Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:27:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Hayden Lake, late report (long)  (Read 4916 times)

Fishin-Jay

• Perch
  • Havana day dreamin'...
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
Now that I am getting settled from my move (Bay Area to CdA), I have finally gotten my yak wet! On Sunday I went out to Hayden Lake for a paddle/troll/skunk  ;D  :)  :(

I launched out of Honeysuckle Beach to beautiful weather, and with no clue about the types of lures, colors, or presentations that work in Idaho. I started by heading over to some docks and a rip-rap shore. I threw a rainbow trout x-rap for a bit, twitching it sometimes, trying steady retrieves, and ripping it along the dock edges for nothing.

Next I tried a carolina rigged baby brush hog (green pumpkin) with a glass bead and clicker. I tossed that along and on top of the submerged rip-rap and weeds. Still no luck.

So now I'm a bit bored and I'm seeing some dark clouds in the distance, so I change to trolling in the general direction of the launch. On one rod I tried various J-5 and J-7 rapalas throughout the morning, and on the other rod I used a gold/blue x-rap or a brown trout kastmaster. I had one hit on the x-rap that didn't stick. Still no luck.

By this time I had been on the water about 4 hours, the wind was starting to pick up, and I could see rain moving across the lake toward me, so I paddled in.

For my first time OTW here in Idaho I wasn't expecting much, but I had a nice paddle anyhow. I haven't found my camera cord in the unpacking, otherwise I'd have some nice pics posted.

To remedy my ignorance of local fishing I went in to Fins and Flies tackle shop in CdA and told them: "I have some cash to spend, I want to catch a pike, I've never fished for them before. If you can point to a spot on a map, share some tips, and show me some recommended tackle I'd be happy to buy it from you."  :help:

So, this weekend I am on a pike hunt. I'm armed with some Husky Jerk Rapalas, a couple spoons, and steel leaders. If anyone happens to be in the CdA area I certainly would enjoy some company! I plan on launching at the BLM boat launch on CdA Lake at Wolf Lodge Bay this Saturday morning around 0700. Send me a message, meet me there, or hail me on Ch 69!  :hello:
Formerly of NCKA and missing the days of fishing Bean Hollow!

skyboy

• Southern Idaho Yak Pioneer (NCKA Transplant)
  • Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Hayden this time of year you can work the shallows and see some of the fish on their beds. I would stick with crawdad patterns for largemouth. I use to fish the northeast shorelines. My fav for most of the lake up north is a crawbug in motoroil fished carolina rigged. Give it a try and let me know how it went. Remember this year everything is spawning late due to the odd weather patterns we experienced this year. Good luck.
Isa. 55 8-9 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts saith the Lord, for even as the Heavens are higher than the Earth, so are My thoughts than your thoughts, and My ways than your ways.

Kayakanglerjim

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Hey Jay!   Jim Schreiber here.  I am hedin to Hayden for about a week.  Thought we might get out Friday and do some Kayak Fishin!   Give me a call on Thursday at 208-818-7856.  Jim