Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:19:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[Today at 10:57:58 AM]

[Today at 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Things I've Lost from my Yak  (Read 41164 times)

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007

I leaned forward to look and heard a "ploop" noise and ..........

-Craig

god I hate that sound.  ::)

:spittake:  That's exactly what I said to myself when I read "and heard a "ploop" noise "  :laugh:

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008

I leaned forward to look and heard a "ploop" noise and ..........

-Craig

god I hate that sound.  ::)

:spittake:  That's exactly what I said to myself when I read "and heard a "ploop" noise "  :laugh:

-Spot-

I got lucky and found a suitable replacement for her today.  It also supposedly can shoot video in 3D.  Costco had a good deal on the newer model of what was lost. 

The ironic part of the whole incident is that the only other pictures I took were of landmarks to locate nice crank baits I had snagged.  In fact I had just lost another walleye deep diver in 16 fow near the railroad trestle.  I was going to email them to Pelagic Paddler since he said he occasionally free dives the Willamette for fishing treasure. I figured it could help him zero in on a few of mine. ;) If you are out there PP I have the ultimate scavenger hunt for you. Dive here at the south side of the rock pile off of George Rodgers Park:     

Find a Panasonic Lumix camera, remove card and dry it out.  Then, utilizing the third and fourth to last pictures, home in on landmarks located in this vicinity:   

There will be a few crank baits nearby. :)

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
The beat goes on.....

Those plastic plier type lip grippers float...unless you attach a metal clip to them and fail to clip it something... ::)
See ya on the water..
Roy

DVO

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Garmin GPSMap 76Csx....and the worst thing is....it floats! It fell out and I hadn't noticed....and off to sea it went. Sigh.

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
I am new to kayak fishing; in fact, today was the first time I have fished from my 3 month old Hobie Oasis. I went with my buddy, Bittelsmon, who is also a newbie, but has a few trips under his belt. We floated the Yamhill, starting in Dayton, and down into the Willamette, taking out at Rogers Landing in Newberg. 

All went well. We didn't get any bass, but I learned a few things about my kayak, how better to do some things, and it was a gorgeous day, so no complaints. When we got to Rogers Landing at about 6:30 on a nice Saturday evening, so it was, of course, crowded. I thought I be courteous and take my kayak out on the dock, and not use the ramp, which was full. I dumped out the 5 gal bucket of water that I was using as ballast in the empty front seat, put it on the dock, and then put my Mirage drive, PFD, and two poles in the bucket. Then I proceeded to pull my kayak up on the dock, and promptly knocked the bucket over, and spilled the contents into the river.

While I was trying to not say a whole string of very bad words, a very quick passerby reached down and grabbed my PFD, which had the Mirage drive pedals hooked through a armhole, and wrapped around the fins of the drive was a jig attached to not one, but two, poles.

You might notice my tag line, which I wholeheartedly believe because I have seen it repeated in my life too many times. Of course, in the case I am not claiming to be good, but I am claiming to be extremely lucky. It was a very good day ;D
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Nice salmon net, a few bait knives, and a game clip.
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

Ranger Dave

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
I'm new to the NWKA forum and Kayaking, haven't even received my kayak yet but have already lost "my mind" over the possibilities and anticipated enjoyment. If you happen to be out and run across it (my mind), please leave it where you find it as I haven't used it for some time and if its in or near water, I'm certain its much happier there. Hope to meet many of you, maybe catch a fish or two and or even share a camp fire.....peace.  :icon_thumleft:
Retired Army - 67N/67V/67R/15R

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Vanilla Hawg Trough. Didn't have float or leash  :embarassed:

Time for a NWKA trough!

“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

yaksurf

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Three anchors on the umqua river this spring while sturgeon fishing.   200 feet of anchor line and anchor line spool. 
Gunny sack and some bait on a close call during a surf landing.
A small fortune in jig heads and rigs.
1st Place 2010 AOTD Sunset Bay Tournament
1st Place 2011 AOTD Sunset Bay Tournament
4th Place Gemme Shelter Six Annual Tournament
3rd Place 2012 Sunset Bay AOTD
3rd Place 2013 Sunset Bay AOTD
1st Place 2014 Sunset Bay AOTD

FishSniffer

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Mirage Adv., Outback SUV, OK Scrambler XT's
  • Midcoast Chapter of Northwest Steelheaders
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
Having kayak fished for at least 20 years you'd think I'd have lost an awful lot of stuff, but most has been tackle and pliers.  That was until the 2010 Depoe Bay Rockfish Classic.

This is what I remember losing:
Pliers
2 Lamiglas rods
2 Abu level winds
2 Plano trays full of worms, Kokohos, jig heads, etc....
A few bags of Berkeley Gulps
Several ziplocks of squid & octopus in different scents
A flag
An Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 waterproof camera I swore was tethered down.
A little pride!

After 20 years humping it in the Army generally everything gets secured and the DBRC was an exception.  Two things I'll say about tethering and leashes are 1) Clips not knots and 2) "Keep em short" as when you spill you don't want to get tied up which could prevent a self rescue and actually promote a drowning.  Don't ask me how I know but I can tell you, where they were wrapped still hurts occasionally!

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
The bands still playing...

cheap digital camera and about 150 Kayak wars points, that was yesterday....
See ya on the water..
Roy

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I'm new to the NWKA forum and Kayaking, haven't even received my kayak yet but have already lost "my mind" over the possibilities and anticipated enjoyment. If you happen to be out and run across it (my mind), please leave it where you find it as I haven't used it for some time and if its in or near water, I'm certain its much happier there. Hope to meet many of you, maybe catch a fish or two and or even share a camp fire.....peace.  :icon_thumleft:

Ha ha ha ha NO WAY!

If I find it, I'm going to take it offshore and wreck it for good.  Isn't that right Noahk?  >:D

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Yesterday.  Off the Wells Point oil dock.  Big pink on in 170 FOW, ocean tug towing an oil barge blaring their horn at me (for no reason - I WAS NOT a factor in their mooring to the dock), guy on the fan tail screaming something unintelligible, leader on the flasher and lure combined to be too long for the net, trying to peddle to make the tug happy, tossed the net down and wrestled the fish into the boat from the line.  Net gone.  Promar foldable.  Story continues and ends tragically. 
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Game Clip with 2 19" or larger Cabbies, a 25+ Ling, and a 16"+ Greenling.

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Game Clip with 2 19" or larger Cabbies, a 25+ Ling, and a 16"+ Greenling.
And my stringer with a couple 15" greenling the next day........yeah, I won't let you live it down......... At least mine was just a cheap piece of rope though. The crab at Hobuck ate good that weekend.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 10:59:12 PM by ravdakot »
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod