the CdA area, but I'm sure I'll find some sturgeon/salmon/steelhead to get into. I'm also looking forward to some long weekends in the sound.

Formerly of NCKA and missing the days of fishing Bean Hollow!

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Welcome. CdA is a cool spot. You're lucky to have found a gig up there. The Iron Horse Restaurant makes a mean lunch. And that's about all I have to offer on the town. You'll dig it though. A slice of heaven for sure...
Blog/Photo Dump

Editor, The Milkcrate, Kayak Angler Lifestyle.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Right on J. Welcome to NWKA! Let us know when you'll be down in the soundish area and we'll hookup.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

hydrospider

Hi Jay
congrats on the move, both to ID and to NWKA.
I transplanted here too, but only virtually. For now im still just a northwest wannabe.
glad to see you here.

Yakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Welcome FJ , you are in the middle of some really fine fishing--sooo we expect realllly big things---lots of posts with great pics
Good luck and stay in touch    8) 8)
Rob
There is a thin line between hobby and insanity.

• http://[img]http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/gallery/806_15_12_09_4_03_17.jpeg[/img]
  • Date Registered: Nov 2009
I grew up in N. Idaho, lived in the Sandpoint area mostly, went to school in CDA for a couple years. You picked a great inland spot to bring the kayak! Landlocked chinook in CDA, pike and muskie in Hayden lake, big ol' rainbows, lakers, and tasty koke's in the big lake, Pend Orielle just 20 mins. north. Pretty good bass fishing in Fernan lake, and some of the sloughs off the Pend Orielle river. Tons of high mountain lakes with bows and cutts withing an hour drive, browns and bulls in the smaller rivers and streams up north. Check out the Clark Fork and Pack rivers and some of their tribs for great small stream trout fishing. I don't think that there has been any sturgeon caught up there in many a year, they used to be in the river and the big lake historically, but that was a long time and a lot less dams ago. Gonna be a bit of drive for ocean run fish, but central idaho has some pretty great steelhead fishing, for being that far from the salt. Tons of good stuff to do.
I've been gone four years, and still miss it sometimes. Not so much in the winter, but there really isn't any better place to be than on the shores of the big lake in the summertime. Check out Green Bay, up on Pend Orielle near Bayview. It's probably my favorite place in the world.
If you've got kids Sherman Park in downtown CDA is maybe the coolest public park I've been too. Tons of stuff to do.
Oh yeah, they have a great farmers market in CDA, if you're into that sort of thing. Saturday mornings, and Wed. evening. Usually some pretty cool live music, lots of cool people, nice vibe.
Good luck, and enjoy the new digs!
Jonah

Fishin-Jay

• Perch
  • Havana day dreamin'...
Thanks, that is a ton of useful info!  ;D

Zee and Hydrospider, good to see you guys too! You'll have to look me up the next time you're in the Inland Empire. I'll also bee looking for at least one ocean hookup on a long weekend this summer.

I grew up in N. Idaho, lived in the Sandpoint area mostly, went to school in CDA for a couple years. You picked a great inland spot to bring the kayak! Landlocked chinook in CDA, pike and muskie in Hayden lake, big ol' rainbows, lakers, and tasty koke's in the big lake, Pend Orielle just 20 mins. north. Pretty good bass fishing in Fernan lake, and some of the sloughs off the Pend Orielle river. Tons of high mountain lakes with bows and cutts withing an hour drive, browns and bulls in the smaller rivers and streams up north. Check out the Clark Fork and Pack rivers and some of their tribs for great small stream trout fishing. I don't think that there has been any sturgeon caught up there in many a year, they used to be in the river and the big lake historically, but that was a long time and a lot less dams ago. Gonna be a bit of drive for ocean run fish, but central idaho has some pretty great steelhead fishing, for being that far from the salt. Tons of good stuff to do.
I've been gone four years, and still miss it sometimes. Not so much in the winter, but there really isn't any better place to be than on the shores of the big lake in the summertime. Check out Green Bay, up on Pend Orielle near Bayview. It's probably my favorite place in the world.
If you've got kids Sherman Park in downtown CDA is maybe the coolest public park I've been too. Tons of stuff to do.
Oh yeah, they have a great farmers market in CDA, if you're into that sort of thing. Saturday mornings, and Wed. evening. Usually some pretty cool live music, lots of cool people, nice vibe.
Good luck, and enjoy the new digs!
Jonah
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 02:42:14 PM by Fishin-Jay »

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
CdA is beautiful.  I spend some time in Sandpoint every summer and was hoping to go catch some muskies in the panhandle this summer.  If I make it there there this summer, we'll have to hook up.
-Craig

Mooch

• Perch
  • "Success is living the life you want"
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Hey Jay,

NCKA will be definitley feel your loss. You and Theresa have been nothing but positive and supportive to the NCKA family! We will miss you guys!

I'm sure we will fish the same waters soon enough.....

Congrats on the job and good luck with the move!

Joel / mooch

skyboy

• Southern Idaho Yak Pioneer (NCKA Transplant)
  • Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Jay,

Sorry for the late reply, but life here is easier, but I DEFINATELY miss the ocean and the NCKA group. We will have to touch base some time. I am south, I live in the Boise area, but fish alot around Kamiah and Kooskia, which is south of you. But the steelie action is unbelievable. We can can 50 fish a day from the clearwater. We might head up this coming weekend. My email is Jandjantionalinc@yahoo.com
Isa. 55 8-9 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts saith the Lord, for even as the Heavens are higher than the Earth, so are My thoughts than your thoughts, and My ways than your ways.

Fishin-Jay

• Perch
  • Havana day dreamin'...
Jay,

Sorry for the late reply, but life here is easier, but I DEFINATELY miss the ocean and the NCKA group. We will have to touch base some time. I am south, I live in the Boise area, but fish alot around Kamiah and Kooskia, which is south of you. But the steelie action is unbelievable. We can can 50 fish a day from the clearwater. We might head up this coming weekend. My email is Jandjantionalinc@yahoo.com

Thanks! I'll definitely be in touch once I get there. I'm moving in early April, so I'm guessing the steelhead action will be done by then, but I would really like to hookup with someone for some OTW company and to help shorten the learning curve.

-Jay

pmanaz

• Herring
Cool picture....didn't your wife catch that fish and just let you take a picture with it? 

Fishin-Jay

• Perch
  • Havana day dreamin'...
Cool picture....didn't your wife catch that fish and just let you take a picture with it? 

You're located in Colville, WA? Isn't there livestock that needs molesting somewhere? I'm surprised you have electricity for the internet much less any knowledge of "ee-lek-tro-nicks" out there in the boondocks!

pmanaz and I went to college together in Arizona. It will be nice to have an old friend just a couple hours away.  ;)

skyboy

• Southern Idaho Yak Pioneer (NCKA Transplant)
  • Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
not over, just further south by then, mostly the little salmon during that time. We'll get some fish. Travel safe and see you when you get here.
Isa. 55 8-9 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts saith the Lord, for even as the Heavens are higher than the Earth, so are My thoughts than your thoughts, and My ways than your ways.

pmanaz

• Herring

You're located in Colville, WA? Isn't there livestock that needs molesting somewhere? I'm surprised you have electricity for the internet much less any knowledge of "ee-lek-tro-nicks" out there in the boondocks!

Ouch....yeah, some days I can hear the banjos playing in the distance while paddling, but man it is beautiful up here. 

Good to have you and T close again.  Can't tell you how happy that makes us.  See you soon.